Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some combination of flags in AMD7000Controller.kext may have fixed my video playback glitching issues.

I simply copied over some of the CFG and PP flags that were set in the MacPro framebuffers (Kani,Ikura,Maguro ... I used Kani) into the defaults section. This included:

CFG_USE_READ_VALIDATION
PP_MediumStateDownHysteresisTimeOut
PP_SISLANDSMediumStateHysteresisDown

I also set PP_DisablePowerContainment to 1.

Remember, I'm using a FirePro W9000 and Radeon 7970, both of which are close if not identical to the D700 in a MacPro 6,1.

Not sure which of these was the magic bullet yet.

It's also important to note that it seems getting the multi stream cables in the right order relative to the ports on the card is important. If a display glitches often or fails to initialize properly when resuming from sleep, swapping the cable order seems to help.
Had some time to follow up on this and can confirm copying the following params are what fixed the video glitching.

PP_MediumStateDownHysteresisTimeOut
PP_SISLANDSMediumStateHysteresisDown

Based on the naming of the params, the glitches are probably caused by the video card switching to a lower power state too aggressively, which causes the glitch. It's likely these params cause the OS to downshift the GPU less aggressively.

On a side note, the new ability of WhateverGreen to inject CFG and PP params is greatly simplifying the edits and testing I need for my 5K monitors.

Note: These are issues likely specific to AMD7000Controller generation hardware.

Last edited:
For other noobs like me, I struggled to get my Fury X working with lilu and whatevergreen, most posts say just to put kexts into the boot loader and be done with it, HOWEVER, you still have to make the AMDRadeonX4100.kext modification as well, once I did this, full hardware acceleration! works perfectly.

I am experiencing garbled video in browsers Chrome and Safari, where video would load but garbled if hardware acceleration is enabled.
Some webpages wouldn't load if hardware acceleration is disabled on safari, Facebook/youtube etc... Chrome seems to be fine on this.
Just wondering if anyone is having this same issue.
For now, I disabled iGPU in UEFI/BIOS as a temporary fix for the problem.

I only have one DP cable from rx480 to monitor.

specs:
RX480 reference from MSI
GA-H270N-WIFI
i7-7700/HD630

using Whatevergreen + Lilu, on 10.12.6, no FakeCPUID, ig-platform-id 59120000

Hi, I need buying advice regarding GPUs. The new release of WhateverGreen amazes me, and considering now AMD cards work so well, I'm not so sure about getting an NVIDIA card. I'm into video editing with Adobe suite. I've created a new thread here so you can share your experience if you'd like, so we don't go too off-topic right here.

Hi, I need buying advice regarding GPUs. The new release of WhateverGreen amazes me, and considering now AMD cards work so well, I'm not so sure about getting an NVIDIA card. I'm into video editing with Adobe suite. I've created a new thread here so you can share your experience if you'd like, so we don't go too off-topic right here.

Wait for vega! That should be the best for Mac OS, it's already working but the gaming 64 and 56 variants will be shipping a week from tomorrow, Monday august 14.

Right now is a bad time to buy AMD Polaris cards, the bit miners have emptied the shelves at local retailers and a RX 580 AIB model is going for $330-$380 (My RX 480 8gb $250 last year). Vega will be $399, $499, $599 for the card alone. Unfortunately, on launch day you need to spend an extra $100 to get the bundle package.

Just awesome!
macOS Sierra 10.12.6 fully working Amd Fury!
Put WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext to EFI/Clover/Kext/Other folder, and you ready to GO!
Boot arguments -liludbg -raddbg -radbeta
Bios settings at my Asus B150I Pro: Advanced/Primary Dispaly= Auto and iGPU Multi-Monitor=Disable

hi, I have some mo but i can't driver the audio and multi moniter, could you tell me config.plist or other config for the audio?

thank you

Hi Gigamaxx and all, i have a few question and suggestion.

1) I currently run 10.12.1 with R9 380 and gpu works great, with intel igpu as primary adapter. I try to put whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext into EFI/Clover/kexts/Other but results into kernel panic. Removed them, and everything works fine again.

Do I need to update to 10.12.6 before using whatevergreen and lilu? Do I need to copy the .dSYM file and other files that comes with Whatevergreen/Lilu?

2) Suggestion - I hope that someone can write proper guide how to install whatevergreen and lilu. Coz I see conflicting guides from few google search - someone says just copy paste kexts into EFI/Clover/kexts/Other, someone says need to copy kexts into S/L/E and another says next to use kext wizards and repair permissions afterwards.

Thanks in advances.

Just awesome!
macOS Sierra 10.12.6 fully working Amd Fury!
Put WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext to EFI/Clover/Kext/Other folder, and you ready to GO!
Boot arguments -liludbg -raddbg -radbeta
Bios settings at my Asus B150I Pro: Advanced/Primary Dispaly= Auto and iGPU Multi-Monitor=Disable

hi, how about your audio and sleep ?
now mine, have no audio and reboot when sleep a long time?
do you have those question?
if not, can you show your config or something make thoses work good.

Hi Gigamaxx and all, i have a few question and suggestion.

1) I currently run 10.12.1 with R9 380 and gpu works great, with intel igpu as primary adapter. I try to put whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext into EFI/Clover/kexts/Other but results into kernel panic. Removed them, and everything works fine again.

Do I need to update to 10.12.6 before using whatevergreen and lilu? Do I need to copy the .dSYM file and other files that comes with Whatevergreen/Lilu?

2) Suggestion - I hope that someone can write proper guide how to install whatevergreen and lilu. Coz I see conflicting guides from few google search - someone says just copy paste kexts into EFI/Clover/kexts/Other, someone says need to copy kexts into S/L/E and another says next to use kext wizards and repair permissions afterwards.

Thanks in advances.

For some people just placing them in clover kexts folders is enough. For me it didn't take so I placed them in Systems/Library/Extensions folder and then ran kext wizzard. Whenever you add kexts to S/L/E folder you always want to use kext wizzard or other program to fix permissions and rebuild caches. Otherwise, it can corrupt the kext and make it unusable.

As for updating, I'm not sure but I've been able to run them in sierra 12.5 and Sierra 12.6 as well as High Sierra. They were recently compiled so a more recent version of Sierra is probably more compatible.

Wait for vega! That should be the best for Mac OS, it's already working but the gaming 64 and 56 variants will be shipping a week from tomorrow, Monday august 14.

Right now is a bad time to buy AMD Polaris cards, the bit miners have emptied the shelves at local retailers and a RX 580 AIB model is going for $330-$380 (My RX 480 8gb $250 last year). Vega will be $399, $499, $599 for the card alone. Unfortunately, on launch day you need to spend an extra $100 to get the bundle package.
Thanks for the tip! What does the bundle package include, or mean? Also, the final release of macOS High Sierra is expected to support Vega natively, right? With Metal and all that. I've seen in a few videos that Adobe Premiere even renders faster with AMD-Metal than with NVIDIA-CUDA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back