Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have someone managed to get 4K@60Hz using the RX460 via HDMI? RX460 is HDMI 2.0 capable, my monitor (LG 27UD68) too. I'm getting 4K@60 Hz on Displayport, but only 4K@30Hz on HDMI. I'm using original LG high speed HDMI cable.

Thanks!

Any news with last Sierra beta for RX 480 ?

Any news with last Sierra beta for RX 480 ?

Same old, same old.
I've changed the name to my original card's name with the app iHex!
RX 480 XFX.png ME TOO!

RX 480 8GB or Radeon 7970 3GB, which one is better for FCP ? which brand of RX 480 is more compatible with a hackintosh ?

Have someone managed to get 4K@60Hz using the RX460 via HDMI? RX460 is HDMI 2.0 capable, my monitor (LG 27UD68) too. I'm getting 4K@60 Hz on Displayport, but only 4K@30Hz on HDMI. I'm using original LG high speed HDMI cable.
I think Sierra only uses DP for the 60hz. @4K.

Thanks!
RX 480 8GB or Radeon 7970 3GB, which one is better for FCP ? which brand of RX 480 is more compatible with a hackintosh ?

As of late, the Gigabyte RX 480 has not been reported working. XFX, MSI, Sapphire, Powercooler, Asus and HIS have all provided Uningine benchmarks which can only be obtained with metal support. It depends on the size of your case too, the reference models are more slim and shorter than the multi fan models, and have a 6 pin versus multiple 6 pin or 8 pin designs if your power supply is limited.

The MSI Gaming is probably the heaviest duty board, its very solid. Saphire is like the EVGA (for Nvidia) of AMD cards, its lighter than most cards but performs well. My XFX reference has been able to keep pace with the multi fan, factory overclocked models (Uningine Valley Extreme HD= 1924) its clocked at 1266-1288mhz (XFX has a limited lifetime warranty). Some of the other Aftermarket cards are running at 1344mhz. Powercooler RED DEVIL is large with 3 fans and is up in the top ranks for benchmarks.

The 3 most reported cards are the Sapphire, XFX, and Powercooler. MSI, and ASUS just recently came onboard with support as reported by others. I had a MSI 470 working very well on the early stages but couldn't get the 480 to load, but that has changed just recently. MSI 470 was very smooth, glitch free, and quiet.

If you wait a few months Vega 10 may be a better option for max rendering. We don't even have the card yet and the Driver support is already in Sierra. I can't wait!

Last edited:
The R9 XXX name is only a cosmetic issue, it gets changed by the latest clover to RX 480 but doesn't effect performance.

Something you could try, Intel fake ID 0x04128086, and ig platform 0d220003. If you do this you should be able to inject ATI to get RX 480 name corrected. If you dont inject anything Intel or ATI and use these numbers the R9 xxx name will come up but your performance may improve.
When you get to clover boot screen, before you hit enter disconnect cable to CPU graphics or Igpu. Hit enter and if you get to log in screen the RX should be fully supported and run the highest benchmark scores. It may work for fcpx as well as long as you have the igpu with metal support by adding fake ID and ig numbers.

I use these#s on my g3258 Haswell pentium rig for igpu and it works well, not sure about the 4790k, but it's a Haswell.

Thanks, @Gigamaxx for the reply. I added Intel fake ID 0x04128086, and ig platform 0d220003 as you suggested and it didn't change anything. I removed Inject ATI and as you said the display in About This Mac is R9xxx (I'm okay with that as long as things work). When I Inject ATI it does display properly as RX 480, but I know that's just cosmetic.

When I run both monitors off the RX 480, the one on DisplayPort works perfect, and the one on HDMI is pixelated and rough. Both monitors have both DP and HDMI inputs, so when I switch the cables around, it makes no difference. HDMI does not work correctly, but DP does. I will have to go out and get a second DP cable I guess, which is fine. See screen shot below to see what it looks like on HDMI. EDIT: I don't have 4k monitors - both are 1080p high quality IPS displays with accurate color (Dell U2413 and HP LP2475w).

My bigger issue is that Final Cut Pro crashes as soon as I try to open a library. This has been an issue since upgrading to FCPX 10.3. FCPX 10.2.2 and 10.2.3 were working fine on my old R9 280x, even in Sierra. When I upgraded to FCPX 10.3 this problem started. I removed the R9 280x as a test, and FCPX works fine (albeit slowly) with IGPU and no graphics card installed. When I reinstalled my 280x, the displays never came back on. I tried everything I could think of and I think that card just failed, so I replaced it, hoping that would also fix my FCPX 10.3 problem. Now my new RX 480 shows the same behavior in FCPX 10.3. I really need to resolve that - I know others are running FCPX 10.3 with a RX 480, so I'm trying to hunt down the issue.

Any ideas of where to look? Can I provide my crash report, or something from Console, that those who are smarter than me can look at? I have reached the limits of what I can do on my own and I need help. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 11.42.07 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 11.41.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 11.41.53 AM.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Can you connect the HDMI to your motherboard and not the RX? Boot it up with igpu and RX connected and then test. You may need an igpu monitor connection to get metal support for igpu. You should get 30 bit color. If you only have the 32 bit color you may not have full metal support. Having both igpu and RX in use lowers open GL benchmarks (Uningine) but it works better for open CL like Luxmark.

When you boot up does your RX have 30 bit ARGB2101010 color support? They have made a lot of experimental changes to the latest editions of clover so trying an older version in the 3700-3800 vintage may fix it as well. You might want to put a shout out to jerryy2345 he is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Can you connect the HDMI to your motherboard and not the RX? Boot it up with igpu and RX connected and then test. You may need an igpu monitor connection to get metal support for igpu. You should get 30 bit color. If you only have the 32 bit color you may not have full metal support. Having both igpu and RX in use lowers open GL benchmarks (Uningine) but it works better for open CL like Luxmark.

When you boot up does your RX have 30 bit ARGB2101010 color support? They have made a lot of experimental changes to the latest editions of clover so trying an older version in the 3700-3800 vintage may fix it as well. You might want to put a shout out to jerryy2345 he is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Thanks. I have done both monitors connected to the RX 480, and I have done it with one hooked up with HDMI to the motherboard. Graphics on both monitors work fine when I have one cable to the RX 480 and the other cable to the motherboard.

Any ideas about the FCPX 10. 3 crashes? That is my biggest concern.

Thanks. I have done both monitors connected to the RX 480, and I have done it with one hooked up with HDMI to the motherboard. Graphics on both monitors work fine when I have one cable to the RX 480 and the other cable to the motherboard.

Any ideas about the FCPX 10. 3 crashes? That is my biggest concern.

FCPX crashes when I use the DVI input.
I use the DP input and FCP works

@Gigamaxx Did you mean connecting both monitors to IGPU while leaving the RX 480 installed? I have not tried that. I suppose I can, but I was under the impression that will not provide acceleration.

FCPX crashes when I use the DVI input.
I use the DP input and FCP works

I'm not using DVI at all. Just DP and HDMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back