Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much, Jerry! I will try it tomorrow...

I was able to test this with a regular DVI monitor. As I suspected, this did not work for that, hopefully, it will work for your dual-link monitor set-up. Later, I will try the single link approach, but I am uncertain as to how that will turn out, the connector is a dual-link type, maybe it will be okay to treat it as a single link or not.

Edit: That may not be true. I tested the idea of setting the DVI connector type to work as a DVI-SL and it worked fine. Then I found out the hard way, something I knew from a while ago, but do not keep in mind. This card does NOT like having three monitors plugged into it. It will shut one of the connectors down, most often the HDMI, but also it gets stubborn and sometimes shuts all all three down leaving a message on one of them about Quartz Compositor. The above part about it not working with a dual link connector setup and a regular DVI monitor may not be true, because I tested it with all three monitor plugged in at once. Oops. Anyway, I do hope the patch works for you.

Last edited:
Hi all,

My rig: Sierra 10.12.3, Z97-HD3, i5 4560, latest clover, Samsung KS7500 (4K HDMI 2.0)

My question: I'm trying R7 360 with FakeID to feed this 4K HDMI 2.0 TV (with active Club3d-CAC1070 adapter), but I'm hitting 4K@30Hz wall...I can't get 60Hz neither OOB, nor through SwitchResX custom resolution.

Anyone using 4K Tv as monitor with Hackintosh+ATI?

Thanks.
Have never seen 60Hz on macOS off HDMI only from DP

...That may not be true. I tested the idea of setting the DVI connector type to work as a DVI-SL and it worked fine. Then I found out the hard way, something I knew from a while ago, but do not keep in mind. This card does NOT like having three monitors plugged into it. It will shut one of the connectors down, most often the HDMI, but also it gets stubborn and sometimes shuts all all three down leaving a message on one of them about Quartz Compositor. The above part about it not working with a dual link connector setup and a regular DVI monitor may not be true, because I tested it with all three monitor plugged in at once. Oops. Anyway, I do hope the patch works for you.
Thank you for your effort, Jerry!
Yes, now i noticed it: All ports work, but only one at time! My card don't even likes two monitors at once!
Booting with all three monitors results in video in DP, but DVI and HDMI are black.
Booting with DVI and HDMI: HDMI works, DVI is black.
Booting only with DVI monitor: DVI works.
Very obvious! With 10.12.3 all ports worked, without injecting ATI...

Last edited:
I updated to the public release last night and everything works. Had to run Multibeast for audio, but that was the only thing I had to do. RX480 is working as it was before, 36 compute units and similar LuxMark score.

For the record:
Inject ATI = True
Inject Intel = True (if I don't inject Intel my sleep does not work and boot time is very long)
Did Mork's kext patches a few Betas ago and they carried over just fine.
My RX480 is a Sapphire 8GB reference card.
2x 24" monitors plugged into RX480 via DP
1x TV plugged into MoBo DVI port for boot screen when I need it.
Also, since it has been a problem in the past I thought I'd mention it, Final Cut Pro X 10.3.1 still works fine. A Clover update a handful of weeks ago fixed that problem, and it sill works on the newest Clover.

Oddly enough, the update was not available to me in the App Store. I had to download the Combo Update from Apple to get it. Anyone know why that would happen?

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 10.58.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 11.07.50 AM.png

Thank you for your effort, Jerry!
Yes, now i noticed it: All ports work, but only one at time! My card don't even likes two monitors at once!
Booting with all three monitors results in video in DP, but DVI and HDMI are black.
Booting with DVI and HDMI: HDMI works, DVI is black.
Booting only with DVI monitor: DVI works.
Very obvious! With 10.12.3 all ports worked, without injecting ATI...

Hmm, what resolution are your monitors running?

You can still use Inject-ATI=false in 10.12.4 with this card, I have not done too much using that as I am still trying to get through all of the loose ends from updating stuff.

Hmm, what resolution are your monitors running?

You can still use Inject-ATI=false in 10.12.4 with this card, I have not done too much using that as I am still trying to get through all of the loose ends from updating stuff.
4K@DP, HD@DVI&HDMI. No signal on DP without Inject ATI. There is no framebuffer anymore with 3 ports within 9510.kext, perhaps this is a problem with RX460...

Cool! It looks like someone has gotten around to scripting more of the stuff Gigamaxx has been doing.

In reading though it, I would personally be cautious in just following the listing blindly. The poster says they got it from another forum without listing the page address and I am not sure if the original poster copied things in the wrong order or left something out or not.

To explain further, please understand I am not trying to criticize the poster but there are some things to be careful about.

This part needs some clarification:

sudo LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/sed -i '.bk' 's@AMD R9 xxx@AMD RX 480@g' /System/Library/Extensions/AMD9510Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/AMD9510Controller ; sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AMD9510Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/AMD9510Controller.bk ~/tmp/

This is changing the generic R9 xxx in the About This Mac dialog box and the System Report to instead be RX 480 as has been done in various places, by way of using the sed stream editor (part of the system tools). The way they are doing it is odd; they are creating a copy with the change in that copy (labeled with the .bk ending) and then moving that backup file into the ~/tmp directory and that is all we hear of it.

Certainly making a backup is excellent, but you may find that you do not have ~/tmp/ and this script will crash here. [~/tmp/ has to exist before you can move stuff into it.] Additionally, you might want to make the backups before running the scripts.

This does sound like they are seeing the audio Gigamaxx reported on a while back and it is good news, but not completely there yet. Good progress still.

4K@DP, HD@DVI&HDMI. No signal on DP without Inject ATI. There is no framebuffer anymore with 3 ports within 9510.kext, perhaps this is a problem with RX460...

I can get DP with Inject-ATI=false (10.12.4) but I am using lower resolution monitors. It is going to take more work to get this resolved, I wonder if we will have to keep Mork from pulling his hair out to fix this??? :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back