Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Yeah it looks like computes units are still 36 as it was before lilu and WhateverGreen.kext.
I have not had any problems at all since 10.12 was released:)
Just to remember always backup original AMDRadeonX4100.kext.
every time when your about to update sierra replace patched kext with original and vise versa AMDRadeonX4100.kext after update finish. I use clover patch:thumbup:

Hmmm, so it looks like only 36 of the 56 CU's on your R9 Fury are actually enabled. (Much) Better than earlier versions where we only got 18 CUs without hacks (basically brings it to R9 480 level), but a far cry from the performance on tap with all 56 (or 64 for Fury X/Nano) CUs available.

Then again, It's not like I'm doing anything in macOS that REALLY requires all 64 CU's so maybe I should just upgrade for now (really hoping Apple includes/developers can hack proper driver support for the Fury lineup in the final version of High Sierra)

Do you need to use the iGPU or a helper card?

No, no need. after dropping those two kexts in /EFI/Clover/Kext/Other folder I went to BIOS and made pcie1 as main gfx.

How did you make 19140? I don't get it.
I'm on the same system but can go much over 14xxx. Doesn't matter if Luxmark 3.0 or the current version 3.1.

I have overclocked both the core and the memory clocks + some tweaks on memory timing straps and flashed a custom bios on my RX480.

Can't get my R9 390 to work. Just to confirm: I dropped both kexts into the OTHER folder..using latest version of clover..made sure my BIOS is loading the PCIe card as primary...didn't make any changes in the bootloader or boot arguments (wasn't sure if I need to do this?)
Running Intel i5 Haswell...Gigabyte H170M-DS3H motherboard (LGA 1151)..R9 390x video card
System just gets stuck in reboot loop...

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks everyone for all the help so far..its been interesting learning something new

J

Absolutely fantastic!

Have made some 'stress' test with sleep mode some time now! And everything WORKS awesome after sleep mode although background apps than Logic Pro X, iMovie, GarageBand etc.. have been active! And everything else is working as it should!!
Yeah :)

Big hand to Vandroiy2013 and vit9696 and also to Mork VoM Ork Which is a finder for tis:clap::clap:

Hey Saminn...thanks for the help earlier. I appreciate it..

Still haven't been able to get my R9 390X working. I dropped the two kexts into the OTHER folder and made sure I am using the most recent clover version. Also made sure all BIOS are set..
Any other suggestions? I am supposed to set an bootloader arguments? These was some discussion on if this needed to be done or not. I am running 10.12.6....

Anyway, thanks again!

J

No, no need. after dropping those two kexts in /EFI/Clover/Kext/Other folder I went to BIOS and made pcie1 as main gfx.

I have overclocked both the core and the memory clocks + some tweaks on memory timing straps and flashed a custom bios on my RX480.

If i'm not wrong but i remember that in past it was told that applications like FCPX stongly need the iGPU and won't function properly without.
So did you test FCPX by any chance?

Is this fix also a way to enable audio via DP on the RX480 in 10.12.6?

if this were true than real MacPro (nMP) wouldn't run FXP well, there are some renders that work faster with Intel iGPU using AVX H264, but it's not needed to perform well

I tried to do the same but my system hangs every time after the system begins to load on the apple logo screen.
I set primary gfx to pce slot 1 with the RX480. Then i did a test with enabled and disabled igfx.
I also dropped the Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other directory.

I'm on 10.12.6 and the system just works with helper card enabled, set as primary display even when i just connect the monitor via DP with the RX480 so that i have a dark screen while booting.

Maybe there's something missing in clover, or a misconfiguration since i still have the settings from January.
I use the latest Clover and added some screenshots, maybe someone can help and verify my overall Clover settings?

I believe you need to turn OFF both ATI Injection (under Graphics) and Fake ID (under Devices). Also, did you edit any of the relevant kexts in your /S/L/E folder? If so, it might be worthwhile trying to return all of them to their original state.

I had the same issue before I changed those two things. For me, it didn't quite hang - I could move the mouse around, and in fact if I clicked on the Apple logo I could even enter my password and login and start programs by clicking vaguely where the dock was supposed to be - I just couldn't see any of what was happening.

WhateverGreen is flippin amazing. I really wish I could be a fly on the wall to understand how the developer figured this all out.

I believe it has made my FirePro W9000 more stable with my triple 5K display setup. Before, turning monitors on and off had a small chance of killing some display outputs and corrupting the framebuffers. Also seemed less stable when using 6 outputs as opposed to 4 or 5. I always suspected some issues with sense id, but I could not find any documentation for that, so I left it alone.

So far, nothing like that has happened with WhateverGreen.kext, and I can also see it's done some work to remap my connectors that were auto-detected incorrectly by macOS's native configuration. Also, now that I can boot with a single video card, Final Cut Pro X is working again without any weird hacks. And my Safari used to hang on certain websites ... seems to have gone away. Might be related to some enabling of video acceleration done by the kext.

One question ... are people completely disabling their IGPU's completely now or are they leaving them enabled? The readme suggests that I might want to enable it.

Didn't work for my RX580, Sierra 10.12.6, SMBios MacPro6,1. Login screen fails to load.

Having said that, I edited the relevant AMD kexts. With the default pair that Sierra chooses (AMD9510 & AMD4100), my RX580 only reaches 3000 points on Luxmark.
I removed the 0x67DF1002 IDs in these both kexts, so MacOS chooses the pair AMD9520 & AMD4200 instead (which also have the 0x67DF1002 ID by default). With that I get around 11000 on Luxmark - still not perfect, but ok.

I also have to inject Guariba framebuffer in order for my 5K monitor to work.

But well, I don't mind the helper GPU at all. I'll wait for High Sierra to test this again.

Did a fresh Sierra install and everything works with my reference 480 apart from a resolution problem. I can't get more 1280x1024 on my 1080p screen. Anyone got that problem ? Is it even related to the drivers ?

Has anyone tried this with dual 480s?

It works on Haswell Pentium G3258. DUAL RX 480s.

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 7.55.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 7.57.31 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back