Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few of us on other threads were wondering about the need of a helper card. We concluded that its probably a connector definition problem and were trying to find the Ellesmere or the Baffin personality. While Ellesmere is not supported, but we should have found Baffin in AMD9500Controller.kext since RX460 is supported and have been using that for RX480. AMDRadeon4100X.kext does show "Baffin" as a string, but the connectors are not defined anywhere. Are we wrong about something or looking in the wrong kexts?

The thread where this was discussed is this:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-using-fakesmckext.203994/page-2#post-1394871

I just noticed improvement on Luxmark benchmark, not Unigine.

If you've changed the kexts, you'll must repair permissions and rebuild kext cache. I use Kext Wizard app for this.

Type on terminal(may take a few minutes):
Code:
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && kextcache -u /

This will remove old caches and rebuild them.

Patching kexts with Clover is better, because it'll probably survive future macOS updates and you'll not have to worry after this.

Btw, did not reboot without caches. I wish you luck!

Thank you! Works the terminal commands.

- Luxmark 3.1 Open CL: 16100 (before 13500)
- Unigine Heaven Extreme setting - slightly less (111 Fps vs 120Fps)
- Bruce X Test: exactly the same as before: 19 Seg.
- Cinebench OpenGL: 139 fps The same as before.
- Davinci Resolve 15% faster (same last video I have exported)

Trying to get a Sapphire RX480 working:

I can get things working if I edit AMDRadeonX4100.kext. However if I try any Clover trickery it doesn't work.

I'm suspicious because even my FakeID doesn't seem to work; system profiler still shows 0x67df even if I set FakeID->ATI to 0x67EF1002 Doesn't work with or without inject ati.

Is there some other settings that have to be twiddled in clover for device id spoofing to work? I'm using latest clover (3961)

Trying to get a Sapphire RX480 working:

I can get things working if I edit AMDRadeonX4100.kext. However if I try any Clover trickery it doesn't work.

I'm suspicious because even my FakeID doesn't seem to work; system profiler still shows 0x67df even if I set FakeID->ATI to 0x67EF1002 Doesn't work with or without inject ati.

Is there some other settings that have to be twiddled in clover for device id spoofing to work? I'm using latest clover (3961)
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/enabling-amd-rx-4xx-cards-in-sierra.201364/page-28#post-1394013

One additional step is; after checking InfoPlistPatching, change the "Type/key" to DATA.

More info for those having trouble. My issue was that the ATI device id spoofing didn't work, always showed up as 0x67DF1002 instead of what I'd set in FakeID section (0x67EF1002).

On my system getting the FakeID to work required 3 additional settings:

First in this section: ATI set to TRUE

Code:
<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
                        <dict>
                                <key>ATI</key>
                                <true/>
                                <key>Firewire</key>
                                <false/>
                                <key>HDA</key>
                                <false/>
                                <key>HDMI</key>
                                <false/>
                                <key>IDE</key>
                                <false/>
                                <key>IntelGFX</key>
                                <false/>
                                <key>LAN</key>
                                <false/>
                                <key>LPC</key>
                                <false/>
                                <key>NVidia</key>
                                <false/>
                                <key>SATA</key>
                                <false/>
                                <key>SmBUS</key>
                                <false/>
                                <key>USB</key>
                                <false/>
                                <key>WIFI</key>
                                <false/>
                        </dict>

General fixes:

Code:
                        <key>Fixes</key>
                        <dict>
                                <key>AddDTGP_0001</key>
                                <true/>
                                <key>FixDisplay_0100</key>
                                <true/>
                        </dict>

Without all three of these FakeID did not properly apply for me. From digging through Clover docs and some debug output the issue is that due to a combination of my hardware there were some entries in my DSDT that required removal before Clover can properly setup FakeID injection.

If you're having issues getting the FakeID to actually take, try some combination of these options.

Edit: inject ATI also has to be off; if I turn it on FakeID no longer shows up

Last edited:
Unfortunately my plan to put a 460 in my case did not work out due to half tower case and room between pcie slot 4 and my PS. Tried the other pcie slots and of coarse it caused conflict with my 1070 in pcie 16x slot so i'm back to my igpu.
hahaha, i encountered this problem as well, so i build my super compact atx case which cost me only about 80 dollar :D

If you are using the latest Clover, you may be working at cross purposes ... in that the newer Clover versions have a lot of the info so that you do not have to declare it as a fake version.

But for the moment, can you get to the EFI and main partition of your drive? On the main partition along with System and Applications, etc. you probably have a folder called ---> EFI-Backups

Inside of this you will find copies of each version of Clover you have installed along with all the necessary stuff. Decide which version you had that was working, open your EFI partition and copy (boot file and EFI folder) to the same places on your EFI partition. Reboot and you would be back to where you started when it was working. BEFORE you start make sure you are familiar with where everything is. Take a couple of looks (it is easy to do, but getting in a nervous hurry has consequences).

I do not know that you need the FixDisplay_0100 key or the FBName key any longer with all of the recent Clover changes and the latest Ellesmere patching, but Gigamaxx and the others can give you a better idea about that.
I can get into the OS anytime with my unibeast usb. I updated clover jut because the FakeID won't apply. So in my opinion, I don't think I have to revert to older Clover. In the last few posts somebody mentioned that his clover doesn't apply the FakeID either. (Just like mine with the older version) What clover version do you have? It seems like that different clover versions have different behaviour.
One more question: now I am talking about id spoofing. I (thought) I have to make this working first and then the CU unlock. I did it right or the CU unlock patches have the FakeID (equivalent) patches integrated?

Don't inject ATI, inject Intel. Inject ATI=false, Intel=true.

thank you @Gigamaxx your reply...
but same problem...

single sapphire rx480 (pcie0 slot) -> it works well. without booting problem and graphic acceleration.
clover config.plist setting : faked = none, inject ati = false, inject intel = true
and s/l/e andradeonx4100.kext add 0x67DF1002

same setting
dual sapphire rx480 (pcie0, pcie1 slot) don't booting -> apple logo progress bar load half and freezing

I can get into the OS anytime with my unibeast usb. I updated clover jut because the FakeID won't apply. So in my opinion, I don't think I have to revert to older Clover. In the last few posts somebody mentioned that his clover doesn't apply the FakeID either. (Just like mine with the older version) What clover version do you have? It seems like that different clover versions have different behaviour.
One more question: now I am talking about id spoofing. I (thought) I have to make this working first and then the CU unlock. I did it right or the CU unlock patches have the FakeID (equivalent) patches integrated?
If I delete the "some random garbage" from frame buffer setting, the gpu fans doesn't spin up anymore, and both displays going off. So what should I do?

If you are using the latest Clover, you may be working at cross purposes ... in that the newer Clover versions have a lot of the info so that you do not have to declare it as a fake version.

But for the moment, can you get to the EFI and main partition of your drive? On the main partition along with System and Applications, etc. you probably have a folder called ---> EFI-Backups

Inside of this you will find copies of each version of Clover you have installed along with all the necessary stuff. Decide which version you had that was working, open your EFI partition and copy (boot file and EFI folder) to the same places on your EFI partition. Reboot and you would be back to where you started when it was working. BEFORE you start make sure you are familiar with where everything is. Take a couple of looks (it is easy to do, but getting in a nervous hurry has consequences).

I do not know that you need the FixDisplay_0100 key or the FBName key any longer with all of the recent Clover changes and the latest Ellesmere patching, but Gigamaxx and the others can give you a better idea about that.
So I decided to revert to previous Clover (the version which was installed with multibeast). I read that it has a bug that InjectATI have to be false to make FakeID working. So i will set that. What do you mean by "the latest Ellesmere patching?"
Is there anything else to do other than FakeID to make it work? I haven't modified any kexts.
We should find a Clover version and boot.plist combination that works. If some of you wrote your versions and attach your plists, it could help, thanks :)
Update: Revertion to r3766 didn't help. FakeID doesn't apply either with or without InjectATI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back