Contribute
Register

Making NEC USB 3.0 Card Fully Comportable with Original MAC Drivers [CalDigit, LaCie, Oyen]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CPU
intel core duo
Graphics
ati x1600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Making NEC USB 3.0 Card Fully Comportable with Original MAC Drivers [CalDigit, LaCie, Sonnet, Oyen]

So, Now We can to change Subsystem Vendor ID and Subsystem Device ID for Your
NEC/RENESAS USB3 Controller on chip (uPD720200 & uPD720200a)

for uPD720201/uPD720202 - check my post attachment #36

All latest original MAC drivers, before locked for us, will be available from Vendors by Your choice:
CalDigit MAC Driver or
LaCie MAC Driver or
Oyen Digital MAC Driver or
Sonnet MAC Driver and etc...

The MAC Drivers locked in differences Subsystem Vendor ID / Subsystem Device ID

Controllers on chip Nec/RENESAS has similar main vendor is NEC forever - Vendor ID: 1033 / Device ID: 0194​

Sonnet - Subsystem Vendor ID: 16B8 / Subsystem Device ID: 5701
(This driver in System Info Showing PCI Cards Driver Installed: Yes and SXHCD.kext loaded fine and working immediately with all cards, support full speed USB 3.0 only with Drives without external power or low power required).
This driver more stable when original LaCie kext without any patches and Perfect working in full USB 3.0 mode with best Performance and speed.

NOW it's The Best Driver
for flashing Subsystem ID method, Perfect working without any patches!!!

LaCie - Subsystem Vendor ID: 059F / Subsystem Device ID: 0194
(This driver in System Info Showing PCI Cards Driver Installed: Yes and PXHCD.kext loaded fine and working immediately with all cards, but only with USB 2.0 Devices, original driver is locked, and supporting full speed USB 3.0 only with LaCie Drives) - Need patched last PXHCD.kext 1.0.11 for unlocking all usb drives, in patched kext may be issues with performance or stability.

CalDigit
- Subsystem Vendor ID: 2188 / Subsystem Device ID: 0194 for PCI Express Card (Desktop) and Device ID: 0195 for ExpressCard (NoteBook)
(This driver in System Info Showing PCI Cards Driver Installed: Yes and CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext loaded fine, but only 1 or 2 of 10 cards working immediately with all USB Devices, other cards with unknown reasons don't want find any USB Devices) - Need more research for supporting uPD720200 / uPD720200a cards. Try it with uPD720201/uPD720202 cards - Post #36

Oyen Digital - Subsystem Vendor ID: 0DC4 / Subsystem Device ID: 0194
(This driver in System Info Showing PCI Cards Driver Installed: Yes and mXHCD.kext loaded fine, but most cards with unknown reasons don't want find any USB Devices) - Need more research for supporting cards. Try it with uPD720201/uPD720202 cards - Post #46

Intel - Subsystem Vendor ID: 8086 / Subsystem Device ID: 1E31
(This driver in System Info Showing PCI Cards Driver Installed: Yes and only patched AppleUSBXHCI.kext loaded fine and mostly working immediately, but may be issues with performance or stability on non Intel Cards) - Need patched plugin AppleUSBXHCI.kext inside of IOUSBFamily.kext from native OS 10.8.2 for supporting non Intel chipset. More info...
And Now GenericUSBXHCI Project - Source

Renesas
- Subsystem Vendor ID: 1912 / Subsystem Device ID: 0015
(Just original ID's by Renesas Vendor for NEC/RENESAS USB3 Cards)

In Attachment ORIGINAL Latest Firmware for NEC chip uPD720200 & uPD720200a and Tool for Flashing it with any Subsystem Vendor ID / Subsystem Device ID by Your Choice.

The NEW Original Firmware Version 4.0.2.1.0.3 pour NEC uPD720200a only - 10/05/13
Perfect working with latest original Sonnet USB 3.0 Driver (Mac) 1.0.9b1 - 25/02/13

Instructions:

Download Attachment and unpack IT.
2. Now We have to make boot USB with Free DOS under Windows using Rufus.
3. Run rufus_v1.0.7f.exe in fat 32 /Quick Format / Create a DOS bootable disk.
4. Open Flash folder and copy all the contents to the USB Bootable drive you just made. Open CFG.INI file from USB drive in notepad.
Change FFFF to desired
SubSystemVendor ID and SubSystem ID (Device ID) from Vendor List.txt
Code:
[SubSystemVendorID]
FFFF
[SubSystemID]
FFFF
Save CFG.INI
Insert Your NEC USB 3.0 Card with empty usb ports.
Restart, enter the Bios or rEFIt and choose your bootable usb drive.
5. Under Free DOS Type in the command below exactly.

Code:
D200FW36.EXE /srom ?
It's detect your chip uPD720200 or uPD720200a and rev. 3 or 4 ....
If your detected chip will be uPD720200 rev. 3 Type in the command below exactly.
Code:
D200FW36.EXE /srom 0 /writeall F303408.MEM CFG.INI
If your detected chip will be uPD720200a rev.4 Type in the command below exactly.
Code:
D200FW36.EXE /srom 0 /writeall F402003.MEM CFG.INI
8. Reboot to MAC OS and now you can install driver from Vendor then you
desire flash before with SubSystemVendor ID and SubSystem ID (Device ID).
You Can change
FFFF to desired in CFG.INI again and Flash again many times as you wish.

Please post hear new information and ADD LIST THE NEW Subsystem Vendor ID and Subsystem Device ID...

Attachments

• Flash ID Renesas NEC USB 3.0.zip
    549.5 KB · Views: 5,785
Last edited:
Not sure I completely understand how this helps us.
What this flash updating seem to do is make the USB3 hardware look like it is from one the original manufacturers.
That is, take a generic NEC PCI-Express board and turn it into a Lacie board.
Is that my correct understanding ?

If so, then it does not helps us because Lacie drivers, for example, check the actual USB drive plugged into the USB3 port. And if the drive is not a Lacie branded drive, then it rejects that drive and does not mount it.

The patched kext in multibeast bypasses that check.
That is, you still need a patched kext.

Please correct anything that I have misunderstood.

LaCie drivers is one of many other for example.
You can make card Branded is CalDigit with full futures without checking USB drives not like LaCie or make it Branded for Oyen Digital without checking USB drives too.
Will be possibly soon others new Brands like Sonnet and many other. It's your choice to decide what is your favorit Brand.
No needed any more wait for become new drivers will be patched and available for all.

Will this work with built in chips?

Support only chip (uPD720200 & uPD720200a) built-in or removable.
If you has this chip you can make it.
Check steps 1-5 in instruction to detect your chip.

Just wondering,
Why not then flash the USB 3.0 ship to make it look as an original USB 3.0 from Apple, thus using native drivers for it ? But in that case, we would maybe need to add some DSDT edits, which seemed unsuccessful so far...
If native OS X drivers by Apple support NEC chip (uPD720200 & uPD720200a), so no problem, you can do it simply to Change FFFF to Apple SubSystemVendor ID and SubSystem Device ID in cfg.ini and flash it by steps in instruction.

Since the 10.8.2 update, built in NEC RENESAS chips on many Gigabyte boards are now fully functional (again) using the vendor's driver/kext without mod'n or rollbacks. I am not too sure about the Etron USB3 controller that some Gigabyte main-boards use (i.e. GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3); I could be wrong but last I read Etron USB3 was not supported. Anyway, if you are still having issues after the update double check to see if you have any USB kexts from a previous version of OS X, and replace them with the ones from the update (you can extract them using Pacifist).

What I do know is that since the release of Mountain Lion, many users are having problems with their 3rd party PCI USB3 cards (even on real Macs), having to rollback certain USB related kexts. This will help out a lot! Good work DZLK! :p

I Just found what also other NEC/RENESAS USB3 Chip (uPD720201 & uPD720202) can be flashed with desired SubSystemVendor ID and SubSystem ID (Device ID) using different flashing tool but MAC drivers from Vendors supporting this chip not available, may be possibly soon.

OK I flashed my "generic" PCI-E card that is based on 720200 Rev 3 chip.
All went well with the flash as Caldigit board (VID: 2188, PID: 0194)

Steps I took:

1. Deleted Lacie USB3 PXHCD.kext (repaired permission, etc and rebooted to make sure all was ok).
2. On a Windows7 PC, created the flash boot USB as per DZLK instructions.
3. Booted the USB and flashed the board. All OK.
4. Booted OS X (10.6.8) and all is fine. Of course my USB3 HDD are not visible in Finder as no kexts are loaded.
5. Downloaded latest Caldigit CalDigit_USB3_Driver_10_6_X_1.3.6.pkg from their site and ran it. It installed fine.
6. Reboot OS X. System Profiler shows me that I have a Super Speed USB port. Kext Wizard showed that Caldigit kext loaded
7. I attach my USB3 HDD and nothing happens - it's not detected. Unplugged and replugged it and still no joy :(
8. Rebooted with the USB3 HDD attached. Still not visible. Tried another USB3 HDD - no joy. There are no errors in the logs.
9. Downloaded Caldigit uninstaller and ran it. It hung - had to force quit. Even Disk Utility hung. Hard power-off needed
10. Rebooted, spent the next hours trying to repair the OS X :banghead:
11. Not sure if all the changes that Caldigit installer made have been reversed :| but Disk Utility repair permissions now done.
12. Installed PXHCD.kext using kext wizard and now I am back to where I was two hours ago (I hope).

Any ideas what went wrong ?
Anyone else tried to use "off-the-shelf" kexts ?

Mac

Downloaded latest Caldigit CalDigit_USB3_Driver_10_6_X_1.3.6.pkg from their site and ran it. It installed fine.
Ok, your system is 10.6.8?
Do you have any console messages when you attach USB3 HDD?
What Show
System Profiler in section Super Speed USB port ---> Bus Number: ?

Try to find in CalDigit-USB3-Driver.zip ---> For Mac OSX 10.6 ---> RollBack Folder and install CalDigit_USB3_Driver_10_6_8_RBK.pkg
And you can try to install with CalDigit Driver native Apple kext USB 3.0 http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desktop-support/55560-native-usb-3-0-support-lion.html i mean only native kexts IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back