Contribute
Register

Make my PC smaller or my wife will divorce me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z77x-UP5 TH / 32GB RAM
CPU
i3770k
Graphics
MSI GeForce GTX 980TI 6GD5T OC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mid-2012 I built a big bad Hackintosh using the following:
  • GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 - ATX motherboard
  • Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155
  • Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3 12800 Quad Channel 240 Pin Desktop Memory
  • Corsair Professional Series Gold 750-Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified High-Performance Power Supply
  • Corsair CC600TWM-WHT Special Edition Graphite Series 600T Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case
  • An Nvidia 670 video card
Later on I upgraded the video card to a MSI GeForce GTX 980TI 6GD5T OC and coupled it with a large 40" 4k monitor/TV.

The machine works reasonably well on MacOS X for video & photo editing and I have updated all the way to 10.11 (I've avoided Sierra thus far) and works well on Windows for my Oculus & various gaming needs.

The problem is that it's big and loud. The current case is 20" (H) x 23.3" (L) x 10.4" (W) (507mm x 592mm x 265mm) and quite loud with its fans & cooling system (I don't overclock). I'd like to downgrade to a smaller form factor without having to buy much if possible.

I'd like to solicit your advice on doing so. I am guessing the two options are to a) find a smaller case than can still accommodate an ATX card with 3 PCI cards (video, RAID & wifi) though I could possibly do without the internal RAID. b) move to a mini ATX card & case though I don't know if I could keep the same CPU, memory and PCI cards as a result.

What do you think?

You might consider a Fractal Design Define R5 windowless sound dampened case.

Instead of that or in addition to that, if needed, better (i.e., quieter) fans.

Try replacing all fans with Noctua...
Turn off those gaudy LED lights :)
Maybe it's the 40" monitor that your wife finds BIG! :)

@DrBEN what about their smaller ATX case, the C?

just try the above said even then after if it did not work for you, replace wife
:)

Sorry if i am late to the thread (was on vacation) but I guess the main problem for your wife is noise and not size. Normally having a bigger case would allow you to pick bigger fans that would be quieter (a bigger fan does not need to speed as fast to displace same amount of air). Turning to a smaller case will reduce your options to make it quieter.

I don't see any reason why this build should sound like a Boeing 747 so before spending any money you should first verify a few things ...just to make sure everything is working as it should be...

What fans are you currently using ? Where are they located ? Thermal settings in BIOS ? Are you using the fan controller provided with the case ?
Using HWMonitor, check your temps at idle .. what do they look like ?
Is your build quiet when idle (it should be), if not are you able to tell where the noise is coming from ?
Same thing when under load ...

Did your problems started when you got the 4K monitor or what it always noisy ?
Please describe your internal RAID, what is it made of ? any other drives besides the RAID ?

Last edited:
Thank you all for your advice. I moved the components to a Fractal Design Define C and replaced the Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler fans with a pair of Noctua NF-F12 PWM Cooling Fan (which was probably the biggest factor to noise reduction. Everyone is very happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back