Graphics
none
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello guys, i'm planing on doing a build here in about a week or 2 so i will need some advise from the form if that's ok.

i want to do this for my home music studio, time to upgrade to a power computer. Im currently ruining win7 on a 2core p w/ 4gb of ram computer.

At one point it was ok but now it is not, i have major programs, lots of sounds and major mixing that it just cant handle it.

I want to be running Mountain lion, and win7 dual boot. planing on getting (2 1TB) and (2 120GB SSD) 1 and 1 for each operating system.

On win7 i will be running vst and mainly FL Studio, on apple i want to run logic and Pro Tools 8 (vocals and mixing) (10 very soon).

During my research, this is what i came up with and i think the total build is under $1600. Now most of the stuff here came out of the suggested builds by

the site, but i changed some little thing so i want to be extra sure about my parts.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77

case: Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Full Tower Silent PC Computer Case

Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4X8GB) 1600MHZ DDR3 Memory

Cooler: CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)

Power supply: CORSAIR Professional Series CMPSU-650HX 650W

Video card: EVGA 02G-P4-2645-KR GeForce GT 640 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express

Drives: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner

Hard drive: (2x) Seagate Barracuda

SSD: SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB

Anything else i will be needing? i know (Mountain lion, flash drive and stuff) but part wise? would this work great for what i want it to do?,
will the Fire-wire and USB connection work fine in this motherboard, so that i can connect my mbox, keyboards etc?

thank you, and i hope i made some sense. Sorry if my writing is hard to understand.

Hey Yarko,

Can't answer some of your questions, but here's my thoughts (i've been planning my new hack DAW for a few months now).
I'm assuming since you're using Logic and ProTools here that you will be doing some analogue recordings. Now you're going to need a really low noise floor for that, no to mention for mixing. Your case is great, though I would recommend a SilverStone TB02 Fortress over this one, check it out and see what you think. The Fractal R4 is great too (although a bit small). However, two mechanical HDDs + an optical drive are going to reaaaally ramp up the vibrations and hence noise. My advice - go for 1 x 2TB Drive (if you really must), and get an external optical drive. One HDD will be more than twice as silent as two, because at points the two will resonate together. My solution was initially to get a tonne of SSD space, hahah however, I never did find the deals I budgeted for, so my next option was 2 x 256GB SSDs (one for windows, one OS X), and hook up a 2TB HDD to my home network, and access as such. Yes it's a bit slower, but I manage to keep those noisy HDDs out of the tracking and mixing rooms!! Alternatively, you could look at a NAS setup if that suits you better.

Haven't looked into your video card, but do some research on the noise levels of that too, I was springing for the GTX 670 from ASUS, apparently they make a crazy silent cooler. Also, are you sure liquid cooling is applicable to you? Yes it may offer superior cooling, but keep in mind, in a music studio, the bigger concern is noise rather than temperature for your DAW. That said, anandtech rates it's noise level at 43dB which imho is far too high for a CPU cooler. You'd be better off picking up a Zalman or Noctua air-heatsink cooler. Also buy some 140mm (if your case allows) or 120mm noctua fans, because they're really quiet, and run them at a low rpm (using a fan controller) while you work on your music, then ramp them up when doing other things as you please.

I see your point, so I need to do more research for Sound in the products that I choose. i do have a sound proof booth, and for recording, I don't mind. Now mixing I'm sure even all of that would do way better than the ****ty pc I got right now. But I will look into keeping it more quiet. Also thinking of getting the h100 cooler and corsair D500 case I think it is.

D550 case******

yeah, just a though, because even during mixing, remember, low frequencies and more subtle sounds that are drowned out by whatever floor noise level you have while you mix, can show up on headphones and good sound systems/rooms etc. so the more silent you can get it, the more solid and transferable your mix is going to be across various sound systems. good luck!

thank you. I will also look into computer insulators, maybe i can build something for my studio for that matter. Other than that, does the build up look powerful enough? on papers it does. components are ok? if you know?

Move to the correct forum section. tonymacx86 forum index

Desktop Compatibility -> Buying Advice (forum sections)​

Desktop Compatibility == for existing systems

Buying Advice == for yet to be purchased system planning

----------------------------> Forum Rules <--

I'd actually rethink the Corsair H100 and look at a very quiet air cooler or upgrade to a real watercooling kit. The H100 has been shown to get loud when it starts cooling. I have the Corsair H60 and I'm getting ready to sell it and get a Noctua NH-D14.

The Noctua hangs within one degree of the H100, but the H100 is something like 9 db louder than the D14.

Check out this thread http://www.overclock.net/t/1235093/noctua-nh-d14-vs-corsair-h100/30

Hi Yarko!
I'd be interested to know how your Mbox will run on your build, I've just tested PT 8.0.5 on OS 10.8 on my iMac and it rocks!
Still wondering if there might be any issue on a Z77+Ivy CustoMac.
Mine is a USB MBox 2, is yours the same?

Just a trick I've been happy with, about silence (especially back in the days of the old noisy G4! :banghead:): I made a hole in the wall and put my computer on the other side, with just the necessary cables going through the hole. When this is possible, it's by far the most silent solution (I used to work in video editing and sound studios where it was a common thing to put all the machines in a distant air conditionned room).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back