Contribute
Register

Making Windows 8 my Default Boot Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here for example, I found this - "Default Partition"=hd(<x>,<y>) | <uuid> | <label>
Sets the default boot partition, Specified as a disk/partition pair, an uuid, or a label enclosed in quotes [No default]

Searching on Google, and on here. Ok what Now? It doesn't exactly give me anymore info on it. Like "how To's that is how we learn. Not to sound like a dick, I come on here to learn, but when something or someone is very short with what they say, How can I learn? It's just frustrating for someone who doesn't work with this stuff every day of the week like some of you might do.

Here for example, I found this - "Default Partition"=hd(<x>,<y>) | <uuid> | <label>
Sets the default boot partition, Specified as a disk/partition pair, an uuid, or a label enclosed in quotes [No default]

Searching on Google, and on here. Ok what Now? It doesn't exactly give me anymore info on it. Like "how To's that is how we learn. Not to sound like a dick, I come on here to learn, but when something or someone is very short with what they say, How can I learn? It's just frustrating for someone who doesn't work with this stuff every day of the week like some of you might do.

If you hit Tab at the bootloader screen the hd(x,y) will become more obvious.

Well, thanks for the Help, I found this -

"In /Extra/org.Chameleon.Boot.plist, add:

Code:
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>YOUR WINDOWS DISK HERE</string>
You can use either the name of the partition/disk (which can be shakey), the UUID of the partition/disk, or the disk number thing (like hd(0,2) which would be disk0s2. You can find that in disk utility or terminal using "diskutil list".)"

This is what I was trying to tell you, I needed a visual example, just so I could see how it looked when written out in the list. It's coming back to me now, some people don't learn the same way you do, just for future reference.

I'll keep in mind what you said about reading up more on it and using that Chameleon Wizard, I'll give it a shot, but like I said if I'm not going to use it very often, I should concentrate on more important things.

Well, thanks for the Help, I found this -

"In /Extra/org.Chameleon.Boot.plist, add:

Code:
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>YOUR WINDOWS DISK HERE</string>
You can use either the name of the partition/disk (which can be shakey), the UUID of the partition/disk, or the disk number thing (like hd(0,2) which would be disk0s2. You can find that in disk utility or terminal using "diskutil list".)"

This is what I was trying to tell you, I needed a visual example, just so I could see how it looked when written out in the list. It's coming back to me now, some people don't learn the same way you do, just for future reference.

This is why I suggested you use Chameleon Wizard to put something in there. Then you could have inspected the file itself to see how the file was modified.

Also, I still recommend you use a plist editor if you're not familiar with plist syntax.

Note: The information you found is slightly inaccurate. There is no guarantee that the disk/partition numbers shown by 'diskutil list' correspond to the numbers used by the bootloader. Use Tab at the bootloader screen to see actual disk/partition identifiers.

What I used worked just fine. But I understand where you're coming from. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back