Contribute
Register

MacTester57's iMac G5 17" (A1058 Model)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve decided to solder the power switch wires directly to the contact pin housing (top side of the board), because the solder joints are bigger than with kiwi’s solution:
20141230-303996.jpg
Hi Mactester, on the power switch black wire solder, there are two pads on that side of switch, do you solder both leads to black, or just far side?

I have a question regarding the USB sound adapter. I bought the same one as you did (the white one), but I was disappointed when I discovered how bad the audio quality was. Thinking it was simply because of it being so cheap, I started planning to replace it. But then I booted into Windows, and to my surprise, the audio quality was great. It seems like an issue between the device and OS X. All the mids are cut off, so some voices are silent.

Have you experienced the same with your audio adapter? Have you found any way to remedy it in OS X?

I have a question regarding the USB sound adapter. I bought the same one as you did (the white one), but I was disappointed when I discovered how bad the audio quality was. Thinking it was simply because of it being so cheap, I started planning to replace it. But then I booted into Windows, and to my surprise, the audio quality was great. It seems like an issue between the device and OS X. All the mids are cut off, so some voices are silent.

Have you experienced the same with your audio adapter? Have you found any way to remedy it in OS X?

I've never compared the sound quality with windows, because I don't have windows on this machine.

BTW:
I've installed Sierra today in accordance with this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/direct-update-to-macos-sierra-using-clover.201465/

Works fine so far. I only had to do the following steps:
  • updating Clover
  • updating essential kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
  • after everything still worked fine, I've also updated the Clover thumb drive
  • updating FakeSMC.kext, FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, FakePCIID.kext in S/L/E
  • downloading and executing the Sierra installer
  • disabling the El Capitan boot screen garble patch in Clover (Kernel Panic)
  • replacing AppleIntelE100e.kext with IntelMausiEthernet.kext (because of no ethernet after sleep)

Hi, MacTester, I cannot get the Arduino IDE to compile the code.

I get the error:
Code:
'incrementCounter' was not declared in this scope

EDIT:
Nevermind, downgrading the IDE to 1.6.5-r5 worked. If anyone else has this problem, try downgrading Arduino IDE first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you're still around, MacTester. I need your assistance.

I've got my SMC working, albeit after I made magic smoke with the NZXT USB Hub and have no idea how, and I have a few problems.

I cannot get the speakers working nor the capacitive touch. I've been reading through yours and Kiwi's thread attempting to follow everything. I believe I simply have a short or soldered somewhere wrong since the speakers sound like a low hum when the fans are on making me think it's the PWM frequency I'm hearing. I can hear the relay click in the speakers when the system is powered.

EDIT:
Capacitive touch works well. I guess mine "fixed" itself.
Speakers still have feedback in them.
WTV020 module for chime still not working.

I also removed the fuse from the Pro Micro because I fried my USB hub.

IOvqz7q.jpg

Bff9mKy.jpg

rcyLqK3.jpg

You made a great progress so far!

To prevent your USB hub from smoking, have a look here: #54

Does the WTV020 module work, if wired outside the SMC board? Looks like you already added the missing GND wire. The SD card compatibility is a bit of a problem.

To rid off the Audio hum, have a look here: #104

Hope this helps,
MacTester

You made a great progress so far!

To prevent your USB hub from smoking, have a look here: #54

Does the WTV020 module work, if wired outside the SMC board? Looks like you already added the missing GND wire. The SD card compatibility is a bit of a problem.

To rid off the Audio hum, have a look here: #104

Hope this helps,
MacTester
thank you so much for your reply. I've been off track last couple weeks waiting on more components to come in and doing other work. I'll be sure to reply with anything else I come across

I read some parts of the thread again. I replaced C2-C4 with 47uF caps and put a WIMA cap under the SD card module. I've got to get some 100k resistors to make a fix for the hum.

Any news?
Oh, none so far. I haven't been able to get around to finishing the project. If I can't get the SD card module to work, then I won't worry about it. I'll be sure to post any updates. thanks

MacTester57, this is a really neat build, kudos to you (and Kiwi)!

I've ordered a PCB and will start on the video cable this week.

I wanted to pull the BOM from the Eagle files but it seems to be incomplete for ordering from a supplier. Has anyone compiled a list of manufacturer or part numbers for ordering the components for the board? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back