Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, I don't know if this has been noted, or posted already (after so many post I haven't read them all)
I just made a fresh install of OS 10.12.2 on one of my setups, and I wen't through the whole install with clover connected to the RX480... iGPU was deactivated, csm too (Asus board... @Fl0r!an knows what I'm talking about). After the whole install, I could log into OS but without accelerated graphics.. I find this very strange since it shouldn't work that way.

Installed clover in EFI and configured it for my skylake build etc...

In order to get accelerated graphics, I had to modify the 4100.kext, and then and only then I could not log into SO again, so I had to activate iGPU and CSM...

So, if it lets me access bios, access clover screen and configure the whole system without graphics acc, the problem must reside somewhere after the 4100.kext is modified..

Again, I don't know if this info has been posted already, but it might help someone with the right skills to investigate further..

peace!

I found a very interesting thing. I used clover to boot windows 10, The RX 480 also could be enable hardware acceleration. I think, this problem stems from clover.

I found a very interesting thing. I used clover to boot windows 10, The RX 480 also could be enable hardware acceleration. I think, this problem stems from clover.

Windows 10 will recognize the RX 480 in integrated graphics mode (with igpu as primary display), but it will also let you use the RX cards in dedicated graphics mode (RX card as primary display). It will run fine in Windows but you lose about 10-15% of your peak performance by using integrated graphics versus dedicated graphics.

Some more news on the Vega 10 cards. These figures are comparing it to the Polaris performance specs.
IMG_2302.JPG

If this is true, these should be a big bump in performance for our hacks.

Last edited:
Good news! The Gigabyte RX460 (4 gig in my case) works right out of the box. I haven't done the kext mod yet though I did do the HD530 mod mentioned a few pages ago and the only weirdness is that it doesn't like when I switch from AMD card to built in. I might just go back to the old way of injecting the HD530 after I do some testing with FCP X.

My monitor also cycles through VGA and DVI first before hitting HDMI on POST but I think that's my monitor being wacky

Only using one monitor at the moment so I get to keep swapping between iGPU and the RX460 until I get my second monitor. Time to run some benchamarks.

Good news! The Gigabyte RX460 (4 gig in my case) works right out of the box. I haven't done the kext mod yet though I did do the HD530 mod mentioned a few pages ago and the only weirdness is that it doesn't like when I switch from AMD card to built in. I might just go back to the old way of injecting the HD530 after I do some testing with FCP X.

My monitor also cycles through VGA and DVI first before hitting HDMI on POST but I think that's my monitor being wacky

Only using one monitor at the moment so I get to keep swapping between iGPU and the RX460 until I get my second monitor. Time to run some benchamarks.

VGA is not supported in Sierra, but it will show your clover screen. I have a VGA cable connected to my monitor and it goes black at the log in screen, then my HDMI cable connected to RX card takes over. DVI is supported but I think it limits your resolution.

With the RX 460 you don't need to mod the 4100kext to get functional, unless your talking about increasing CUs in open CL format. "Enabling all cores for AMD Fury cards".

VGA is not supported in Sierra, but it will show your clover screen. I have a VGA cable connected to my monitor and it goes black at the log in screen, then my HDMI cable connected to RX card takes over. DVI is supported but I think it limits your resolution.

With the RX 460 you don't need to mod the 4100kext to get functional, unless your talking about increasing CUs in open CL format. "Enabling all cores for AMD Fury cards".

Oh I know. I have it connected through HDMI but the monitor decides to cycle through the available inputs anyways on boot. I cannot wait until I get my good monitor...

LuxMark v3.1 gives me 8344 with both the AMD and iGPU while Geekbench gives me a score of 72949 using the 460 only. Heaven crashes when I attempt to run the benchmark so I need to sort that out.

I had the exact opposite experience with FCPX. It got very unhappy with the modified HD530 info and was perfectly happy when I injected Intel HD530. Of course it got a bit more unhappy when I tried to push a 6K R3D file through it. Good thing I have test files from Canon and Sony cameras as well. The joys of working in media!

I might modify 4100kext just to get the extra OpenCL functionality. Heaven is also only benching my CPU it seems.

So many edits! I did modify my 4100kext but it didn't seem to make any difference. I am not injecting ATI since when I did that it got a little angry with the ghost monitor. I'll wait until I have a second monitor to screw around with injecting ATI.

Bottom line: if you want a relatively inexpensive graphics cards that works basically out of the box then get the Gigabyte RX 460. It may not be top of the line but it works. I'll probably upgrade later down the line

Last edited:
Some more news on the Vega 10 cards. These figures are comparing it to the Polaris performance specs.
View attachment 228222

If this is true, these should be a big bump in performance for our hacks.

Looking forward to what Vega has to offer also. I like my 1070 and it a shame there isn't drivers for Sierra but I would consider Vega if it can meet the performance level in the right price range.

Hi,
What about the igpu first issue (blind boot) ?. No solution yet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back