Contribute
Register

MacPro Mod -No Tray, No Cutting, All PCI solutions for I/O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi powerpcg5,
Realy nice job :thumbup::thumbup: , so i wondering where do you get the sata backplane ? is it a home made ?
Thank you for response.

Just want to share some photos.

I re-used the original power button on the G5 case as the power button/sleep/restart button for my Hackintosh.

Front_Panel_Wiring.jpg

The (2) blue wires you see going on the 8-pin headers are the PWR (+) and (-) wires that go to your motherboard.

So!... using the original PowerMac button:
Quick-press -- turns Hackintosh on (if computer was off)
Press for (1) second -- turns Hackintosh to sleep (if computer is already on)
Quick-press -- wakes up Hackintosh from sleep (if computer is asleep)
Press for (4) seconds -- displays OSX dialogue box for Restart/Sleep/Cancel/Shut-Down

I figured out the wiring for the White LED on the power switch, but sadly it's not accessible from the 8-pin header. One can solder a wire though going from the switch to a spare header terminal, and wire that to the motherboard for Power-On indicator or Hard drive activity.

I think what I'll do is just mount some LEDs on a little PCB board, and mount it behind the front panel and use those for Power ON, and Hard Drive activity. Since the G5 case front panel is somewhat see-through, the LED light's glow will still be visible, without the LED protruding through the front panel.

And a photo of my power supply mod (with covers removed)

psu_side.jpg

In front of the PSU is a Noctua fan, blowing air out to the rear.

I transferred the guts of a normal PC PSU to the frame of the MacPro PSU case.
psu4.jpg

Here's the label for the MacPro case front USB and power switch headers. The +5V is required for the USB port to work, assuming also you connected the USB data cable. (Only the top USB port works though, so I think I may have a mistake in my data cable for the 2nd port...)
USBpinout_Mac_Pro.jpg

Using an Arctic Freezer i11 to cool a 4790K (4.4Ghz)
Added a Noctua front fan to the MacPro case, which dropped idle temperature by 2 degrees.

20C idle... not bad for a $25 cpu cooler!
Running Geekbench4, the temps briefly kissed 49C.

Temps_Dual_Fan.jpg

Drilled a hole on the plastic front fan holder... and mounted a Panel-Mount bezel LED... Now I have an HDD activity light. Thanks to the perforated front panel, you can still see the glow of the lamp.

LEDlight.png

Drilled a hole on the plastic front fan holder... and mounted a Panel-Mount bezel LED... Now I have an HDD activity light. Thanks to the perforated front panel, you can still see the glow of the lamp.

LEDlight.png

Hello!

Can you show how you fastened your mobo?

Screwed standoffs to an old motherboard, lay it down on chassis, mark where the standoffs landed, and use JB-Weld to glue the standoffs to case (with mobo still attached), and placed weights on top of mobo until JB weld is cured. Unscrew old motherboard.

Screwed standoffs to an old motherboard, lay it down on chassis, mark where the standoffs landed, and use JB-Weld to glue the standoffs to case (with mobo still attached), and placed weights on top of mobo until JB weld is cured. Unscrew old motherboard.
Awesome, thanks!

I removed the ON/OFF switch of the Seasonic PSU... instead, I just wired it directly to the AC inlet. Heatshrinked all connections for safety, and then used electrical tape for another layer of protection

About the PSU, i try to understand what you did. About the wiring with the socket.
But my question is, isnt it just so simple that you remove/desolder the white from original Apple PSU socket, put the "new PC PSU" into the Apple psu case, without the PC-psu socket, and solder the white socket onto those 2-3 spots ?

If possible, show more pictures of the inside of the PSU and what you did on it to make it work.

Also, follow-up question. Did you do something with the PSU-fan plate? I see you have all the PSU-wires perfectly fit, whilst i has 4 holes from the old Apple-PSU, and theres no way in hell that i can fit a PC-PSU cord through those holes :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back