Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have Windows 8 installed on a separate drive, it works fine, it's my main OS on this build. I have Mavericks installed on a 2nd HD. I want my Windows Drive to boot first. My question, how do I change this? I'm on and off on this website, I think I had an answer for this a few years ago, but I can't remember how to set this up? Is there a way to change them around in the Chimera Boot Screen?

I have Windows 8 installed on a separate drive, it works fine, it's my main OS on this build. I have Mavericks installed on a 2nd HD. I want my Windows Drive to boot first. My question, how do I change this? I'm on and off on this website, I think I had an answer for this a few years ago, but I can't remember how to set this up? Is there a way to change them around in the Chimera Boot Screen?

Set "Default Partition" in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Thanks, But where exactly do I put it in this code? This isn't mine, only an example. Does it have to be in a certain place in that code is what I'm trying to say.

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0 npci=0x3000</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Thanks, But where exactly do I put it in this code? This isn't mine, only an example. Does it have to be in a certain place in that code is what I'm trying to say.

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0 npci=0x3000</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

They are key/value pairs. Use Chameleon Wizard if you don't know what that means.

Still a little confusing? any chance of getting an example of what it looks like? You said - They are key/value pairs. Use Chameleon Wizard if you don't know what that means.

Sooo I have this - "Set "Default Partition" in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist."

Ok got it, Now where and what do i type in the chameleon.Boot.plist and in what order, does it go below everything, in the middle before or after a certain set of the code?

This is where I'm getting confused. I looked up "Chameleon Wizard" I'm not really sure what I should be looking for with that?

Still a little confusing? any chance of getting an example of what it looks like? You said - They are key/value pairs. Use Chameleon Wizard if you don't know what that means.

Well I looked that up, but it doesn't really answer my question. I remember years ago just switching some code around or adding some to the file you mentioned in the Extra folder. I never had to use Chameleon Wizard, I don't even think it was out at the time. I built this back in 2010. I had this set up back then. I just forgot how to switch it around.

Download Chameleon Wizard and use it. You can use it and examine your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist to see how your selections there affect the contents.

Or read some documentation on XML and org.chameleon.Boot.plist so you know how the Default Partition option works.

It is not difficult, but you do have to put some effort into learning how to configure your bootloader.

Sorry, I had just re-worded what I previously said.

Sooo I have this - "Set "Default Partition" in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist."

Ok got it, Now where and what do i type in the chameleon.Boot.plist and in what order, does it go below everything, in the middle before or after a certain set of the code?

This is where I'm getting confused. I looked up "Chameleon Wizard" I'm not really sure what I should be looking for with that?

I don't remember doing a lot of work last time, have no problems with doing it. But I remember just going into that Plist and adding a little bit of code and BOOM done. Maybe I'm wrong? This was back in 2010.

Sorry, I had just re-worded what I previously said.

I don't remember doing a lot of work last time, have no problems with doing it. But I remember just going into that Plist and adding a little bit of code and BOOM done. Maybe I'm wrong? This was back in 2010.

I'm suggesting you should read the available documentation for org.chameleon.Boot.plist "Default Partition" option as opposed to asking others to tell you what to put there...

The other option is to use Chameleon Wizard (which can edit your org.chameleon.Boot.plist) for you. And if you're curious as to how it changes your org.chameleon.Boot.plist, look at the file before/after for comparison.

There is plenty of documentation on the Default Partition option if you care to search for it. You have access to google, right?

Yeah I tried a search on here first, and google, found a few things in the forum about partitions and such, again not what I'm doing. I have two separate drives not Win and OSX Installed on two different partitions on one drive, so those articles were useless for me.

Only reason I ask for a visual example is because I did this once before years ago and it didn't seem hard at all and I never used any app to do it, it was just adding what you had previously said in the Boot.plist, I get it, I just need to know where it goes, Top, bottom, middle of all of that chunk of code, that is what I forgot. I'll check out what you had mentioned, I downloaded the Chameleon Wizard, but if all i'm doing is changing this one time, I don't see a use in using it ever again, but who knows maybe I will. I just wanted a quick fix for this right now, until I get everything else setup.

Yeah I tried a search on here first, and google, found a few things in the forum about partitions and such, again not what I'm doing. I have two separate drives not Win and OSX Installed on two different partitions on one drive, so those articles were useless for me.

Only reason I ask for a visual example is because I did this once before years ago and it didn't seem hard at all and I never used any app to do it, it was just adding what you had previously said in the Boot.plist, I get it, I just need to know where it goes, Top, bottom, middle of all of that chunk of code, that is what I forgot.

If you are not familiar with plist format, these are my suggestions:
- use a plist editor
- use Chameleon Wizard as a learning tool

I'll check out what you had mentioned, I downloaded the Chameleon Wizard, but if all i'm doing is changing this one time, I don't see a use in using it ever again, but who knows maybe I will. I just wanted a quick fix for this right now, until I get everything else setup.

To your own admission, this is your second time needing to accomplish this task. The prior time, the answer was spoon fed and you learned nothing. Perhaps this time, you can learn about what you're actually doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back