Contribute
Register

MacPro case mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, thanks! They really look like the simplest solution. Think I'm gonna go with them for my own future mod.

FYI, 2x RX 480s dont work in skylake as I found out, no video.
Sold the second card, almost everything works great at 1440p with a single card so its not a big deal.

Hi AlphaFox,
Where did you buy the drive caddy please?
I installed the SSDs into drive caddys so they would match up with a regular hard drive port to utilize the stock drive bays:
IMG_3868.JPG

I replaced my single RX 480 with a EVGA 1080 FTW DT card now that there are pascal drivers, the ATX 3.0 cooler these things come with is amazing, probably the prettiest cooler I have ever seen. its black, aluminum and has RGB lighting, it matches perfectly with the build and the fans shut off with no load so its completely silent.
I also replaced the corsair PSU with an EVGA one, the fans on the EVGA gold models don't turn on till 40% load so one less thing spinning, silence! here is a pic of how it currently looks, this is actually a 1070 card but the 1080 I have now looks exactly the same.
Since I didn't need the 2x video cards I removed the PCIe extender cable and put the wifi card back in the slot on top where it was before (not shown in picture).
the corsair fans I was using were not very good, they were only 3 pin not 4 so had no fan controller support for PMW as well as being noisy. replaced the two lower fans with Noctua case fans. extremely quiet, you cant even hear them under 30%, highly recommended. build is now almost completely silent for regular use.
IMG_4103.JPG

Last edited:
Got 10.13 working with minimal issues. ordered a busted power supply and stripped off the aluminum plate and installed it so it all looks proper now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back