Contribute
Register

macOS Ventura is Now Available From the Mac App Store

Opencore 0.8.5, all kexts updated. First 12.6.1, then 13.0. Initially stuck on a reboot loop at the end of OC loading, however after a Ventura reinstall via usb installer (on the existent partition) and using the CryptexFixup.kext (so I could avoid the AVX2 instructions restriction) everything worked.

I use an old Gigabyte Z68x-UD7-B3, SMBIOS iMacPro1,1.

I have used the Opencore legacy patcher to enable graphic acceleration on my RX 580. Looking forward to any future chances to enable DRM content while using a RX 580 & only AVX1 instructions so the Apple TV app work (pity that it doesn't now, when it did in Monterrey :().

Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 19.16.12.png

P.D.: It seems the issue is no graphical acceleration & a processor without AVX2, that breaks the Apple TV app.

Last edited:
Update went fine from Monterey after OC085 update.

After a kext update as well as a clean-up of config.plist everything works extremely well. I do have the impression that the system is slightly faster now - to be verified.

1. Have to use HDMI, no more DP.
2. Mouse cursor randomly freezes for a second on screen but correctly moved on when back.

So far I found no solution for the mouse problem. Of course tested with different cabled mice, bluetooth mouse and bluetooth trackpad.
How did you fix the 'no DP' problem?

Try upgrading again. Mine failed the first time with the 3.4GB download. The second time it used the 13.4GB download and was successful.
After emptying my trash, the installation proceeded normally. But, after it completed, and launched into Ventura, my system shutdown and rebooted without warning. After the reboot, it got stuck during launch (midway through the progress bar), every time. So, I had reinstall from a backup/clone of 12.6.1. just downloaded the larger Ventura install file and will try installing again in a bit...

I just noticed that the Dortania guide recommended using 18,1 with Kaby Lake and GPU?

OpenCore-Install-Guide

Why did we end up using 18,3 for the past few years? 18,3 could very well be a Better choice but .. I have no clue as to .. Why?

And do I need to generate new serial numbers etc. (start from scratch) if I move to another platform id in the future (as iMessage etc. work perfectly with the serials etc. I'm using)?

BTW - I have an MSI Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT arriving Thursday and I'll hopefully get it installed after I have Ventura working.

There seem to be a number of small changes for that card (which is very low wattage but decent performance) that are mentioned in other threads on the Ventura forum.

I wonder if the choice of video card will affect the platform id? I sadly realize that I have no clue as to how to intelligently Chose a platform id?
Use iMac 18,1 if you are only using the built-in graphics (iGPU).
Use iMac 18,3 if you are using a graphics card (dGPU AND if you'd also like the option to use the iGPU in "headless mode").

1-2x /yr I update OS and have to go through the painful process of remembering "how to Hackintosh" LOL. I'm at OS 12.6 I've DL & installed latest OpenCore. DL the latest recommended KEXT's (the usual suspects) into the EFI\OC\kexts folder. Someone remind me what else I need to do? Update any of the .efi or .plist files?

1-2x /yr I update OS and have to go through the painful process of remembering "how to Hackintosh" LOL. I'm at OS 12.6 I've DL & installed latest OpenCore. DL the latest recommended KEXT's (the usual suspects) into the EFI\OC\kexts folder. Someone remind me what else I need to do? Update any of the .efi or .plist files?
I'm a big proponent of OCAT (OpenCore Auxiliary Tools) for updating OC. It isn't perfect for sure but it makes updating much less of a headache than trying to learn what's changed, to remember everything to update, in what folder, and whether or not I got everything. And it's not as flaky as Open Core Configurator.
GitHub - ic005k/OCAuxiliaryTools: Cross-platform GUI management tools for OpenCore(OCAT)

I'm a big proponent of OCAT (OpenCore Auxiliary Tools) for updating OC. It isn't perfect for sure but it makes updating much less of a headache than trying to learn what's changed, to remember everything to update, in what folder, and whether or not I got everything. And it's not as flaky as Open Core Configurator.
GitHub - ic005k/OCAuxiliaryTools: Cross-platform GUI management tools for OpenCore(OCAT)
Thanks! I'll try that. Yeah - tracking changes and individual updates is tough when I'm only digging around in here once or twice a year. In between the OS upgrades, the platform performs exactly as I need it to for literally months at a time between reboots sometimes(!)

Update: And all done! That OCAT tool rocks once you figure out from the slightly outdated docs how it works - it definitely takes care of the heavy-lifting and quick too! After that, the upgrade to Ventura was absolutely seamless! Time to explore :)

Last edited:
Upgrade to Ventura very smooth with OC 0.8.4, but had to update first to 12.6.1, because of an error while trying to install from 12.6. The error might as well have nothing to do with needing 12.6.1, but I did it as precaution. All well so far now.

Back