Contribute
Register

Maple Ridge Sleep Temporary Fix (UAD Hardware and Video Passthrough)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have am having trouble dumping the ROM on the EX 4-TR. I have both a 3.3 & 5 volt flasher, but neither work. Does this need a capacitor? Is there a modified ROM already? And is there a SSDT for it?

Interesting- I find this only works with an Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter. The Startech adapter is not working.

I was able to capture the OEM Firmware with my 3.3v chip reader, but it was a major hassle. I believe there's a post on the z390 thread about using proper copper Dupont cables on the clip with these Macronix chips. I'll search for it in a bit and update this post.

I actually assumed that I ruined my chip so I sent the card off to have the chip removed and replaced with a socket so I could keep testing as we learn about Maple Ridge firmware. I also installed a socket on the daughter board of my chip reader. It reads super well and is very easy to operate. However no luck with the modifications just yet.

Attached is the SSDT I use. Make sure to replace PEG1/PEGP with RPXX/PXSX.

Even though the card works with no header attached, I do believe we need to a have a Thunderbolt Controller on our motherboards. So, make sure its all enabled in BIO.

One note about using the card on a board without a Thunderbolt Controller. I've been able to fully disable Thunderbolt in BIOS and still see the EX4 in IOReg. However, once I power on a device it crashes macOS. I'm going to attempt this again tonight but with AppleThunderboltNHI.kext loaded first.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3HP-JHL8540-MAPLE-RIDGE-PEG1.aml
    1.7 KB · Views: 72
Did your z170 have a Thunderbolt Header and did you have an SSDT to go with it? With my setup I need an SSDT to get things going.
Hmmm… no I did not try a SSDT. I also tried it in Windows, and while the Thunderbolt controller 1137 was detected, nothing connected to it (except DisplayPort video output) would connect. So I gave up.

Major hassle indeed (many hours lost). I just ordered an expensive flashing kit, so hopefully that does it. I have a fairly large kit of capacitor's too, if that's all I need to use with my current flashers I would be happy to try it. Isn't that what these Macronix chips need (or maybe 1.8 volt)?

I'm going to try installing this in a Mac Pro. I have a 5,1 here and a 7,1. I also have hacks I can test it on. I've been meaning to look and potentially dump the ROM on the 7,1 Thunderbolt 3 card. Perhaps we can learn something from it.

@TheWiggler I found this post from user @ckrueger99 that I think would be helpful to you getting a good read.

As for my EX4 (the EX3 read with the standard stuff) I had the Macronix Chip removed and replaced with a socket from Adafruit along with a second socket added to the daughter board of my CH341a reader. Hopefully we see another Intel Mac Pro this year and it has Maple Ridge!

1622721488931.png

Did I break the clip immediately? Yes. But the socket comes with a cover that snaps on (not pictured) and that does the trick. So, if anyone goes this route please dont hulk out and dont throw away any parts.

Last edited:
@NorthAmTransAm, have you made progress with TB4?

I ask because I just took delivery of a Gigabyte Maple Ridge card in hopes progress is being made to integrate the card with macOS Big Sur and Monterey.

@NorthAmTransAm, have you made progress with TB4?

I ask because I just took delivery of a Gigabyte Maple Ridge card in hopes progress is being made to integrate the card with macOS Big Sur and Monterey.

I have not! I need to do a physical repair on but have been absolutely slammed. Last I checked the gang was very very close to a full Thunderbolt bus without flashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back