Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I was going to select a page or screenshot or two and also select the Fiji, Polaris, Vega and other names, find the hex values and then search for them in the new 4100kext. 9.8 mb its probably 1000000 pages total, it looks like at least that many when scrolling through it.

All is good the fixes work. 12.4 beta 2

I edited 2 info.plists the 9510kext by adding 0x67DF1002, and the 4100kext by adding 0x67DF1002.

Yeah, the 3998 has intel HD 7000 graphics naming for the SKYLAKE HD 530.

The Oksarit CU 16 to 36 fix works as well.
Geekbench RX 480 12.4.2.png

Last edited:
p.s. There is a new version of Clover out as well v. 4003, it does not appear to be labeling the RX cards.

This was just cosmetic anyways. You could read the history in the clover repo to see what they changed..

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 07.58.47.png

The concern is whether this means they are going to not be as interested in fixing the remaining issues with these cards.

I may be wrong but I don't think the black screen issue is related to the bootloader.
From what I think I recall reading, real macs have the same issue as hacks when updated to recognise the rx480, in that they fail to boot.

I may be wrong but I don't think the black screen issue is related to the bootloader.
From what I think I recall reading, real macs have the same issue as hacks when updated to recognise the rx480, in that they fail to boot.

FlOr!an explained it like this we use UEFI to boot our systems, where Apple or real Macs use AppleEFI which is why they don't get blackscreen at boot using dedicated graphics mode. They have been experimenting trying to avoid UEFI initialization of the cards to get dedicated graphics mode working in hacks. It's like we are prematurely initializing the RX card and in a real Mac the EFI initialization kicks in after boot or later in the booting process.

The concern is whether this means they are going to not be as interested in fixing the remaining issues with these cards.

I wish they could put a brief label on the new editions like Nvidia improvements or AMD improvements. It would be great if they dedicated or classified the bootloaders for each vendor maybe an odd even number System, 3988, 3989 so we could better choose which will benefit our cards.

I noticed on the 3998 version that it would not label the RX 480 when using inject ati. It could be that the clover setting is still trying to reach the 9500controllerkext bit it's now the 9510controller. But this of course is with the beta 12.4 sierra it might still work in 12.3.

I wish they could put a brief label on the new editions like Nvidia improvements or AMD improvements. It would be great if they dedicated or classified the bootloaders for each vendor maybe an odd even number System, 3988, 3989 so we could better choose which will benefit our cards.

I noticed on the 3998 version that it would not label the RX 480 when using inject ati. It could be that the clover setting is still trying to reach the 9500controllerkext bit it's now the 9510controller. But this of course is with the beta 12.4 sierra it might still work in 12.3.

I have not tested v 4003 with 10.12.3 yet, I will try it a bit later. I am cautious about testing too many beta / new things in combination at once because it can be tricky deciding what did when if something goes wrong.

Last edited:

To expand on what Gigamaxx wrote, the booting situation is somewhat of a mess at the moment. I will try to choose my words carefully so as to not give the wrong impression, but that may mean I gloss over something.

From the various discussions I have encountered, when the motherboards boot with the pcie graphics cards enabled as 'primary', the motherboards initialize all of the found graphics cards. This is a problem for macOS Sierra, because when it detects the card and loads the appropriate driver (kext), it (macOS) expects to be the one to initialize the card. It panics when the card is already started. So 'we' have to use the IGPU for the booting process and allow macOS to initialize the pcie card from which point we can use it.

However, of the major operating systems that run on this hardware, macOS, Linux, Windows and Other, (we can ignore Other for the purposes of this discussion) this booting approach is not an issue under Linux and Windows. Once you add the appropriate drivers for the card, you can set the system to use the pcie card for the entire process from boot to shutdown. And this proves absolute nothing for macOS on this hardware. But it is relevant, because it shows that the process is very much possible, but how to do it for macOS has not been found out yet.

I have had a chance to test Clover v 4003 with 10.12.3 and the result is mixed news. The card labeling is there. About This Mac says which flavor of ATI Radeon card your machine has.

Now the bad news (t could be very bad in some cases): the DisplayPort is no longer available, only the HDMI port is working. This is with inject ATI=true. If you use inject ATI=false, you get the DisplayPort back in operation again, as well as the HDMI port -- I did not test the DVI port under either setting. Overall, the new Clover seems to boot quickly and I have found no other problems, but I need that DisplayPort working, so no Inject ATI=true. [I have checked this with many reboots.]

Mork ?????

I will test the 10.12.4 PB 2 with Clover v4003 again later. I am not sure why that same did not happen yesterday when I did the updates, but strange things happen all of the time.

Now the bad news (t could be very bad in some cases): the DisplayPort is no longer available

That are very bad news (to me). I'm using my Dell U2913WM via DisplayPort, I want to test the latest beta and the latest released of Clover but this is my only one build and I use it now to work. For now I'm stuck in 10.12.2 (16C67) and Old Clover version. Hope to still reading updates from you @jerryy2345 @Gigamaxx & @Mork_vom_Ork I keep visiting this thread everyday to read your updates/posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back