Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the problem is a combination of truetype fonts and scaling (HiDPI).

If i understand well you are not sending monitor full 4k resolution. That is why its not crisp as your monitor scales your resolution to 4k - you are not watching pixel for pixel. Monitors have mostly bad scalers.

The rest of your problems can have various reasons.

Hey @Gigamaxx can you check my info.plist from my x4001 kext? I think I am doing wrong, tried disabling inject intel from the last clover version and just inject ATI, tried the MSI Guide from here too, but get the same: never get the login screen

I make this steps:

1. Download Kext Utility
  2. Go to /System/Library/Extension and Right Click to AMDRadeonX4100.kext and modify the info.plist
  3. Run Kext Utility
System:
i5-6500
GA-H170M-DS3H
XFX RX 480 8gb

Attached the info.plist and the backup info.plist.

I also have same issue. The boot screen hung before login screen appear. I disabled Intel inject, ATI Inject, and AHCI/FixDisplay.

Asus P8P67 evo
E3 1230 v1
Sapphire RX470 4G
Clover r3949

Attachments

• IMG_20161127_222746.jpg
    IMG_20161127_222746.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20161127_215948.jpg
    IMG_20161127_215948.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
Hey @Gigamaxx can you check my info.plist from my x4001 kext? I think I am doing wrong, tried disabling inject intel from the last clover version and just inject ATI, tried the MSI Guide from here too, but get the same: never get the login screen

I make this steps:

1. Download Kext Utility
  2. Go to /System/Library/Extension and Right Click to AMDRadeonX4100.kext and modify the info.plist
  3. Run Kext Utility
System:
i5-6500
GA-H170M-DS3H
XFX RX 480 8gb

Attached the info.plist and the backup info.plist.

When you right click on the 4100kext and then open contents, you need to remove the info.plist from folder and place on desktop. edit the info.plist and then replace to folder. You should get "Authenticate" and "replace" options before using password, then run kext tool. If the info.plist goes back to folder but you only get "Authentication" and then password then its in the wrong location. Hit cancel and move info.plist directly above the contents folder until you get both prompts.
I cannot open the new info.plist just the original and the fix looks correct.

Last edited:
When you right click on the 4100kext and then open contents, you need to remove the info.plist from folder and place on desktop. edit the info.plist and then replace to folder. You should get "Authenticate" and "replace" options before using password, then run kext tool. If the info.plist goes back to folder but you only get "Authentication" and then password then its in the wrong location. Hit cancel and move info.plist directly above the contents folder until you get both prompts.

Yeah I do that, I get the "Authenticate" and the "Replace" and before reboot my computer I move to the trash the info.plist that are on my desktop, I dont know why I can't get run my RX 480

Yeah I do that, I get the "Authenticate" and the "Replace" and before reboot my computer I move to the trash the info.plist that are on my desktop, I dont know why I can't get run my RX 480

Which version of clover are you using? I haven't tried 3949, only 3923 as the latest to work for me.

I'm using Clover v3923

Check your main partition, the one with libraries/extensions, etc.... EFI backups, do you have more than one version of clover there? Do the config.plists match? Is one injecting Intel and the other not, boot arguments, kext folders with contradictory settings. Use EFI mounter to check EFI partition as well to compare your boot (EFI) clover and your EFI back up clover folders.

When you have a system and add the latest clover on top of the older version it can "Stack Up" and give confusing or contrary settings. Usually this shows in the EFI backup folder.

Check your main partition, the one with libraries/extensions, etc.... EFI backups, do you have more than one version of clover there? Do the config.plists match? Is one injecting Intel and the other not, boot arguments, kext folders with contradictory settings. Use EFI mounter to check EFI partition as well to compare your boot (EFI) clover and your EFI back up clover folders.

When you have a system and add the latest clover on top of the older version it can "Stack Up" and give confusing or contrary settings. Usually this shows in the EFI backup folder.

My system had 2 efi partitions, 1 from my principal partition(ssd) and another from the Backup partition(From my backup with Carbon Copy Cloner), I tried to test all those kext, etc changes on my backup partition to don't "broke" my macOS Principal partition where I work

Edit: Of course all the change in my config.plist are in the Backup EFI partition too

Last edited:
If i understand well you are not sending monitor full 4k resolution. That is why its not crisp as your monitor scales your resolution to 4k - you are not watching pixel for pixel. Monitors have mostly bad scalers.

The rest of your problems can have various reasons.

Hmmm, but what is the right solution?
The monitor gets from the GPU a 4k resolution at 30Hz (3840x2160@30Hz). In macOS, a kind of scaling transforms the desktop resolution of 3200x1800@30Hz to the 4k signal coming out of the GPU.
I can't use 4k without scaling. I think, macOS does this kind of scaling also for the retina displays.

I also don't know, why Win10 is better with this kind of scaling. In Win10 i use a 125% scaling.

Perhaps, macOS calculates the truetype fonts to 3200x1800 and than with the scaling to 4k it is "garbage"/not sharp.
And perhaps windows calculates the truetype fonts to 4k with a bigger size -> no scaling garbage !?

Hmmm, but what is the right solution?
The monitor gets from the GPU a 4k resolution at 30Hz (3840x2160@30Hz). In macOS, a kind of scaling transforms the desktop resolution of 3200x1800@30Hz to the 4k signal coming out of the GPU.
I can't use 4k without scaling. I think, macOS does this kind of scaling also for the retina displays.

I also don't know, why Win10 is better with this kind of scaling. In Win10 i use a 125% scaling.

Perhaps, macOS calculates the truetype fonts to 3200x1800 and than with the scaling to 4k it is "garbage"/not sharp.
And perhaps windows calculates the truetype fonts to 4k with a bigger size -> no scaling garbage !?

What is your system definition? I had no trouble getting 4K with iMac 17.1 definition on a Vizio 43" @30hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back