Contribute
Register

MacPro 3.1 with Broadcom BCM94360CD - Bluetooth not working (wifi ok) on El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
mac 3.1
hi all.
i have an old mac pro (3.1) with this card inside on a mini adapter for Wifi and BT. yesterday, i was on Mountain Lion with everything working ok. i upgraded to ElCapo and now my BT stopped working. I had an issue with wifi but this seems resolved now. im a mac noob so am hoping you guys can help.
i tried to add the FakePCIId and XHCImux kext but no changes.

on my top bar, i see the bluetooth icon, and i can turn it on and off, but cannot see any BT keyboard/mouse that use to be connected there.

one quesiton i have is my bluettoth adapter in System Info. it says 'Cambridge Silicon Radio'. i was expecting my broadcomm card to say somethign like 'Broadcomm'. see attachment

ive added a few screenshots just in case you guys can make sense of it
thanks

Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 5.56.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 5.57.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 6.02.12 PM.png

by the way... i tried all other USB ports (on the mac unit, on the cinema display) and they all seem to work correctly.
thanks

To recap: my BT mouse or BT keyboard are not found, nor do i seem to have any working BT.

i also extracted the Kext that did not load successfuly...and this is what i found:
Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 9.42.43 PM.png

El Capitan won’t load/execute unsigned kexts, unless you disable SIP (System Integrity Protection).

1. Reboot your Mac into Recovery Mode by restarting your computer and holding down Command+R until the Apple logo appears on your screen.
  2. Click Utilities > Terminal.
  3. In the Terminal window, type in csrutil disable and press Enter.
  4. Restart your Mac.

Enable SIP and allow installation of unsigned kernel extensions
csrutil enable --without kext

El Capitan won’t load/execute unsigned kexts, unless you disable SIP (System Integrity Protection).

1. Reboot your Mac into Recovery Mode by restarting your computer and holding down Command+R until the Apple logo appears on your screen.
  2. Click Utilities > Terminal.
  3. In the Terminal window, type in csrutil disable and press Enter.
  4. Restart your Mac.

Enable SIP and allow installation of unsigned kernel extensions
csrutil enable --without kext

Ah....;-) that makes sense. i wondered why it said 'not loaded'.
question: once ive disabled, restarted, and re-enabled SIP, will they load the next time i reboot?

tx

Ah....;-) that makes sense. i wondered why it said 'not loaded'.
question: once ive disabled, restarted, and re-enabled SIP, will they load the next time i reboot?

As long as the cache is not rebuild.
if you have SIP enabled and caches are rebuilt the unsigned kexts will not load.
Installing any system update will trigger a cache rebuild.

First disable SIP completely and reboot your system a couple of times to see if everything is working, and then use the Enable SIP and allow installation of unsigned kernel extensions option.

ok. so ive disabled SIP and it looks like its loading. i redid the extract and this is what it says (below). but BT still not working ;-(
what now? do i re-enabled SIP by 'CSRutil enable--without kext'? and then what should i expect different? ;-) thx
Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 10.45.38 AM.png

Ahhhh...i think the key to your message was 'reboot a couple of times'.
the first time i did, after disabling the SIP, it loaded ok (which was the message and extract above'. i rebooted again, and now the machine wont start. it starts (grey screen for 2 secs) and restarts... only way out is CMD-R. :(
i went to terminal, enabled SIP, and tried rebooting, still no go.
not sure how to get the machine started again now ;-)
ps: im using other pc to write this

ok! im back ;-) with CMD-R and terminal, i created a Unsupported directory and moved both FAKE.Kext out of the extensions folder. system rebooted fine! so i take it the FAKE...Kext wont work on my machine. any other idea? thk u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back