Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gigamaxx Did you mean connecting both monitors to IGPU while leaving the RX 480 installed? I have not tried that. I suppose I can, but I was under the impression that will not provide acceleration.

I'm not using DVI at all. Just DP and HDMI.

No, just one to RX and one to IGPU. Are you getting HD 4600 @1536mb with metal?

When you boot up does your RX have 30 bit ARGB2101010 color support? They have made a lot of experimental changes to the latest editions of clover so trying an older version in the 3700-3800 vintage may fix it as well. You might want to put a shout out to jerryy2345 he is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Fortuitous guessing is all .... :)

velovelovelo said:
When I run both monitors off the RX 480, the one on DisplayPort works perfect, and the one on HDMI is pixelated and rough. Both monitors have both DP and HDMI inputs, so when I switch the cables around, it makes no difference. HDMI does not work correctly, but DP does. I will have to go out and get a second DP cable I guess, which is fine. See screen shot below to see what it looks like on HDMI. EDIT: I don't have 4k monitors - both are 1080p high quality IPS displays with accurate color (Dell U2413 and HP LP2475w).

I believe this is a controller / driver issue. For the longest time I also have been seeing glitches when using the HDMI port, which I thought was due to the multi monitor support being still in the beta stages. Normally I use the DisplayPort as the main connection to my monitor with the HDMI port as a secondary monitor, but recently I have been trying the HDMI port only and still getting the same glitches. However, I have compared these to running Linux on the same system and there are no problems with the card. None of the glitches show up when using any of the ports alone or in combination. So it is not the card, but the drivers.

It is possible we could see a solution if enough of the (new) MacBook Pro users hook up their laptops to their HDMI based equipment and get the same problems AND then are able to convince Apple to fix the drivers -- rather than build usb-c to hdmi adaptors with special circuitry in the same way they did with early lightning to HDMI adaptors for their phones. It is possible Apple does not want to spend any effort on the issue as it seems they are trying to ditch non-thunderbolt/usb-c connectors.

velovelovelo said:
My bigger issue is that Final Cut Pro crashes as soon as I try to open a library. This has been an issue since upgrading to FCPX 10.3. FCPX 10.2.2 and 10.2.3 were working fine on my old R9 280x, even in Sierra. When I upgraded to FCPX 10.3 this problem started. I removed the R9 280x as a test, and FCPX works fine (albeit slowly) with IGPU and no graphics card installed. When I reinstalled my 280x, the displays never came back on. I tried everything I could think of and I think that card just failed, so I replaced it, hoping that would also fix my FCPX 10.3 problem. Now my new RX 480 shows the same behavior in FCPX 10.3. I really need to resolve that - I know others are running FCPX 10.3 with a RX 480, so I'm trying to hunt down the issue.

It does seem like in some situations FCPX is trying to use the built-in HD4nnn graphics accelerators and this is causing the crashing. There has been some success reported with using a patch to disable the HD4nnn accelerators (beyond just using inject-intel = false in your config.plist.) Have you tried that yet?

@Gigamaxx ... newbie here, hoping for your advice. Mac Pro - 3,1, Just updated to 10.12.1, installed an XFX 460, 4gb. I'm not getting a signal from the card. My old 8800GT works fine (as I'm typing). Thought the new card was plug & play with recent Sierra update. Have tried connecting the 6pin connector and not. Makes no difference. Also have tried using a DVI monitor and hdmi monitor, neither is getting signal. The fans power up, blue light on card with 6pin connected, red light without. Have done nothing further at this point. Thoughts??

Also made a separate thread in the graphics forum too. Want to add, that I installed Sierra using the USB method, and then applying the patches to get in up and running.

Also made a separate thread in the graphics forum too. Want to add, that I installed Sierra using the USB method, and then applying the patches to get in up and running.

Can you label your system specs? CPU, Mobo, at least? Is this a real mac pro or a Hackintosh?

One thing right off the bat is the Mac Pro 3.1 definition is not supported in Sierra OS. If its a Hackintosh try using MP 5.1 or 6.1 definition or iMac 14.2. If its a real Mac Pro it may be possible to flash it to a 4,.1 at least to get support.

This is a real mac, 3,1 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon.

I don't know if you can use Clover bootloader to fake a Mac Pro 5.1 definition, but we hackintoshers can't use the 3.1 def in sierra.

It may also be the card, can you exchange for a Gigabyte or Sapphire card?

No, just one to RX and one to IGPU. Are you getting HD 4600 @1536mb with metal?

I figured it out. Looks like I am getting 1536MB with metal support, but it says Iris Pro instead of HD4600. Might that be the issue?

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 5.15.03 PM.png

It does seem like in some situations FCPX is trying to use the built-in HD4nnn graphics accelerators and this is causing the crashing. There has been some success reported with using a patch to disable the HD4nnn accelerators (beyond just using inject-intel = false in your config.plist.) Have you tried that yet?

@jerryy2345 Thank you for your comments. I did a search and I wasn't able to find anything about disabling HD4600 accelerators. I'm willing to try it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back