Contribute
Register

ManHands' Haswell Build: i7-4770K - GA-Z87X-UD5H - 32GB RAM - GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Yeah I had turn the v-core down!! This f9 BIOS was the 2nd for the Devils Canyon for the board and was giving it 1.37 by default o_O:eek:o_O with temps to match!!

I believe there is a newer beta BIOS 10c that corrects the issue, but for now it's a beta so I'll stay away....

The fix you and I worked out is detailed here..I'm getting 4.4 at 1.97vcore for now...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-4790k-z97n-working-i7-4790-a.html#post835330

The problem was if you had the cpu at 4.0 with boost to 4.4 (the default BIOS setting) it would hang booting with a keystore error.

As I said, I had to BIOS set turbo-boost to Enabled not Auto and set Cores 3 and 4 to 44 and then boot to 10.9.4, build the ssdt to manage multipliers using the script, made your suggested bootplist changes and appear to have EIST. It's all good now, if a workaround/hack/bodge/whatever!! So I get 4.4 under heavy workload/benching with lower frequencies for minor work. HW is miles off, Intel Power Gadget, as you said, is much more accurate.

View attachment 97457

Thanks again...

Sorry if I'm writing to an old post, but I'm searching for days and can't find anything. I had the same board and 4790k and I had problems with temps when i have vcore to auto. 100 C!!!
When i set it to 1.2V the temps drop down.
What i have to do to lock the cpu at 4Ghz? And vcore of course.
No need for overclocking. Just need to have good temps at full loads.
Is it safe to update bios to 10c?
Thnx in advanced

SOLVED!!
I updated bios to 10c on the second bios with SingleBios mode. All temps are good with full load

First of all I want to thank you for this post.
I am new here and I want to ask if is possible to substitute the components like this:

MB: GA-Z87X-UD5H with GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz with Intel i7-4790K 1150 i7-4790K, 4.00 GHz

What i want to say is: can I use your installation on a system verry similar?

I am new here and I want to ask if is possible to substitute the components like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz with Intel i7-4790K 1150 i7-4790K, 4.00 GHz

Not exactly. I believe audio and ethernet chips are different, and maybe a few other things as well. There are lots of Z97 and 4790K user builds out there. I'd recommend starting with one of those threads.

With a bios update to F10c is possible...
Sorry. Forget it. Didn't read it well!

Greetings ManHands. Long time no talk, hope all has been well.

Listen up! Forgive the necro..Have you moved to Yosemite?

If so, ho did it go, any advice and the like? Mavs is golden for me, but I've reached the point where key apps wont update without 10.10 so, you being the only one I know in my boat, I thought I'd ask.

Good things as ever,

Amblin

Amblin, sorry if it isn't my place to comment, but I've got a basically identical build to this one, down to the case, with the exception of using a 4790K rather than the 4770K. I've long since gone to Yosemite, and I'm sorry to say I've run into an issue or two. One is that, with the current settings, wake from sleep no longer works. I haven't tried a whole lot of experimentation with it lately as I've been working on a couple other things; getting iMessage working, installing a second SSD to run Win7, putting in an adapted Apple AC wireless card (the first of which went well only after much gnashing of teeth and a couple awkward cloning sessions, the second of which went surprisingly easily, and the latter of which was flawless and enabled Handoff with no configuration required). I've simply taken to shutting down my machine when I'm going to be away for awhile and simply dealing with it of late, though I'll likely soon be prepared to take another crack at it. I'm also getting occasional freezes when running Handbrake for long periods, and it (sadly?) does not seem to be heat-related.

Hi,

I have pretty much the same build except I'm using the on-board graphics via HDMI and no additional graphics card.
I changed my system definition from Mac Pro 3,1 to 5,1 and don't see a huge difference. I noticed some people with this mobo went with iMac 14,2. Can you tell me if and what improvements you have over the Mac Pro setting? I'm running 2 partitions (Mtn Lion and Yosemite) and basically use this machine for Pro Tools HD.

Thanks!

Are you still using the ALC898 Audio drivers?
I'd like to connect a small powered speaker for movies, etc and not have to run my Pro Tools hardware.
I'm running Yosemite 10.10.3, and was curious if there's a newer/better audio driver for this mobo?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back