Contribute
Register

MacPro new Processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z170A Gaming M7 (LGA 1151, Intel Z170, ATX)
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K BOX (LGA 1151, 4GHz, Unlocked)
Graphics
EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 (GM204, 4GB)
Mac
  1. iMac
I own a Mac Pro 2008 and its works fine. Last year I already installed a New Graphic card & a SSD In it and that made it a bit faster but not fast enough as I was expecting. I use my Mac mostly for Photo Editing and Gaming. I would like to buy a new faster Mac Pro but as you all know it’s a bit too expensive. So I am wondering if anyone has any experience/suggestion’s to replace the Board / Processor in My Mac Pro 2008 and if yes then which one and if its worth it?

Here is the Hardware configuration

Ram 24 GB
Board 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Hard Disk 256 GB SSD

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and Help

Cheers
Daniel

You could do a CPU upgrade for sure (here's someone who did one for a MP 3,1) but whether it's worth it is up to you.

I wouldn't bother upgrading any Mac Pro below a 4,1 model because you inevitably have to spend quite a bit of money to get it up to a decent modern standard, especially if you're performing demanding tasks like gaming. If you had a 4,1 or 5,1 model Mac Pro then you would have better upgrade options available to you.

If you're open to selling, then you could still get a decent amount of money for a 2008 that you could use towards the purchase of a new Hackintosh system, assuming you're up to the task. The parts you purchased recently wouldn't go to waste either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back