Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please help with some insight as to what might be happening in my setup, I've spent many hours trying to get this going and learning as I go but I am stumped.

Issue 1: What's happening is I have my BIOS set to CPU graphics but if I don't connect a monitor to my iGPU it will default to the PCI-E card regardless of the bios settings and then it'll freeze on macOS boot. (ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming Mini ITX)

Booting up with monitor connected to iGPU HDMI works fine and enables RX 480 acceleration and I then disable the iGPU monitor using "DisableMonitor". This setup gives me full RX 480 acceleration with 15K in luxmark and 2K in unigine valley, and 14seconds in bruce-x. This is 100% working setup.

My problem is I would rather not have to disablemonitor at every login (login screen always shows on igpu so I cant see when entering my password).

Issue 2: The issue I have is that macOS detects when I bootup with monitor connected to iGPU HDMI port and enables full RX 480 acceleration just fine, but when I bootup with iGPU DISPLAY PORT macOS does not detect a monitor plugged in and boots up fine. But after running benchmarks the RX 480 loses acceleration half way through and only way to get it back is to restart. I tried SMBIOS 14,2 and 17,1 with same results, without Intel HD530 HDMI port plugged in I lose AMD RX 480 acceleration halfway through benchmarks.

My setup is:

Asus Z170i Pro Gaming Mini ITX
i7 6700K
32GB DDR4 G-Skill 3200
Samsung 950 Pro NVME
XFX RX480 8GB
Sierra 10.12.2
36 Cu's RX480 Mod
INTEL HD SKL CRB 1536MB Clover Mod
Rehabman NVME Mod

Can someone please help with some insight as to what might be happening in my setup, I've spent many hours trying to get this going and learning as I go but I am stumped.

Issue 1: What's happening is I have my BIOS set to CPU graphics but if I don't connect a monitor to my iGPU it will default to the PCI-E card regardless of the bios settings and then it'll freeze on macOS boot. (ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming Mini ITX)

Booting up with monitor connected to iGPU HDMI works fine and enables RX 480 acceleration and I then disable the iGPU monitor using "DisableMonitor". This setup gives me full RX 480 acceleration with 15K in luxmark and 2K in unigine valley, and 14seconds in bruce-x. This is 100% working setup.

My problem is I would rather not have to disablemonitor at every login (login screen always shows on igpu so I cant see when entering my password).

Issue 2: ...

You may need to list more information on your set-up so that folks can think about what is happening.

On Issue 1: How is your BIOS <--> Clover setup? Do you have the iGPU set as primary with it essentially otherwise disabled (Inject-Intel = false)? It sounds like it, but need to be sure.

In your Displays Preference Pane, Arrangement Tab, do you have the monitor that you want to be using as your main one set to be the primary one? It needs to be one on the (top) left, with the menu bar on it. You can drag these around in the pane as you want. Clicking on each monitor display in the pane will cause that screen to flash a bit, so you can tell which one is which. The screen set to be primary is the one the log-in will default to --unless-- that one is not attached at boot time. The menu bar is draggable from monitor to monitor.

Issue 2: ??? Not sure ...

I was searching for a monitor with my RX480 from Powercolor.
This one seems to be really cool: LG Electronics 34UC88-B
http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UC88

The question is, is OSX able to use 3440x1440@60Hz with the RX480 without problems?

It should, that looks cool! The RX can handle 4K @ 60hz, so it shouldn't be a problem. It has Freesync as well. I've seen one or maybe 2 references of freesync in the 9500 or 4100 kexts before the last update. I wonder if it actually works behind the scenes? There is "AutoWattMan" in there as well in the temp and power control sections.

@carlos.33193 you can set in SystemPreferences" under "users and groups" auto login and it will go right into sierra. This is not recommend if your computer has vital info you don't want anyone to heve access to, because there no password requirement. This is what I do wane I want to keep monitor plugged into RX card only. Your config.plist needs to be right and clover settings as well and set to auto boot 5 seconds or so.

I thought connecting the display via DP if i buy it.
AFAIK Freesync is an option for gamers and needs special drivers, at least for Wintendo®. ;)

This monitor is curved, but there are also non curved ones. I still need to make a decision.

So is wattman in Windows, but it's Autowattman in Sierra and in Apple fashion there are no control options, but it's in the code.

Referencing my previous post macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

I have finally got it running! It seems my XFX RX 480 was actually throttling under macOS. I am not sure if it was thermal or power limit. I booted into windows and I was able to see it happening using GPU-Z, AMD Wattman, and using AIDA64 as a stress test.

Check this quick post I made to see what I had to do. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-rx480-config-advice.211923/#post-1412557

Using AMD wattman I was able to find the ideal values for my video card (frequency and voltage). I discovered my video card to not be optimized for what it can run at. After tweaking around for a while until I found a stable overclock/undervolt for GPU and Memory I used GPU-Z to save my original BIOS. Then I opened it in Polarios BIOS editor and set those values into the BIOS ROM. While I was in Polaris Bios Editor I also tweaked the fan curve a little and the power limit. I then flashed this "custom" bios using the AMD winflash. Since anything you modify in AMD Wattman stays in the wattman settings, this meant the settings only work in windows and the card goes back to BIOS default values in macOS.

NOTE: AMD Crimson will not work in windows with "modified" non-stock BIOS. It runs a bios signature check and sees that its modified and will revert to software rendering. There is however a patch to bypass this which is very easy to apply incase you would like to use your "custom" bios in windows.

Anyway, since my new overclock/undervolt, power limit, and fan curve values are now stored in the bios itself they transfer over to macOS. I have managed to lower my MAX temp by about 10C and manage to keep my stock speeds while making the card more stable with +10% power limit increase.

I now have sleep, wake, RX 480 acceleration, and all working perfectly! Only thing missing is pre-boot screen as this only works with iGPU. I will post a log of everything I have done so others may follow :) I am running an LG 38UC99 at 3840 x 1600 @ 60hz using DP and a DP to HDMI plug as well.

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 5.57.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 6.27.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 6.30.57 PM.png

Last edited:
Hi guys!

Is there anyone who is running the Rx 480 with Final Cut 10.3.1 in Sierra? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 10.48.26 PM.png

Mine is working. What's your setup?
My setup is Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Skylake 6700k with AMD XFX GTR 480.
Everything works fine but final cut does not start. I reinstall it and continue the problem. Could you put your config.plist? Maybe I have something wrong. I am using SMbios Macpro 6.1 but I already use iMac 14.2 and 17.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back