Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 226125 View attachment 226126

This is GLView the R9 380 is Win, the 380m is Mac. Do the Win drivers work in OS X or are only the Mac drivers working? I've been wondering about this, anybody know?
Hi Gigamaxx,
Your question is that only the mobile R9 380's are supported by OS X/macOS and the desktop R9 380 by windows?
The desktop R9 380 is supported in OS X and more so in Sierra than Yosemite/El Capitan, yet for some unknown reason it doesn't initialise like the 4XX cards without IGPU/IGFX set to primary in the UEFI/BIOS when reaching the desktop.

anyone has a boot problem with two rx480?

my custom Mac build i7-6700k, ga-z170-ud5 th, two sapphire rx480 nitro oc 8g and clover r3961.

Only problem to me?

I had the exact same problem. I got around it by putting the second Rx480 in slot3 while the first was in slot1. It does reduce the performance a little due to a 4x slot, but it will boot. I could not get two RX480s to boot in slots 1 and 2. Like you I have a GA-170X-UD5 board, though not the TH variant.

You will also notice that it is possible to get an ssh session into the machine even though the graphics freeze.

So after trying to set my BIOS to use slot 2 for the 460 as post GPU it would not stick for some reason. I installed the card on slot 1, pci-e x16 and my 1070 in slot 2, pcie-e x8. Set Clover to inject ATI and fix display and tried booting PEG which showed the boot progress up to the final graphic load which I thought was going to make to login but stuck. I had to set it back to IGPU. It has to be something in the final graphics load that it causing this.
I benchmarked the 1070 in Windows 10 and the 2 slot pci-e x8and doesn't seem to effect performance any.
It would be nice to get Pascal drivers so I wouldn't have to stand on my head every time I switch from Sierra to Windows 10 but it doesn't seem promising with out Apple support.

MacOS Sierra 10.12.3 Public Beta 2 is available.

The AMD9500 controller has been updated to version 1.48.17 as has the 4100 kext. They show build dates of December 17, 2016

Audio is still horrifically bad.

So after trying to set my BIOS to use slot 2 for the 460 as post GPU it would not stick for some reason. I installed the card on slot 1, pci-e x16 and my 1070 in slot 2, pcie-e x8. Set Clover to inject ATI and fix display and tried booting PEG which showed the boot progress up to the final graphic load which I thought was going to make to login but stuck. I had to set it back to IGPU. It has to be something in the final graphics load that it causing this.
I benchmarked the 1070 in Windows 10 and the 2 slot pci-e x8and doesn't seem to effect performance any.
It would be nice to get Pascal drivers so I wouldn't have to stand on my head every time I switch from Sierra to Windows 10 but it doesn't seem promising with out Apple support.

Its too bad you can't get it to work like the other poster. Are you injecting Nvidia?

The AMD9500 controller has been updated to version 1.48.17 as has the 4100 kext. They show build dates of December 17, 2016

Any differences with this update (specifically the 9500 update)? (I have ALC887 and works like a charm)

Could you upload that 9500 kext in order too see if there's any evolution with its framebuffers?

Any differences with this update (specifically the 9500 update)? (I have ALC887 and works like a charm)

Actually the audio I am referring to is audio over the DP or HDMI ports on the AMD cards. These updates usually do not affect the AppleHDA kexts with the ALC HD audio that you use the Toleda scripts to run on your system.

Could you upload that 9500 kext in order too see if there's any evolution with its framebuffers?

The moderators will not not like that ... Apple has that stuff copyrighted, so everyone has to be careful in doing stuff like that.

Gigamaxx and friends usually dig into the frame buffers and tell everyone what is going on. You can sign up on Apple's site to be a public beta tester and try things out. It is free and you do not have to be a developer. I recommend you use a separate disk -- not just a separate partition but a separate disk for the beta stuff. Usually when software is released to the public beta testers, it is stable enough for casual - non critical use, but just be sure anyway.

Very good point Jerry, I'm still looking over my shoulder, I have both AMD and Apple in my State. A snippet or two is one thing but the whole driver that may be too much to disclose without permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back