Contribute
Register

MacTester57's iMac G5 17" (A1058 Model)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi zombillano

You have a PM. Sorry for late reply, I had a lot to do @ work this week :beachball:

Can't wait to see your new thread.

Good luck!

MacTester

Actually I can't answer the PM, I need 75 messages in the forum to reply, too. Give me a pair of days, I will try to reach the 75 message ASAP, obviously it get's a little harder cause I don't want to SPAM, so I am looking in all the forum to comment things with sense.

Thank you so much, I have another question: Do you think that this one will work to make the hdmi conversion?:

http://es.aliexpress.com/store/prod...71_72_73_74_75,searchweb0_0,searchweb201560_9

Looks like the one that you bought in ebay, but do you think that will be the same? And, as I understand, the reason of using this is to do a little easier to convert the display cable to hdmi, right? So, all I need to do when it comes is just open the thing, cut the cables and connect them to the display's cable, right?

Greetings and thank you for the help!

EDIT:

I don't want to post again cause what the moderator says below, I know the rules, when I said "a pair" It wasn't literally. I mean that I'm going to try to get them soon, but obviously not in just 2 days. Sorry for the inconvenience, also I will try to post things with sense, as I said.

Actually I can't answer the PM, I need 75 messages in the forum to reply, too. Give me a pair of days, I will try to reach the 75 message ASAP

Rules said:
Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed. These posts will be deleted and the posters privileges will be temporarily suspended.

Thank you so much, I have another question: Do you think that this one will work to make the hdmi conversion?:Thank you so much, I have another question: Do you think that this one will work to make the hdmi conversion?:

It looks good. I guess it's the same as mine.

And, as I understand, the reason of using this is to do a little easier to convert the display cable to hdmi, right? So, all I need to do when it comes is just open the thing, cut the cables and connect them to the display's cable, right?

I've never reused the wires inside the angle HDMI connector. Doing so could cause problems with the shielding. If you are good in soldering, you should solder the wires of the Apple cable directly to the connector PCB and try to keep the unshielded piece of wire as short as possible. It's also very important, that the signal wires are slightly longer than the shield itself. Otherwise they can break off if you pull on the connector.

Hope that helps

MacTester

Edit: also have a look here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/pcb-templates/171895-imac-g5-17-a1144-display-connector.html#post1139596

Last edited:
Great! :thumbup: Well, I have ordered a couple of those HDMI connectors and when it arrives, I will try to make the conversion.

Also, the link of the PCB looks great, but I don't thing that he is gonna answer your question, cause his last connection was a month ago. As I understand, with that PCB just need to solder the connector of the display (the one that goes in the original mobo) and a HDMI connector, like this one:

http://es.aliexpress.com/store/prod...archweb201560_9&spm=2114.04020208.3.11.AeXIqp

Am I right?

yes, you are right , but don't use my pcb, i did a mistake (see details there).
I know you made the boards at oshpark, so don't use them.
I never used that board because at that time i had only one isight 17" and i thought i dont use it any more , but now ... i have another 20" and because the " mac modding virus " swapped to me too, it won't be the last ;)

Hi steveLB

Your adapter PCB looks very good! :thumbup: Can't wait to see the final result.

Where will you order the connectors? Or will you unsolder the TMDS connector from your logic board?

One day we hopefully will have a more or less "plug and play-like" iMac G5 conversion solution:
- Your TMDS to HDMI adapter board
- My SMC board (the credit for the first one goes to kiwisincebirth). Kiwi, are you still here? I hope, everything is well with you!
- A new PCB for USB, ethernet and other connectors, sleep LED, power switch etc... ??

MacTester

-would be nice,
-because its molex you have to buy them from digikey or mouser, but for the first try i try it to desolder one from the logic board, heating the pcb from the bottom
-PCB for USB, ethernet etc.. is easy, the problem are the connectors, because they have an angle

yes, you are right , but don't use my pcb, i did a mistake (see details there).
I know you made the boards at oshpark, so don't use them.
I never used that board because at that time i had only one isight 17" and i thought i dont use it any more , but now ... i have another 20" and because the " mac modding virus " swapped to me too, it won't be the last ;)

I did the order but I have never paid for it :p A few problems with my paypal account, or maybe the universe trying to tell me "don't buy this ones" :lol::lol::lol:

I will wait for your experience with your PCB to buy them, the truth is that I don't have a lot of money to be experimenting if something works or not :oops:

It is good to know that you want to mod so many other macs, I want too, I guess my next project (ending with the iMac) will be a cube, I don't have any, but I like them so much :p

One day we hopefully will have a more or less "plug and play-like" iMac G5 conversion solution:
- A new PCB for USB, ethernet and other connectors, sleep LED, power switch etc... ??

MacTester

I guess it is possible, even taking in count what steveLB says about the angle, if not modding the pcb itself, maybe modding the case. If so, it is possible to add too the audio and the external monitor connections? I think that it is possible, but since I don't know anything about theory, I can't ensure it.

By the way, somebody knows a good book to start with electronics? I mean, I don't know anything more than change components and soldering, but about theory, nothing. Also any course, videos, etc, etc? I want to learn, but don't know where to start :oops::?:

I was thinking about making one PCB including the TMDS to HDMI board, SMC board and the unrealized PCB for external connectors in one, making the mod a lot easier, and "Plug'n'play like", as MacTester said.

By the way, somebody knows a good book to start with electronics? I mean, I don't know anything more than change components and soldering, but about theory, nothing. Also any course, videos, etc, etc? I want to learn, but don't know where to start

The EEVblog is a good source for electronics knowledge: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2DjFE7Xf11URZqWBigcVOQ

I was thinking about making one PCB including the TMDS to HDMI board, SMC board and the unrealized PCB for external connectors in one, making the mod a lot easier, and "Plug'n'play like", as MacTester said.

Combining the SMC board with a new board for the connectors (including the ATX PSU connector and the inverter connector) would be the most professional solution. Unfortunately, the free version of eagle does not allow to design a board with this size and it would be very expensive... The integration of the display converter board does not make sense in my opinion, because it's located on the other end of the iMac

MacTester

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back