Contribute
Register

ManHands' Haswell Build: i7-4770K - GA-Z87X-UD5H - 32GB RAM - GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey!

Any chance you could confirm for me the 4 USB settings you have set in your BIOS please? Including XHCI and so on please? EHCI, Legacy, etc...

Mine has suddenly got haywire USB issues with multiple ports either not coming up or going wildly wonky coupled with haywire mouse movements. Bluetooth dongle no longer working correctly. To my knowledge I changed nothing :crazy:

I have Fresco FL1100 chip (I think?) USB 3.0 board as well as the onboard ones. It has native support :)

All absolutely fine in Win 8.1.1

Thanks in advance as ever,

Amblin

Courtesy Call! I fixed it.

OK, so despite everything working just fine on Win8.1.1, almost complete loss of USB devices on OSX side. This behaviour reflected in booting but with no keyboard, booting, but no mouse, booting but neither, booting but other USB devices missing or in various combinations of above.

Solution

Unplugged/Removed all USB devices except for KB and Mouse. Booted just fine. Then added each USB device back with a reboot in between each time to prove. All OK. Webcam, TV Card, Sound Card, BT Dongle. All good.

Back to where I was, I am curious. Why did OSX get USB all scrambled, but Windows remained just fine?

Note, I did shutdown in between, not just simply restart. I was thinking it would force the BIOS to rediscover the devices that way. Any how, I'm guessing IRQ's and other things got correctly reasssigned again and sorted itself out.

Could have been a disaster. No recovery solution without a working USB keyboard. No keyboard =No TM recovery.

Cheers!

Amblin

Thanks so much for taking the time to write up this build! It helped me out a lot in the process of my incredibly similar one (basically identical except for the drives + 4790K). Everything seems to be working for me now, except on the Define R4, I can't seem to get the front headphone port to work anymore. It was working flawlessly after running Multibeast, but somewhere between there and here (all I've done since then is follow the iMessage fix guide and the discussion here to turn Turbo Boost up to 4.7). The USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports on the front are functioning perfectly still. Any thoughts, by chance?

Thanks in advance.

Everything seems to be working for me now, except on the Define R4, I can't seem to get the front headphone port to work anymore.

Good find. Honestly, I never used it. So never crossed my mind to check. But, I can confirm that mine isn't working either. I can do some testing this weekend. But, if you come across anything in the mean time, let me know.

Well, I figured it out for me. I can't say if this will solve the issue for you or anyone else, but I remembered something: these aren't just plain old, garden variety USB audio ports. If they were, they wouldn't be able to sense headphones being plugged in. And when they were working, they were doing exactly that: behaving just as if they were the standard headphone port on a real Mac, instead of a separate USB audio device that the Sound pref panel would've listed as 'Define R4 USB audio' or something like that, which is the way it works if you plug in a Griffin iMic, or Nuforce uDAC, or any other USB audio device.

Then I remembered that I did change one other thing in my case to get things working: I disconnected my fans from the Define R4's fan controller—which I was struggling to make work properly—and connected them directly to the motherboard's fan ports, at which point they began working flawlessly. As such, I no longer needed the fan controller's molex connection to be hooked up, and I disconnected it. So, on a whim, remembering how physically close the audio ports were to that fan connector switch, I reconnected the fan controller to molex, and powered the machine back on. Bam. Working.

Then I remembered that i did change one other thing in my case to get things working: I disconnected my fans from the Define R4's fan controller—which I was struggling to make work properly—and connected them directly to the motherboard's fan ports, at which point they began working flawlessly. As such, I no longer needed the fan controller's molex connection to be hooked up, and I disconnected it. So, on a whim, remembering how physically close the audio ports were to that fan connector switch, I reconnected the fan controller to molex, and powered the machine back on. Bam. Working.

Nice work. More than likely the cause to mine as well. I didn't have any issues with the R4's fan controller, but I also have both of my front fans connected directly to two different sysfan connectors on the MB (personally just wanted to control them in the BIOS). I have a few other things to add to the OP, so I'll do a test this weekend to confirm and update with reference to your post. Thanks for sharing.

Hi!

I am having some serious problem with a similar build.
The system freezes when I am using FCPX or Luxmark. Luxmark only freezes when I test both the CPU and GPU or the CPU only.
I tried clover and chameleon installs, nvidia driver, IGPU enabled, disabled and almost every bios settings. Same happened. With clover it also restarts.

Crash log: http://pastebin.com/DaPwggqm

Parts
Motherboard: Z87X-UD5H (tried both F9 and F10C)
CPU: I7-4790
GPU: Gigabyte GTX760
Mem: 16GB Corsair (CML16GX3M2A1600C10)
PSU: Corsair cs650m

My build is about a year old, so last night i did a fresh reinstall and finally enabled power management. I can't thank you enough for the troubleshooting info you've provided.

Figuring out the BIOS settings to enable PM would have totally defeated me. You're the best.

I'm too scared to plug in my bluetooth dongle tho.

I'm unable to reach installation. I tried many and many flags without success.
With -x npci=0x3000 flag I can reach installation, but it hangs with an error (unknown) after few minutes.
My BIOS version if F8. What I can do?

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    386.9 KB · Views: 195
Updated to 10.9.5. I updated w/out issue using the following steps. More info contained in this post.

1. Download Combo Update
  2. Repair permissions
  3. Backup using preferred backup method (I use CCC)
  4. Install 10.9.5 update and restart
  5. Download MultiBeast 6.5
  6. Reinstall Audio drivers and TRIM patch
  7. Repair permissions and reboot

I've reverted back to the native OS X default graphics driver. The NVIDIA drivers have been pinpointed as the cause of some random freezing recently. Since the OpenCL issue is still present w/ the default graphics driver, I've reapplied the fix found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back