MacTester57's iMac G5 17" (A1058 Model)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit:
It's ordered...
Snap!

OSH_Park___Order_Details.png

:thumbup:

The entire eagle project, which I've ordered is attached. Feel free to reuse it, but remember, that this board layout is not yet tested...

Because I wanted to include the component values to the silkscreen (they are not visible, if you upload just the .brd file and it's more professional to order a board with gerber files anyway), I had to go the "detour" via gerber files. They are also attached.

MacTester

Attachments

• SMC V1.0_ ordered.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 112
I've tested the WTV020 modules this week. They are one of the worst pieces of j..k I've eve seen. It took me about one week to get them up and running... The modules have a nice "QC passed" sticker on it, but they all have a serious hardware issue and will never work! Solution: running a wire from PCB GND to SD slot pin 6 (it's floating in original condition!!). This issue even ki..ed my first no-name SD card... Fortunately the genuine SanDisk 2GB cards survived! The second issue is, that they don't tell you, that the micro SD card needs to be re-formatted with 32kb cluster size (FAT format, used my old Shuttle mod with Windows Vista)...

At the moment I'm testing the module with the PAM 8403 amp and the original speakers.

MacTester
I tested this also tonight, and confirmed pin 6 is not connected to GND, so made the fix you suggested. Thanks for that.

I tested this also tonight, and confirmed pin 6 is not connected to GND, so made the fix you suggested. Thanks for that.

You're welcome. Unbelievable, looks like all of them are faulty - but it doesn't matter as long as they have a nice "QC Passed" sticker... ;) This is true chinese quality!

Is your module fully working now?

Ersterhernd, I've tried your iMessage fix hint. works fine on the Powermac G5! Thanks again.

MacTester

Yes it was working before, after buying three modules, and two SD cards, basically until I got lucky...

But assuming this will now continue to work, no luck required !

I posted your findings (credit given), interesting to see what response occurs. BTW, I still don't know how you actually determined this fault in the first place.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=117009.0

Kiwi

PS I have placed my Eagle files into GitHub.

My SMC boards from OSH Park arrived today! :D

20150311-3114165.jpg

20150311-3114166.jpg

So let's heat up the soldering iron and hope, that it will work...

MacTester

Last edited:
First SMC Test

After the first fan controller was fully populated, I've done a function test with fan 1 connected. Works fine. The touch sensors are working with 123Hz fan PWM frequency and the BD438 power transistor stays very cool, even with a 47uF cap.

20150312-3124170.jpg

Some last second changes:
- Pull-ups R9 - R11 10k instead of 1k
- Freewheel diodes D1 - D3 Schottky Diodes 1N5819 instead of 1N4001
- Fan caps C2 - C4 47uF instead of 10uF

Next I will solder the remaining components and then test the Audio circuit...

MacTester

Last edited:
SMC soldering finished

Top view without socketed components. The 47uF fan caps are not yet soldered.
20150313-3134181.jpg

And two more pics with Arduino, amplifier and chime module plugged in:
20150313-3134186.jpg

20150313-3134187.jpg

Testing on the bench
20150314-3144197.jpg

Tested and working so far :) :
- All three fans
- ATX control circuit
- Touch sensors
- Temperature sensors
- Audio Amp (playback from iPod)
- Chime playback (triggered from the Arduino)
- Audio switcher relay (triggered from the WTV020 module)

MacTester

Last edited:
Looking very good. I am making some progress myself, but some component issues means having to re-order, will post an update when get a chance.

Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back