Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra USB won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dell Optiplex 780 Series
Set BIOS settings and USB creation to the letter as per the installation guide. BIOS is updated to latest version as per Dell website. What happens is when I go to select the USB device boot option in boot menu, it will just return an error that no boot device could be detected and to either enter setup or run on-board diagnostics. Out of curiosity, i loaded the default settings in BIOS and when i repeat the process, it just hangs on the boot menu. Does not let me do anything, even select a different boot option (have to shutdown machine and restart).

For additional troubleshooting, made a second USB with Legacy boot option in UniBeast. No luck.

If try using a Windows 10 bootable USB it works fine on defaults or with AHCI selected (default is RAID ON).

Any ideas?
Thanks a bunch

Dell Optiplex 780 Series
Set BIOS settings and USB creation to the letter as per the installation guide. BIOS is updated to latest version as per Dell website. What happens is when I go to select the USB device boot option in boot menu, it will just return an error that no boot device could be detected and to either enter setup or run on-board diagnostics. Out of curiosity, i loaded the default settings in BIOS and when i repeat the process, it just hangs on the boot menu. Does not let me do anything, even select a different boot option (have to shutdown machine and restart).

For additional troubleshooting, made a second USB with Legacy boot option in UniBeast. No luck.

If try using a Windows 10 bootable USB it works fine on defaults or with AHCI selected (default is RAID ON).

Any ideas?
Thanks a bunch

Recheck you done as it
1. To access BIOS/UEFI Setup, press and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
2. Load Optimized Defaults
3. If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it
4. If your system has CFG-Lock, disable it
5. If your system has Secure Boot Mode, disable it
6. Set OS Type to Other OS
7. If your system has IO SerialPort, disable it
8. Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled
9. If you have a 6 series or x58 system with AWARD BIOS, disable USB 3.0
10. Save and exit.

Type on clover boot option
-v nv_disable=1 nvda_drv=1 -alcoff -shikioff

So...tried doing somemore troubleshooting and nothing worked. For some reason didn't think to try this before but I tested the USBs on other computers in my home (some that I have installed Mac on before) and none of them would boot from the USBs at all. So I don't think it was the computer, but the USB. I used 3 different working USBs, I followed the creation process to the letter, but still no dice. This was using the latest version of UniBeast for Sierra on a Mac running Sierra using 3 different USBs. Anyone have any ideas here. I have tried re created all the USBs again and although UniBeast comes out successful, still no dice.

I have the same problem with Dell 790 SFF, if I use UEFI boot the bios hangs when I choose the USB device for the efi file.
If I use the legacy boot it freezes on the apple logo :(

Have you got the issue resolved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back