Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z170M-Plus
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
R9 280
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So the "Sierra" Public Beta came out today, which includes a new set of AMD drivers: AMD9500Controller.kext and an update to AMDRadeonX4000.kext.
While it is obviously meant for the new/upcoming "Polaris" chipset (=> RX 460, 470, 480), it has already proven to accelerate the (previously unsupported) "Fiji" chipset, which is included in R9 Nano, Fury and Fury X.

Additionally, AMD9500Controller finally contains a framebuffer matching a standard PC card, which is already a very good sign!

Before you get too excited: Most GPUs are not OOB (yet?), and very little has been tested so far. And here we need you!
I'm especially interested in tests of formerly unsupported GPUs (Fiji, Polaris), but all other AMD tests are welcome as well.
I'll provide a short guide on what to do/test with which GPU:

General things to consider:
Since El Capitan we've seen some annoying bugs affecting AMD Radeon GPUs:
  1. Sleep/wake is broken on all recent (HD 6000+) GPUs, unless you configure your iGPU as primary graphics device (BIOS)
  2. Tonga-based GPUs will boot to black screen unless you configure your iGPU as primary graphics device (BIOS)
I'd like to find out if both bugs persist in Sierra, so please test with both iGPU = Primary & Secondary.
Besides that, I'd like you to test all ports (especially in multi-monitor setups) and, obviously, the performance. ;)
Personally, I prefer the Unigine Valley benchmark with "Extreme HD" preset, since this puts a lot of load on your GPU.

"Polaris": RX 480, RX 470, RX 460
I guess that's what most people are interested in at the moment:
From what I can tell, AMD9500Controller contains all relevant device IDs, so any Polaris GPU should cause AMD9500Controller to load. Polaris 11 (RX 460) also has it's device IDs in AMDRadeonX4000.kext, so it should provide full acceleration OOB!

Polaris 10 (RX 480, RX 470) however is missing, so you won't see acceleration. Try spoofing your device ID to any Polaris 11 ID (one of those: 0x67E01002 0x67FF1002 0x67EF1002). Details on how to achieve this can be found in our comprehensive Radeon Guide.

Try using both the generic RadeonFramebuffer and the newly added Dayman framebuffer.

"Fiji": R9 Nano, R9 Fury, R9 Fury X
As above, try spoofing your device ID to match any Polaris 11 ID. If this doesn't work, do as described here.
There's no matching framebuffer, so only "RadeonFramebuffer" for now, unless you want to make your own.

If you're booting to a black screen...
... try setting iGPU = Primary in your BIOS. In case your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics, a 2nd dGPU might also do the trick.

Thanks in advance & have fun! :)

Results:
It seems the situation of previously supported GPUs didn't change notably compared to El Capitan so far:
  1. Sleep/wake issues are still present
  2. Tonga based GPUs can't boot without iGPU = Primary
  3. GCN 1.1 GPUs (Hawaii & Bonaire) are still hit-and-miss
Apparently Apple has changed the structure of all framebuffer personalities from 16 bytes per connector to 24 bytes per connector, so if you were using a modified framebuffer in the past, you'll have to rewrite the patch. Have a look at wildwillow's R9 380 connectors patch as an example.
Good news: Apple has introduced some new framebuffer personalities, one of which is a 100% match for reference Tonga GPUs.

We didn't have reports on "Fiji" or "Polaris" yet. From the MacPro side we already know that the newly introduced drivers can pick up & accelerate the RX 480, but won't run stable yet. I'm still interested in more reports though, maybe my proposed method (spoofing the device ID) will make a difference.

Update September 23rd, 2016:
Not too much has changed in Sierra final: Sleep/wake is still an issue and Fiji & Polaris are still not 100% there. Many Polaris 10 cards (RX 470/480) can be enabled by spoofing the device ID or adding the device ID to X4000.kext/Info.plist. RX 470 seems to be a lot more stable & suitable for everyday use than RX 480. RX 460 has it's dev ID in the drivers, so it doesn't need any hacks.
All of those new cards will need iGPU = Primary, otherwise you'll boot to black screen! This means your boot screen / UEFI menu / Clover will only be displayed on your iGPU, the discrete GPU stays black until OS X has fully loaded.

The first beta of 10.12.1 has introduced a new accelerator kext: AMDRadeonX4100.kext. It contains the "Baffin" section which was formerly located in X4000. Additionally, it seems to be fully stable now, even with the full-size Polaris 10 chip (RX 480)!

Please be aware that Polaris & Fiji support is still experimental. Apple can break or drop it anytime, since the drivers are not used in any real Macs. Additionally, the need for iGPU = Primary can become quite annoying.

Last edited:
As soon as the RX 460 is out, I will be here to help you out! Will be purchasing it on day1

"Fiji": R9 Nano, R9 Fury, R9 Fury X
As above, try spoofing your device ID to match any Polaris 11 ID. If this doesn't work, do as described here.
There's no matching framebuffer, so only "RadeonFramebuffer" for now, unless you want to make your own.

I started out hackintoshing with AMD GPUs in 2012, but since Adobe applied NVIDIA OS X support, I started playing around with NVIDIA cards. In the recent months I have been using FCP (Final Cut Pro) and it is my understanding its based on OpenCL thus an AMD GPU is more compatible.

So now My every day rig is the Dektop A | X99 Extreme4 | i7-5930K | NVIDIA GTX980 Ti | AMD R9 390

Clover v3561
ATI FakeID:0x67B01002
Inject ATI: True
FB Name: Radeon
SMbios: MacPro5,1

I have both 10.11.5 everyday use and installed 10.12DP for testing. Have not used 10.12 much as i have not dove in to ALC patch needed for 10.12 so without audio its a bit unusable for my use.

In both 10.11.5 and 10.12DP
The R9 displays as:
AMD Radeon HD 8xxx:
Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 8xxx
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: PCI Slot 6
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 8192 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x67b0
Revision ID: 0x0080
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.3180

Since I don't know much about AMD and how the FB works I'd like to know if the way I have my R9 set is correct.

I run my 40" Phillips 4K monitor at 60Hz perfectly through my R9 and I can use the full 6GB available on my GTX980 for Adobe apps.

Would the new Sierra Drivers you described above be beneficial or even compatible with MSI R9 390 Gaming I have now. If I understand correctly I have a Fiji GPU right?

I read Rominator's post and i got lost with the lingo and I was a bit embraced to ask on his thread, but id like to know.

What do these following terms mean?
eGPU, cMP, nMP

I would love to contribute to this thread and be of help.

I will install 10.12PB that I just downloaded over my DP original install and report back of any changes.

Ohh well
I tried to install the Sierra beta and it stuck at sound assortation for 15 mins. I have a R7 360 and I use the 0x67b01002 to spoof it. It works great with the El capitan but no luck with the sierra

What is your SMBios set to?
Im using MP5,1
I use iMac 14,2 but I made a small mistake. I had misplaced the comfig.plist and thus it wouldnt boot. Now that I put it correctly it boots perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back