Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...ke-its-first-post-tick-tock-cpu-architecture/

"Kaby’s biggest advertised feature is improved support for 4K."
"HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 are also supported, which (respectively) enable 4K output at 60Hz over an HDMI cable and provide the DRM required to carry an encrypted 4K signal from the thing that’s playing it to the screen that will show it. The maximum supported DisplayPort version remains 1.2, however, dashing the hopes of anyone who wants to drive a 5K display at 60Hz over a single cable using DisplayPort 1.3."

Check the motherboards from the various manufacturers, at the moment, the Z270n chipset is the newest available. The above article is a bit dated, (mostly everyone skipped over DisplayPort 1.3 for DP1.4), but something close to it will be what I have found so far.

Interesting, so no 1.3 (or 1.4) but HDMI 2.0 is supported by Intel. SO to get AMD support for HDMI 2.0 we will need to see a new Mac Mini with AMD graphics and an HDMI port (or some other Apple released product with AMD and and HDMI port)

Interesting, so no 1.3 (or 1.4) but HDMI 2.0 is supported by Intel. SO to get AMD support for HDMI 2.0 we will need to see a new Mac Mini with AMD graphics and an HDMI port (or some other Apple released product with AMD and and HDMI port)

Probably, I think we will have to see what the MacPro refresh brings (but hope the Mini refresh has it as you noted).

I should clarify a bit, what I mention the previous post. The Z270 chipset is the latest I have found that has the back panel connectors, the new Z299 based motherboards do not have the graphics card connectors -- so far they are all needing an external card -- which will be tricky using with the Polaris cards, maybe okay with the Vega cards.

Kaby Lake does not offer native HDMI 2.0 support. Motherboards with HDMI 2.0 port need to include an additional converter chip, which attaches to a DisplayPort 1.2 stream.

Do some of the high end boards have the chip?

Hey folks, wasn't here since some months and i have to read 100s of posts i want to ask you what's the current situation for RX480 users with the current Sierrra overlays or the new major release High Sierra (still beta or already final?) when you're still on 10.12.3?

10.12.6 has 36CU, and basic "native" support no need to add iD or fix kexts.

High Sierra has full " native" audio through HDMI and Displayports, it's is still a beta but you can sign up for it now. High Sierra is pretty cool, for Polaris cards the best support we've had so far.

If you update to HS use the latest clover 4114 or newer for the proper drivers and most people are dropping EMUVariableDriver from Drivers64EFI Clover folder.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new macOS High Sierra Public Beta version 3 (Build: 17A315i) is available.

I thought it might be popping soon, I got a B4 notice last night will update later tonight. I was watching some Kodi with HDMI sound last night. Much better through the LG big screen than my cheap USB speaker set.

Wow that sounds like something was going on in the last months and lots of things have improved! ;)

I think the best would be to go with .6 instead of the High Sierra public beta since this is a productive system.
I have to acknowledge that native audio via DP support sounds attractive but i'll wait until it is final + at least .1 overlay stepping was released.

Do i have to take some cautious action before i start the .6 overlay update process from the app store or can i just start?
Anyway, somehow the app store only shows the .4 overlay as a update. Don't know why. Probably because i firstly have to update to .4 and then to .6. Or should i just download the .6 combo update from Apples support destination?

I used the combo updater for my main system and the App Store updater for the experimental setup. I had no problems with either one, but there are some changes in the graphics area. if you are using named frame buffers, they should still work., but there are more options available.

I thought it might be popping soon, I got a B4 notice last night will update later tonight. I was watching some Kodi with HDMI sound last night. Much better through the LG big screen than my cheap USB speaker set.

I had to turn off Inject-ATI after the installation, it looks like the frame buffers have changed. I was using Acre, for my RX 460 so ...

It will take a while to catalog all of the changes for this update; in short, the installers have made progress as in the App Store and main installer got further along the installation trail before disappearing into the weeds never to return -- they are kind enough to leave a spinning beach ball behind, I had to wipe the drive and install from fresh to get it to work -- BUT, I did not have to install by hand this time.

Edit: Multiple displays at once is still a problem, unless you are using the same display with both the DP and HDMI connectors connected to it. And worse, Audio has disappeared. In the previous beta, HDAU showed up in IOReg for the card, but in this one it is missing, I have not tried to use a SSDT file to see if that will bring it back yet. Overall, it looks like this is a big step backwards as far as Graphics and Audio as issues. Maybe after it sits over night, it will show up. :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: Multiple displays at once is still a problem, unless you are using the same display with both the DP and HDMI connectors connected to it. And worse, Audio has disappeared. In the previous beta, HDAU showed up in IOReg for the card, but in this one it is missing, I have not tried to use a SSDT file to see if that will bring it back yet. Overall, it looks like this is a big step backwards as far as Graphics and Audio as issues. Maybe after it sits over night, it will show up. :).

Using a SSDT file re-enables audio with HDAU properly attaching to the PCI graphics card. Whew! The naming in the Sound Preferences Panel is slightly off, if you only have a DisplayPort monitor attached, the type is listed as DisplayPort, if you have both DP and HDMI cables attached to the same monitor -- it still does not work trying to attach to separate monitors --, both connections types are listed as HDMI. Using only the HDMI connector, the type is listed as HDMI. The audio sounds fine, but I have not tried sending the audio to an a/v receiver set-up yet. I have no reason to believe at this point there should be a problem in doing that.

Edit: Note that when both cables are attached to the same monitor, the type is listed as HDMI for both connections, but the audio only works for the actual HDMI connection, the DP connection does not get audio, when the DP connection is the only one, then the DisplayPort audio works properly.

TRIM is not yet working as easily as it did in 10.12, if you try the trimforce enable command with a SATA connected SSD, it will go through the motions of trying to turn TRIM on, but it does not actually do it. I have read there is a patch for this , so it may not be a big deal yet.

This is the listing for the Acre frame buffer in this 10.13 PB release:

Code:
Acre (3) @ 0x121cb0
DP, HDMI, DDVI

So far, I have not had much time to do more than glance at it, but it looks a lot like the previous one(s), so it may take some time to get the patch for the frame buffer sorted out and working. Or not ...

Update:

After some reboots and shut-downs --> start ups, the system is settling down a bit.

[RX 460]

Audio is working with the SSDT file in place, the Sound Preferences Pane now knows what kind of connection is in place, i.e. it knows that a DisplayPort is being used instead of calling everything a HDMI type.

Mirrors Displays does not work yet. What appears on the monitors is a horrid mess.

Using Inject-ATI = true without naming a frame buffer uses the Acre frame buffer AND the HDMI connector works with full graphics and audio. (This is with Clover version 4128.) But the DisplayPort connector gets no signal (DVI connector untested so far), so it looks like there is some slight work to be done to get the connectors working correctly. However, this might require gazing into the crystal ball to see what Apple is going to do regarding the multiple monitors and display mirroring issues (or even if they do anything at all) as any changes they make will affect patching. But using the previous Acre patch does not work at all.

Errata: WIFI and ethernet are working fine, I did not need to make any changes from the ones the previous betas required. TRIM support is looking like it will require a patch to get it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back