Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z87-A
CPU
i5-4670k
Graphics
GTX 980
Hi there, long time reader of these forums, first time poster. I'm having some problems booting Mavericks so I wondered if you guys could help. My apologies in advance, I'm a total noob at all of this.

I've managed to successfully install Mavericks using the following tutorial:

http://www.tonymacx8...ing-clover.html

However, I'm having problems with booting. My mobo is a Z87-A, which actually has UEFI, but I've disabled it as my Windows 7 install requires that I have it disabled. In order to do this, I enabled "CSM" in my BIOS setup.

Now when I followed the tutorial above, I used the legacy BIOS method of installing Clover to a stick, but the stick wouldn't boot unless I disabled CSM. I managed to boot the USB, and install Mavericks fine. However, I then ran into problems when installing Clover to the EFI partition. I again used the legacy BIOS instructions; the bootloader appears (the USB is not inserted and it is a different skin so I know it's using the loader on my EFI partition) but when I select boot Mavericks I get the error "Error exiting boot services" and Mavericks won't boot. Likewise, Windows won't boot.

It seems as though the USB I made installed as UEFI, even though I specified as BIOS. Same with the EFI partition on my install drive. I've tried making a few more clover USBs, specifying legacy BIOS settings each time, and in my BIOS I get an option for "UEFI: USB 2.0 disk" and "USB 2.0 disk" - I select "USB 2.0 disk" as first boot option, if UEFI is turned off it will not boot (with Windows drive disconnected).

What am I doing wrong? Why does clover set the boot USB as UEFI every time? These are the settings I've used:

Install clover in the ESP
Bootloader: install boot0af in the MBR
CloverEFI: cloverEFI 64 bits SATA
Themes:eek:range

Using minimal config.plist from this tutorial:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...ow-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover-8.html

I'd really appreciate some help - thanks so much in advance.

Having done some more research it seems that the Z87 doesn't support booting GPT+ disks in legacy mode, ie. if I have an EFI partition (even if the EFI partition is formatted FAT32) on my GPT formatted mavericks install then it won't boot.

Is there any way around this? Does this mean that if I want to boot my GPT Mavericks, alongside my MBR Windows, I'll always have to boot using a Clover USB (formatted MBR with legacy BIOS settings)?

Having done some more research it seems that the Z87 doesn't support booting GPT+ disks in legacy mode, ie. if I have an EFI partition (even if the EFI partition is formatted FAT32) on my GPT formatted mavericks install then it won't boot.

Is there any way around this? Does this mean that if I want to boot my GPT Mavericks, alongside my MBR Windows, I'll always have to boot using a Clover USB (formatted MBR with legacy BIOS settings)?

BIOS Setting
Launch CSM = Auto

or

Launch CSM = [Enabled]
Boot Devices Control = [UEFI and Legacy OpROM]

This allows OS X EFI boot and Windows Legacy boot.

If you are going to boot with Clover, why not go UEFI and install Windows UEFI on GUID/NTFS formatted drive? Is much less trouble than having mixed formats. Then you can install Clover to the OS X SSD EFI partition and not worry about it.

I did try that, I tried all combinations of CSM, but I just got a white flashing cursor when trying to boot into Windows.. I'll double check that though.

I could do, but I've had my Windows install for a while so everything will have to be reinstalled etc... I just thought if Clover is advertised as being able to work with legacy BIOS, I should try that first..

Hi. No luck here on GA-x58a-ud7. Whenever I boot from USB I get the red screen with X64 Exception. Any hint?

Hi. No luck here on GA-x58a-ud7. Whenever I boot from USB I get the red screen with X64 Exception. Any hint?
GA-X58A-UD7 requires Legacy Boot UniBeast since this board does not have a UEFI BIOS - it is Legacy AMI BIOS all the way.
I had no trouble installing Mavericks on it with a Chimera built UniBeast. Granted, I have not tried Mavericks with Clover, but if you install Clover in Legacy mode (default for Clover boot loader download from SourceForge.net) then you should have no problems.
You do need to either install AppleIntelNullCPUPowerManagement.kext or provide a patched DSDT to make it work.

GA-X58A-UD7 requires Legacy Boot UniBeast since this board does not have a UEFI BIOS - it is Legacy AMI BIOS all the way.
I had no trouble installing Mavericks on it with a Chimera built UniBeast. Granted, I have not tried Mavericks with Clover, but if you install Clover in Legacy mode (default for Clover boot loader download from SourceForge.net) then you should have no problems.
You do need to either install AppleIntelNullCPUPowerManagement.kext or provide a patched DSDT to make it work.

Hello everybody. I too have an GA-X58A-UD7 mobo. I once used Chameleon on it and had no trouble booting into OSX or Windows 7. After switching to Clover, I cannot see the 'system reserved' partition on my Win7 disk to boot into it. I only see the data partition on that drive.

My settings:
- NTFS.efi in drivers64 is present
- GUI-Scan-Legacy : Boolean : YES
- Boot-Legacy : String : PBR
- Boot0af in MBR
- Clover in the ESP
- Clover EFI64 bits SATA

Unfortunately I still cannot boot into Windows. What should I do?

Hello everybody. I too have an GA-X58A-UD7 mobo. I once used Chameleon on it and had no trouble booting into OSX or Windows 7. After switching to Clover, I cannot see the 'system reserved' partition on my Win7 disk to boot into it. I only see the data partition on that drive.

My settings:
- NTFS.efi in drivers64 is present
- GUI-Scan-Legacy : Boolean : YES
- Boot-Legacy : String : PBR
- Boot0af in MBR
- Clover in the ESP
- Clover EFI64 bits SATA

Unfortunately I still cannot boot into Windows. What should I do?
Did you install Clover Legacy Mode or UEFI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back