Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
I was thinking about changing the permissions on the EFI-Backups folder on my CustoMac to read/write and manually saving my Clover back ups to it. I notice that it usually only contains one previous back up on it by default. I generally boot up from an EFI partition on another drive and store historical Clover EFI back ups elsewhere going back a couple of months as a contingency. It would be neat if I could put some of these historical back ups there as it's what the folder is there for. Would this be a bad idea in terms of messing with the permissions and adding additional folders into it?

Well I tried it and it doesn't work. Even with the 'everyone' user category as read/write for that folder, OS X still won't let you do anything but read, even if in the Get Info tab it says you should be able to. However, it is not possible to change the permissions back to 'read only' as it states I do not have the necessary permissions (folder was unlocked using password clicking on padlock symbol on bottom right). In the middle of the info window, Shared folder has no tick and Locked is greyed out with no tick. Is this fixable? Can I just leave it with the modified permissions without any effect? Not noticed anything so far.

Well I tried it and it doesn't work. Even with the 'everyone' user category as read/write for that folder, OS X still won't let you do anything but read, even if in the Get Info tab it says you should be able to. However, it is not possible to change the permissions back to 'read only' as it states I do not have the necessary permissions (folder was unlocked using password clicking on padlock symbol on bottom right). In the middle of the info window, Shared folder has no tick and Locked is greyed out with no tick. Is this fixable? Can I just leave it with the modified permissions without any effect? Not noticed anything so far.
just copy them to your documents folder

Yep, it''s a great way to back-up your ability to boot a machine and doesn't require hours of CCC-ing or other arcane techniques.

Not that I'm a bit OCD about it or anything ...

EFI.png

Just a quick snap of a few that I have on my data drive. o_O :lol:

I put them in my user folder, which is almost the same yeah. It just would be nice to have them in a folder already designed for that purpose and keep data file back ups out of the user documents folder etc. I guess I could dump them in the Library somewhere if I really wanted to. Question is whether it's worth trying to fix the 'damage' I've done to the permissions of the EFI-Backups folder or not.

Yep, it''s a great way to back-up your ability to boot a machine and doesn't require hours of CCC-ing or other arcane techniques.

Not that I'm a bit OCD about it or anything ...

Just a quick snap of a few that I have on my data drive. o_O :lol:
Reassuring that they are all working!!

Reassuring that they are all working!!

Yes, I don't suppose I'd save them if they weren't. (I did say I was a bit OCD...) Hey, but no permissions worries.

Off-topic, but I do the same for OpenCore:

OC.png

Interestingly I've changed "Working" for "Current" o_O Whodathought?

:)

Last edited:
Yes, I don't suppose I'd save them if they weren't. (I did say I was a bit OCD...) Hey, but no permissions worries.

Off-topic, but I do the same for OpenCore:

Interestingly I've changed "Working" for "Current" o_O Whodathought?

:)

Thanks. After a couple of reboots I was able to change the permissions back in the info window for the folder. Not sure it made any difference anyway, the actual back ups themselves had the normal permissions inside EFI-Backups despite my meddling with the main folder itself and apart from Clover, the OS doesn't do anything with it? Haven't tried OpenCore yet although I definitely will need to migrate at some point as will everyone else. Getting the GUI custom entries working was challenging so I'm not keen to repeat it again with OpenCore in the short term lol. Funny you have both 'working' and 'current' in your back up file names, I just use the date and a description of the changes, like version number of kext or Clover version, the file names get long but it is useful. The up to date Clover with latest kexts seems to work with all the different versions of OS X (Sierra and above) I've been using with the same kexts and settings and keeping the old Devices entries for the older versions of OS X in case I need to boot them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back