Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your the authority here and I'm wondering if I have to modify anything in the latest Sierra up date for the 460 when it shows up.
I know I need to modify for the 480 I put in a while back.

The 460 should get picked up using inject ATI no mods to kext files needed.

Of course, I just don't need rx480 in windows but it works well if plugged in. Actually I installed both drivers. The reason I keep rx480 in pci-e x4 is that the 1080 could run at 16x. Peg first is set in bios and I never change it. The dp port is free to plug, due to only one monitor.

Both drivers installed in windows, or in OS X? Have you tried switching the monitor to RX card before hitting enter in clover screen? It may fix the bugs in some programs in OSx. If the cable is plugged into 1080 card during boot (2nd stage) it will limit the performance of the RX.

Example: If I keep monitor connected to igpu/8400gs during and after boot my Uningie benchmark will run at about 10 fps, if I switch the cable to RX card before hitting enter in clover the bench runs at 40 fps. If you change the cable after boot to the RX it runs 30 fps. The max performance from RX cards is achieved when only one monitor is connected to RX during boot into Sierra. It seems to dedicate all screen output and graphics function to the vcard.

Last edited:
Did not work for me either.

EDIT: more specifically, final cut pro crashes immediately upon opening. Also, Valley benchmark runs at 3 - 7 FPS.

Damn, similar hardware with yours @velovelovelo , same troubles and issues..., try use my cfg with changed smbios? all patches is on.

hi!

i finally got my rx 480 "working". Which means I have no sluggish animations and i can see transparent menus and such.

But I found two issues so far:

1. my safari crashes whole system
2. games (LoL in this case) are crashing, in LoL my FPS drop immediately to around 2fps and then the game throws an error.

Does this have to do with my gfx?

In my system report I can see this

AMD R9 xxx:

Chipset Model: AMD R9 xxx
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: PCI Slot 0
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 8192 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x67df

How do I know if it is fully accelerated?

Sorry but this solution not working for me. No Final Cut Pro, no iMovie and no Motion. Logic Pro X works fine.

Have you tried the approaches outlined about 10 - 15 pages (or so, give or take) back in this thread about turning off the built-in Intel HD4nnn graphics cards? These entail removing all HDMI audio/video patches from your config.plist -- along with any SSDT or DDST audio/video patches, but most folks are then able to run iMovie, FCPX, etc.

It doesn't show metal support.

At 2fps it sounds like you're running on IGPU, does your Xeon have IGPU?
If it doesn't you will need an extra video card like a AMD 5450, or Nvidia 8400gs to put in pcie slot 1 and put the RX in slot 2.
Any Vcard that has native support in sierra will give you Integrated graphics to use the RX 480.

Search the "Enabling AMD RX 4XX Cards in Sierra" thread to see how to activate acceleration on RX 480. The RX 460 runs without this mod, but if you're using a 480 you need to make the kext change to get proper acceleration.

It doesn't show metal support.

At 2fps it sounds like you're running on IGPU, does your Xeon have IGPU?
If it doesn't you will need an extra video card like a AMD 5450, or Nvidia 8400gs to put in pcie slot 1 and put the RX in slot 2.
Any Vcard that has native support in sierra will give you Integrated graphics to use the RX 480.

Search the "Enabling AMD RX 4XX Cards in Sierra" thread to see how to activate acceleration on RX 480. The RX 460 runs without this mod, but if you're using a 480 you need to make the kext change to get proper acceleration.

thanks dude! I have metal support now and my performance in game is a little bit better. now it stays for some time around 300fps and sometimes drops down to 2fps again, then crashes.

This is my system report
Revision ID: 0x00c7
Metal: Supported

Is there something else i can do?

Last edited:
thanks dude! I have metal support now and my performance in game is a little bit better. now it stays for some time around 300fps and sometimes drops down to 2fps again, then crashes.

This is my system report
Revision ID: 0x00c7
Metal: Supported

Is there something else i can do?

//Edit:
when i have my activity monitor open I sometimes see a process called "mdworker" jumping to like 80% cpu usage, might also cause the crashes

If you have Integrated graphics on the Xeon, or some power management fixes like AMl in clover ACPI "patched" folder it may cause problems. Go back about ten pages and read up on fixes for VeloveXXXX in FCPx app by Jerry and Me to help with possible issues causing crashes in OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back