Contribute
Register

MacPro Mod -No Tray, No Cutting, All PCI solutions for I/O

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking good and very interesting as I know this will be a future project for me with a Mac Pro 1,1 we have here. Already got my G5 and now working on the Quicksilver G4 so the Mac Pro would make a nice group :D

Good luck with it :thumbup:

I made a harness for the front panel. Thanks to aquaman and mooner's guide.
frontpanelharness.jpg

Next to do: SATA to USB harness.

Attachments

• frontpanelharness.jpg
    frontpanelharness.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,080
I'm trying to wire up my SATA to USB front panel wiring using Aquaman's wiring diagram.

So I split open a SATA connector and found out all the insulated wires were white... plus (4) bare ground wire (without insulation).

So I had to do my own mapping. Using official SATA pinout diagrams and USB headers pinout diagrams, I noticed some discrepancy in Aquaman's wiring diagram*, and I'm posting my corrections below.

* In Aquaman's wiring diagram, he had a note saying "you may have to reverse the + and - data connections if one or both ports do not work." -- Now I know why, because on the 2nd USB port in his diagram, the D+ and D- lines were swapped incorrectly.

Also, in Aquaman's original diagram, the (2) center Ground lines are not connected to anything. That 10th pin is NC (Not Connected, unused) on the motherboard.

In my revision, they are now connected to GND to their respective USB grounds.
file.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm done with all my custom cable needs. Made a SATA to USB cable tonight.
MoreMacproCables.jpg

Attachments

• MoreMacproCables.jpg
    MoreMacproCables.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,337
what a impressive work!

what do you planning to do with the rear panel? I just loved the solution given by hekokimushi on aquamac board, I'm trying to do something like it!

More parts came in today and yesterday.
moreparts.png
For the motherboard standoffs, I used 18-8 Stainless Steel, M3.5, 8mm length, 0.6mm pitch - costs $9.12 for a pack of 100pcs
McMasterCarr - 92000A153

JB Weld, $5.91
McMasterCarr - 7605A11

You can also see 4-port USB bracket, and Motherboard power supply extension cables in the photo above.

Attachments

• moreparts.png
    moreparts.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 1,167
I'm so pleased with my new Noctua PSU fans, that I also replaced the front cooling fans. I'm going to run this front fan super slow to keep further noise down.

I'm only using (1) fan for the front (bottom fan, see photo). The upper fan conflicts with my SATA backplane PCB so I had to do some cutting of the fan assembly housing... even grinded/sanded all my cuts to be smooth :)

Now, there's enough clearance for the SATA jacks to plugin to the PCB backplane, and I can also use that space in front of the fans to hide wires, i.e. wire management to keep everything clean looking.

The hard drive fits perfectly in the spot too... no problem.

I've ordered some M3 (with 0.5 pitch) screws at McMaster so I can mount the stands on my motherboard, before I start gluing them on the case.

eel: Good idea on opening an account at Molex :) I looked at the board, and the wiring of my PSU and I think I'll just jumper the 2 SATA power receptacles together. So only (1) SATA power will need to be plugged in, powering (4) hard drives.
frontfan.jpg

Another view...
frontfan2.jpg

is this backplane an apple part? where can i get one? i've been looking for something like that for a long time, and if this one fits correctly i'm all for it. thanks

Hey, I found your post about macpro psu fan, can you help me with the wiring diagram ? How to make it run ? Can you post diagram schematics ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back