Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Greetings,

I'm new to tonymacx86 and I've never created/modified a computer (although I did change a light bulb last week). At present, I have well-functioning 2010 Mac Pro; but in about a year or so I might want to mod it. If I had to describe my Hackintosh vision, I'd say that I want to create something that works very well with my MacPro case. I'm not averse to buying a new case, but if I don't have to then that's my preference.

Thus, for any mod, ideally, I'd like to retain the four firewire and five USB slots -- this doesn't mean that I object to using Thurderbolt, but I wouldn't want to trade four firewire slots for just one Thunderbolt. Also, I have no problem with USB 3.0 or a mix of USB 2.0 and 3.0s. Also, I'd like to use the MacPro case that I currently have. In any mod, I don't have to have the same number of I/O ports I currently have; but I don't want to have more than one fewer of each.

From a quick and cursory view, it seems that case manufacturers don't offer four firewire and five USB slots; if this is true, does this mean that I'd have to cut a whole into the back of my MacPro? Or are there mother boards that line up very, very well with my MacPro such that no cutting is required? If I do need to cut (and what are pros/cons of cutting vs. no cutting?), what type of equipment do I need?

Again, this is all new to me; but it seems very doable. A MacPro is, in some ways, more computer than I need; but I value highly having multiple hard drives, being able to easily add memory, using a monitor of my choosing, and other options that don't exist with an iMac.

Thanks in advance your your thoughts and assistance.

Your post has gone 10 days without a response... This may be because your question(s) are just too broad and not specific. Right off the bat, the Mac Pro system is less attractive to many hackers then the G5 Power Mac. With a Mac Pro you really should stay with a Micro ATX mother board from factor where the G5 PM can accept a ATX form factor with less struggle.

I suggest that you ask specific questions and you most likely will get some interesting answers.

Good Hacking,
neil

Your post has gone 10 days without a response... This may be because your question(s) are just too broad and not specific. Right off the bat, the Mac Pro system is less attractive to many hackers then the G5 Power Mac. With a Mac Pro you really should stay with a Micro ATX mother board from factor where the G5 PM can accept a ATX form factor with less struggle.

I suggest that you ask specific questions and you most likely will get some interesting answers.

Good Hacking,
neil

Okay, thanks, Neil.

A suggestion for to consider is instead of converting your running MAc Pro is to build a new computer into a retail case. Given your stated experiance (changing light bulb) this may be more achievable, and allow you to learn the basics without sacrificing your Mac Pro computer.

The cost of a retail case isn't that much.

Converting a Mac case is something you could do latter, but My understanding is Mac Pros are harder to convert, you may be better buying a G5, and selling your 2010 Mac Pro which is still quite valuable.

BTW. FireWire is not a technology that is on many motherboards, if you need FireWire this will have to be via expansion card.

A suggestion for to consider is instead of converting your running MAc Pro is to build a new computer into a retail case. Given your stated experiance (changing light bulb) this may be more achievable, and allow you to learn the basics without sacrificing your Mac Pro computer.

The cost of a retail case isn't that much.

Converting a Mac case is something you could do latter, but My understanding is Mac Pros are harder to convert, you may be better buying a G5, and selling your 2010 Mac Pro which is still quite valuable.

BTW. FireWire is not a technology that is on many motherboards, if you need FireWire this will have to be via expansion card.

Thanks, Kiwi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back