Contribute
Register

MacTester57's iMac G5 17" (A1058 Model)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi MacTester, just to let you know that I updated my G5 (D54250WYK) to 10.10.3 without any issues whatsoever. Loads just great.

Cheers!

Hi ersterhernd

Thanks for the info. I've also updated the iMac G5, the PowerMac G5 & the G4 Cube to 10.10.3. No issues on the first two systems, but I had a HD4000 related KP on the Cube. Solution: added the 0x01620005 ig-platform-id to the clover config.plist.

MacTester

A little update

In the meantime, I've put a lot of time in both the Xcode Brightness Slider Applet & the Arduino SMC sketch. Everything works fine on the bench and it's now ready to install in the iMac. Some critical functions were also implemented in the old sketch for the SMC prototype board and tested on the iMac.

Enhancements:
- Buttons for all "System" commands added
- EEPROM functionality (credit: kiwisincebirth) fully implemented & tested. I've modified some variables to mach my needs.
- The front LED is now always on, if the computer is on (S0) and the backlight is off, or it's "breathing" during sleep (S3).
- Added a Command "LT" and a corresponding button for testing the LED functionality
- Completely rewritten the NUC power state detection, because debouncing did not work properly.
- Added some #ifdef options for the Servo & the Capacitive section, so only the required code sections are compiled
- Several bug fixes. It looks like the SMC and the Slider Applet are running 100% stable now. Fingers crossed...

This is how it looks like:
SU1.png

ST1.png

SS1.png

ER1.png

SMC Test Setup.jpg

The entire Arduino & Xcode code is attached. Feel free to reuse it. Edit: old code removed. For current version see next post.

MacTester

BTW: kiwi, I hope everything is well with you and you've made some progress too with your SMC

Last edited:
It's done - final presentation!

As mentioned in my previous post, the SMC was ready to install in the iMac. Now it is and this is the final result of this project. The following pics show the final steps:

PSU capacitor replacement
It's no secret, that old PSU's often have defective capacitors. So I've decided to replace the most important capacitors:
20150523-5234264.jpg

20150523-5234261.jpg

20150523-5234263.jpg

20150523-9642.jpg

20150523-5234257.jpg

20150523-5234260.jpg

Temperature sensor installation
20150523-5234265.jpg

Note, that all cables have the same length, because the sensor order depends on the internal (hardware) sensor number. So you have to try which sensor is the correct one. The HDD & CPU sensor cables were extended with a standard DuPont extension.

Audio optimisation
After the SMC installation in the iMac, there were two Audio issues:
1. Hum because of a ground loop. To solve this, I've cut the black wire (GND) inside the white USB sound adapter and re-connected them with a 10Ohm resistor. That means, that the GND reference is now on the Amplifier (SMC) side. The 1.5mm2 green/yellow wire between the NUC & the SMC is also important.

2. a clicking noise during switching between the USB sound adapter & the WTV 020 chime module. This problem was solved with this cable:
20150524-5244271.jpg

USB 2.0 port wiring
To allow the wiring of the three original USB 2.0 ports, I had to remove a lot of components:
20150524-5244277.jpg

The finalized remaining piece of the original logic board:
20150524-5244275.jpg

20150524-5244276.jpg

SMC optimisation
Some last second component changes (the values on the schematic & on the silk screen are not correct):
- Pull-ups R9 - R11 10k instead of 1k
- Freewheel diodes D1 - D3 Schottky Diodes 1N5819 instead of 1N4001
- Fan caps C2 - C4 47uF instead of 10uF
- C6 1000uF instead of 100uF
20150524-5244279.jpg

Luckily no changes on the board layout were necessary. Slight final optimizations were necessary on both the Arduino & Xcode code. Now everything is working like it should...

Final result
20150526-5264292.jpg

20150524-5244284.jpg

Conclusion
This was by far the most difficult Hackintosh project (took about a Year to complete!) I've ever done, but I've learned a lot:
- Arduino programming
- Xcode programming
- Eagle board layout design

Once again many thanks to kiwisincebirth, the inventor of the first Arduino based Hackintosh SMC. All that would not exist without his support. Thank you, kiwi! :thumbup:

SMC feature list
- Front LED breathing during Sleep (S3) or always on, if System is on (S0) and CCFL is off
- CCFL Backlight Brightness adjustment via Slider Applet or Capacitive Touch Sensors
- Apple Chime Start Sound via original Speakers (The Speakers and the AMP are shared with the system USB sound device)
- Original PSU Controller
- Original Fan Controller (PWM controlled in accordance with three Temperature Sensors
- RC Servo Support (not used in this Build, intended for pushing an iMac G4 front door open)

Documentation
All the required software and the Eagle board layout are attached. Feel free to reuse it. I would like to see, that all the work would be useful for someone else.

Good hacking
MacTester

Attachments

• SMC Kit V1.0.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Hi there! Your mods are AWESOMES! really AWESOMES! in upper cases :clap::clap:
I have the same iMac and I want to make your mod in mine, but I don't have de SMC board and some other things. But obiously, the most important is that. Do you still have any? I will want just one, could it be possible?

Hi zombillano

Welcome to the community and thanks for the praise.

The board rules don't allow to sell things here. However, all you need is provided in post #104. Just take "SMC.zip" in the "gerbers" subdirectory of the attachment and upload it on oshpark.com. Then you can see a preview of the different board layers and you should get exactly the same SMC board.

Good luck with your project and don't forget to post your progress here.

MacTester

BTW: I'm writing this answer on the iMac G5. At the moment, I'm doing some preparations for the El Capitan Upgrade (kext updates, Clover update, USB fix etc.).

Mmm can't sell it in the forum... why don't you gift it to me? :D

Just joking, well, there is any other way that I can contact to you? I don't really want to buy 3 PCB's cause as the same of you, I just need 1 :p I'm going to mod my imac as a hobby, so I really don't need the other 2 PCB's.

Wish that you could help me, and off course I will post my project here, I love this site and your mods :clap::clap:

Hi zombillano

I can't write you a PM.

Where are you from? If you provide your address, I could send you a board. Please keep the following in mind:
- This is not a project for beginners
- You need good soldering and electronics skills (especially the HDMI connector is very tricky)
- Lots of additional components will be necessary
- We want to see pics :geek:

Maybe, you should try to do the display conversion first (I did the same). After the display worked properly, I've built the SMC prototype.

MacTester

I changed my settings about it and you'll be able to send me a PM (I can't send one to you cause I just have 2 messages in the forum and I need at least 75....)

I'm from Mexico. I know it isn't for beginners, just seeing the photos and the progress it is clear, but I'm not a beginner :D I have enough skills to make a project like this one (I have been working in an electronic service store -idk if this is the correct translation- so I have enough skills soldering. Maybe not enough electronics theory knowledge, but I can learn. I'm student so it isn't a problem to me.

Getting the rest of components also isn't a problem, I have where to buy them, and so many contacts because what I wrote some lines before.

And yes, I will upload almost every single advance in my project. I will go a little slow because as I've wrote, I'm student, so I will be doing this project with my savings.

Also, here is a picture of my iMac, just the first one ;) :
thumb_IMG_20151027_203010588_1024.jpg

Greetings!

Can you write a PM to me? :D

I was working in my iMac. First of all: It has a PSU with failures. I need to replace some capacitors. I didn't know it, but when I tried to power it yesterday, it showed a lot of bars in the display, so I went to google and I found that the problem is the PSU. Cause I want to mod mine like yours, I will try to fix it and then I'll try to do the display conversion to HDMI.

Greetings and I will take photos of all this little fixes. Also I'm going to start a new thread. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back