Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a fresh Sierra install and everything works with my reference 480 apart from a resolution problem. I can't get more 1280x1024 on my 1080p screen. Anyone got that problem ? Is it even related to the drivers ?

Did you check GUI setting in CLOVER?

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 8.04.49 AM.png

Hey Saminn...thanks for the help earlier. I appreciate it..

Still haven't been able to get my R9 390X working. I dropped the two kexts into the OTHER folder and made sure I am using the most recent clover version. Also made sure all BIOS are set..
Any other suggestions? I am supposed to set an bootloader arguments? These was some discussion on if this needed to be done or not. I am running 10.12.6....

Anyway, thanks again!

J

LiluKext..zip

I had to run the LiluKext.Sym script for it to work. Open it and it should run a Terminal script. I did this with IGPU enabled then switched bios settings and it works. I also placed the Lilu and Whatever kexts in System/Library/Extensions folder and ran Kext Wizzard before reboot.

Attachments

• LiluKext..zip
    269.4 KB · Views: 175
Did you check GUI setting in CLOVER?

View attachment 269388
Yes and Clover is displaying in 1080p. Even when the OS starts booting the resolution is right then switch to 1280x1024 while loading.
I'm using SwitchResX as a temp solution though, so it's not as much of a problem

Some more followup about WhateverGreen ... I added a Radeon 7970 onto my FirePro W9000 as a possible secondary card for offline rendering acceleration (no displays atached). This made my primary card go black on boot. I can live with the one video card for now, but sure would have been nice to get that working.

Would love to hear other experiences with using two different AMD cards in their systems with WhateverGreen, if anyone else is in a position to test!

So I have two 480s working on 10.12.6 No mods needed to the kexts any longer. It will still not work in the second slot, but that is some sort of MB issue. I'm about to install High Sierra after this backup completes. Hoping that works out of the box too.

Have you noticed any weirdness with comubenchcl or gfx metal benchmarks? Luxmark looks great, but those two are giving some strange numbers.

It works on Haswell Pentium G3258. DUAL RX 480s.

View attachment 269386 View attachment 269387

Gigamaxx,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried adding both text to the Library/Extensions folder, rebuilt the permissions, and all my system does is get stuck in a reboot loop.
I did run the Lilukext.sym and it brought up the terminal script. Am I supposed to type something in the Lilukext terminal screen?

Anyway, maybe this is just not meant to be for me..lol...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

J

LiluKext..zip

I had to run the LiluKext.Sym script for it to work. Open it and it should run a Terminal script. I did this with IGPU enabled then switched bios settings and it works. I also placed the Lilu and Whatever kexts in System/Library/Extensions folder and ran Kext Wizzard before reboot.

Gigamaxx,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried adding both text to the Library/Extensions folder, rebuilt the permissions, and all my system does is get stuck in a reboot loop.
I did run the Lilukext.sym and it brought up the terminal script. Am I supposed to type something in the Lilukext terminal screen?

Anyway, maybe this is just not meant to be for me..lol...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

I had a kernel panic in the first time after copying Lilu.Kext and WhateverGreen.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other/.
Checked UEFI firmware settings and Clover config.plist, but no luck. MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 was only booting without WhateverGreen or in safe mode. Then tried -alcoff boot argument and it did the trick.

Was using AppleALC 1.0.18 and guess its incompatible with WhateverGreen.
Now using latest AppleALC 1.1.3 and unchecked -alcoff (of course) solved the issue.

If you're getting kernel panic(reboot loop) after install Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts, try to disable or update AppleALC to latest version.
Captura de Tela 2017-07-30 às 01.30.48_censurada.png
Captura de Tela 2017-07-30 às 01.31.15.png
Captura de Tela 2017-07-30 às 01.33.25.png

Last edited:
After more experimenting, I have my FirePro W9000 working as the primary graphics card driving triple Dell UP2715K's and the Radeon HD 7970 as the secondary, functioning purely as an offline renderer / accelerator. IGPU is completely disabled in the BIOS.

Aside from the 5K tweaks I've mentioned in other threads, the key to getting this working was setting the ID (I have mine renamed to GFX2 via an SSDT, but usually it will be something like PEG1 in the second slot) of the 7970 to "unload true" in AGDP's Info.plist. I also have shiki installed with -shikigva boot flag enabled. I'm not sure this is necessary at all, but it's where I ended up.

Sleep/wake verified working, and VDADecoderChecker passes. BruceX export to ProRes 5K is around 21 seconds. FCPX still not crashing as it would with any helper card installed. Not bad at all.

Really very happy this weekend!

Thanks Andre...

I download the latest AppleALC and put it in my kext/other folder along with the Lilu and whateverGreen. Then I rebuilt the permissions. Same result though. Rebooted and Sierra 10.12.6 still doesn't recognize my R9 390X...

I don't know...maybe I am doing something wrong. Its at the point now that I will probably just end up putting my 2gb card back in until another solution comes around for my AMD....

Anyway, if you have any other suggestions let me know. I even tried putting the kexts into my S/L/E folders and that caused an endless loop during reboot. I would really like to get this card working though...

Ugh! So frustrated....

Thanks again!

J

I had a kernel panic in the first time after copying Lilu.Kext and WhateverGreen.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other/.
Checked UEFI firmware settings and Clover config.plist, but no luck. MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 was only booting without WhateverGreen or in safe mode. Then tried -alcoff boot argument and it did the trick.

Was using AppleALC 1.0.18 and guess its incompatible with WhateverGreen.
Now using latest AppleALC 1.1.3 and unchecked -alcoff (of course) solved the issue.

If you're getting kernel panic(reboot loop) after install Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts, try to disable or update AppleALC to latest version.
View attachment 269529 View attachment 269530 View attachment 269531

I put the Lilu kexts and the WhateverGreen kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. I restarted and disabled the IGPU, then BOOM SHAKALAKA!!! RX 480 is now working perfectly during the Clover boot process!!!

I am so beyond happy to finally have my RX 480 working without having to use the IGPU. I am also happy that I didn't have to upgrade to Vega.

about.jpg

sys-info.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back