Contribute
Register

MacTester57's iMac G5 17" (A1058 Model)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the next step will be to buy a NUC...

MacTester

A NUC is nice but this is what I'm using for my next iMac like custom build.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128668

I think it has way more room for upgrades and supports a desktop CPU. Heat might be an issue but it looks like you have a few ideas on that already. Plus it has LVDS connector that works great from what I have read.

"GIGABYTE Thin Mini-ITX motherboards feature a selectable power driver allowing for both 3.3V and 5V configurations. This brings additional flexibility for LVDS panels that require both 3.3V and 5V drivers. Voltage settings are configured via an onboard jumper."

Great build so far can't wait to see the final product.

MAS

A NUC is nice but this is what I'm using for my next iMac like custom build.

There ist just NO space for a mini ITX board in this 17" iMac model. I have two Intel DQ77KB here in my Cube mod and in the MacAudio. They are perfect for a Hackintosh, if you install a patched BIOS. Even sleep works like a charm!

Unfortunately I've made not much progress here with this iMac Mod, because I have a lot of other things to do here during the summer ... :beachball: ... but the next winter will come.

MacTester

The 20" is even tighter for space than the 17" is, due to the thicker LCD panel. I'd have to agree with MacTester about the fitment. The NUC is what really made the G5 mod even possible at all.

I think the next step will be to buy a NUC...

I did it. The D54250WYKH Haswell NUC is now ordered and will hopefully arrive next week. :beachball:

MacTester

I did it. The D54250WYKH Haswell NUC is now ordered and will hopefully arrive next week. :beachball:

MacTester

MacTester you're gonna love it... wrap it up for yourself and put it under the tree!

Merry Christmas!

Ersterhernd

MacTester you're gonna love it... wrap it up for yourself and put it under the tree!

Hi ersterhernd

The NUC is up and running. It was one of the easiest systems to hack so far. Everything works flawless. :)
20141224-243892.jpg

...and and hooked up to the iMac screen - seems to work flawless. No artifacts so far. Fingers crossed!
20141225-253963.jpg

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

MacTester

Last edited:
Looks great MacTester! Using your soldered HDMI cable?

Merry Christmas to you too!

Cheers!

Using your soldered HDMI cable?
Yes, it seems to work great.

Inverter test setup:

The next big step is done: The CCFL backlight brightness is now adjustable with a potentiometer (like I did it in the HemiMac project first). http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods/104625-mactester57s-hemimac-g4-2.html#post639656

Firstly, I've wired the inverter in accordance with this guide, which unfortunately isn't 100% correct (the brightness was not really adjustable): https://de.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G5+17-Inch+Model+A1058+Inverter+pinout+6+pin/23586

Then I've decided to crack the inverter (model 614-0339-00) open and to do some investigation:
20141226-9057.jpg

After the components were identified, I've found this datasheet: http://www.s-manuals.com/pdf/datasheet/o/z/oz960_o2micro.pdf It allowed me, to "reverse-engineer" the circuit and this is the result:
20141226-263977.jpg

Inverter pins from right to left:
- 1 Red 12V
- 2 Black GND
- 3 Blue 5V
- 4 Green Dimming (<0.7V = CCFL off, 0.7V - 3.3V = brightness adjustment range)
- 5 Floating
- 6 Blue 3.3V

If you compare with the iMac G4 17" inverter, you will realize, that the pinout is exactly the same!

Good hacking!
MacTester

Last edited:
Hi MacTester, Hope to see your project back on track soon, looks like you are making some progress, but still a lot of work to do. The one thing that is hard to explain to people is how little room (thickness) there is inside these cases, and how much time is spent just working out where to put things.

PS I have updated the Brightness Menu code to work with Yosemite "Dark" Mode, it was one line of code. I have a GIT Hub account now, and will post the code when I get a chance.

Hope you had a good christmas and a happy new Year

Kiwi

PS I have updated the Brightness Menu code to work with Yosemite "Dark" Mode, it was one line of code.

Hi kiwi

Does that mean, that the old code did not work anymore with Yosemite? Could you please post the current version?

Unfortunately a new problem occurred, after I've secured the soldered wires on the HDMI connector with Araldite crystal yesterday. The screen is now most of the time bluish... :banghead:It seems, that a wire is broken. Back to step one!

Edit: Still works with the G5. Very strange???

Edit 2: Fortunately the culprit wasn't my TMDS to HDMI conversion. It was the the mini HDMI connector, which plugs into the NUC. I've discovered, that its outer metal shield was a LITTLE bit bended outwards and caused bad contact to the NUC. Those mini HDMI connectors are not really robust in my opinion... But I'm satisfied, that my cable mod appears to be OK. Fingers crossed!

I wish a happy new year to you too.

MacTester

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back