Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my setup, it is working almost OOB by using Inject-ATI = false and removing all of the other related patches OR, by using Inject-ATI = true along with using the Clover. Key FBName set to be Berbice as well as the Clover Berbice frame buffer patch I listed. You cannot just use the framebuffer name without the framebuffer patch. Ohers that have joined in the various comments are getting similar results. Also make sure you are using a new version of Clover, probably v4035 or the newest v 4049. 10.12.4 and Clover have made some of the approaches obsolete or at least no longer necessary. Note: this is also happening with some of the older graphics and other add in cards as well.
Hello ¡¡ Are sleep and wake working for you? I'm facing some issues on that, because most of the times wakes without acceleration.
Could you help me to configure it right? Thanks a lot ¡¡¡

Hello ¡¡ Are sleep and wake working for you? I'm facing some issues on that, because most of the times wakes without acceleration.
Could you help me to configure it right? Thanks a lot ¡¡¡

You probably will not like my answer. I am in 10.12.5 PB (s well as 10.12.4) and some sleep functions are working but hibernate mode is not working. I lost hibernate mode somewhere around 10.12.2 or so. Display sleep, all of the way to monitor shutdown mode and restart is working well. I have tried various options to recover audio after sleeping, but it seemed that longer sleep times caused these fixes to also not work, and hence the system needed to be rebooted. So for 'long enough' sleep times, I just shut the system down and restart later. For short term sleep, I open a terminal window, type in the command caffeinate and let it run. This will let the screen saver come on as you have it set up, then sleep the display, then allow it to shutdown at the times you have set up in the Energy Saver Preferences. The mouse and keyboard will awaken the system with acceleration, audio,. etc. no problems, but this command is not for long term use as it does not sleep the cpu.

edit: type the usual control-c combination to exit the command.

Last edited:
Hello AMD users. So Pascal driver is coming to Mac, does anyone know is it possible that Mac will support RX 480 without any tweaks? I want to use two RX 480(Crossfire in window) for my build. Gigamaxx told me that two rx480 will cause black screen in a skylake system. Does anyone know the reason behind this and will it be fix?

To be honest, at this point, I don't know if I should switch to Nvidia. :p

So I just upgraded from a HD 7970 to a R9 290X card. My 7970 was working flawlessly straight OOB. R9 290X? Not so much. I got the black screen after startup and monitor went into sleep mode. I have been reading about setting onboard intel GFX as primary and attaching both VGA (from intel GFX) and HDMI (from R9 290X) to the same monitor in order to see the clover boot menu (dual booting windows) Is this still the best way to "init" the R9 290X card? Thanks!

I can't remember what clover build I was using, but when I unchecked 'inject ati' acceleration stopped working. So I just keep it checked now.
Also with this method, you get a grey rather than black boot screen. I don't mind it, but it would be good to know how to get it black if anyone knows. But it's not really a big deal, it reminds me of older Mac OS's that had a grey startup.
So you have managed to get your RX480 running without iGPU by editing three bytes in the card's ROM??? As I understand, you have placed an invalid device id in it, right?

Last edited:
Hello AMD users. So Pascal driver is coming to Mac, does anyone know is it possible that Mac will support RX 480 without any tweaks? I want to use two RX 480(Crossfire in window) for my build. Gigamaxx told me that two rx480 will cause black screen in a skylake system. Does anyone know the reason behind this and will it be fix?

To be honest, at this point, I don't know if I should switch to Nvidia. :p

Giving up on Vega already? :) You might want to wait until both companies have cards on the local stores' shelves before making up your mind. This is incredible news that Mac users will have choices of, well --- lower cost, workstation level graphics cards, but keep in mind what was not listed in the announcements. How well the cards are going to work with Apple's Metal platform. Right now, unless there has been a drastic overnight change, supporting CUDA in your software means paying a licensing fee. So there is a lot of OS-X oriented software that is optimized to run on the Open Source approaches, OpenGL and OpenCL. Just plopping in a faster Nvidia card and running that same software does not automatically mean your results will also be faster.

But if you are going to write letters to AMD, please ask them to support audio over DP and HDMI. :)

So you have managed to get your RX480 running without iGPU by editing three bytes in the card's ROM??? As I understand, you have placed an invalid device id in it, right?
Right! invalid device , and its working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back