Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an XFX RS Radeon 480 with 4GB. So far I have full acceleration, metal support and no problems whatsoever. To make my life a little bit easier I have connected two HDMIs to my monitor -one in AMD and one in the onboard. So I boot with the input 1 (onboard) when clover shows I move the choice to Siera, I switch inputs to input 2 (AMD RX 480) and boot normally to MacOS. I read about setting MacOS as default in clover but couldn't get it to work so my next best scenario was this one. At least I don't have to swap the cables every now and then.

A question. I have 10.12.2 beta 1 installed. Should I install beta 3? Any suggestions? Anyone tried?

I just did the same update on one of my test disks, you will have to spend the 5 minutes or so to do the 4100kext ID change. 67FF1002 no longer works as it did earlier make sure to use 67EO1002 for the 67DF change.

What you mean when Say "ARBG2101010 color in metal support" and is a UEFI boot I have everything working and I tried every week to make my XFX RX 480 and some user here have his XFX RX 480 Working and I can't :/

I forgot, you are using a dvi screen, or connector, right? I did tests early on and used a dvi adapter and I could not get the 30 bit ARBG2101010 color support. It may require a 1080p screen and HDMI cable minimum. My Skylake build gets this 30 bit color support even with the igpu.
SKL CRB graphics.png
The highest scoring Uningine Valley open GL benchmarks are obtained by this level of igpu support. For example, a 1923 is obtainable with my XFX RX 480 in 30 bit metal support. When I run the same card with my Pentium g3258 with hd 4200 graphics @ 32 bit color I am stuck in the low 1830s. Its almost a 100 point difference between having full igpu metal support and a non supported igpu.

Attachments

• apple skl.png
    apple skl.png
    846.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I forgot, you are using a dvi screen, or connector, right? I did tests early on and used a dvi adapter and I could not get the 30 bit ARBG2101010 color support. It may require a 1080p screen and HDMI cable minimum. My Skylake build gets this 30 bit color support even with the igpu.

Mine Said: "Pixel Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)" and yep I'm using a HDMI Cable, similar to this cable adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YOSA85Q/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 19.12.08.png

^^^
Why don't you buy a brand/model of card that is confirmed working.
I have a red devil 480. Works perfectly and easy to setup.

With the 480 you do the following.

In Bios. Set igpu as primary initial display to ipgu
In clover select inject ati.
Go to System/Library/Extensions and find AMDRadeonX4100.kext
Right click and select 'show package contents'.
Copy info.plist to desktop
Open in text edit.
Find <key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x67E01002 0x67FF1002 0x67EF1002</string>
Replace <key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x67E01002 0x67FF1002 0x67EF1002 0x67DF1002</string>
Save info.plist
Now copy it to the contents of 4100.kext and replace the original with the edited info.plist
Final step, download/open kext utility. Let it do it's thing.
Restart system.
Everything should now work.

What should you do in this scenario if you have a i7 5820k? I have no Igpu so the only option I have is booting off the RX480 which upon changing the ktext will cause the system to not boot.

Are you injecting a lot of kexts and Kernel patches? If you look at the latest clover bootloader 3923, the Drivers64uefi folder has a lot of drivers added, and it's loading Dayman Framebuffer as well. I've noticed the screen plugged into the RX 480 pops up and goes blank about 3 times before landing solid and being useable.
RoMY3EZ.png

I'm in clover 3793, so not latest. Its kexts and drivers64uefi are same as before, before i installed RX480. The system had only Intel IGPU then, it used to so boot fast. After selecting osx in clover menu, the progress bar get filled like 20% in like 3-4 seconds and then desktop appears.

But that was before pluggin RX480. I'm not using any inject ID or inject ATI in clover, just editing Info.plist of 4100 kext. No dayman injection. Now the progress bar fills 100%, and it fiils up sloooooooowly. Then desktop appears, also as you said there's another 2-3 sec black screen delay between progress bar 100% fill and desktop appearing. :/

What should you do in this scenario if you have a i7 5820k? I have no Igpu so the only option I have is booting off the RX480 which upon changing the ktext will cause the system to not boot.

Do you have an extra pcie slot? If you put an AMD 5450 ($40 US) in slot one and the RX 480 in slot two, the 5450 will act like integrated graphics. Using a "native" AMD card like that or a R9 270x will work with peg or pcie as primary display. This has been tested by a few people including myself and it works.

^^^
Why don't you buy a brand/model of card that is confirmed working.
I have a red devil 480. Works perfectly and easy to setup.

Hi rhys, hi everyone.

I've seen u've done FCP X work, that's my primary goal. I need your help (and anyone's invited).
Digging this topic and not only ,still looking for.. u know.. maybe i didn't find, understand or seen written yet answers.

So, my understanding is your experince and others too is OOB COULD BE gigabyte RX 460 4 Gb. BUT if there is an IGPU. I don't. BUT i'm runnig yosemite pretty stable on: Intel 990X, MB: asus p6tD deluxe v2 X58 chipset, 12 Gb tri-channel memory and two (not in sli, of course) Palit gtx 460 1 Gb.
The mac is build with unibeast tools, dual boot yos/win8 (thanks tonymacs and friends).

THE BIG issue is: in FCP X when I'm starting to work (or motion) after a while the sistem freeze/halt. VERY rare in safari also.
I reckon i'm not an ace on hackintosh, but i can handle pretty much... i think.

The question(s) is:
- If i buy an RX 460 (more fitted for final cut as i see), i might be the lucky one to set it primary and have it flawlesly working?
- The (last resort) work around with one gtx 460 for boot and switch to AMD after is it possible (on DVI... DP, HDMI...)?

Thanks in advance. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
I think it's a gamble. A 280x would be a much better choice for you I think. Fast in fcpx. Works oob with no hassle.
With RX460 you need to update your os to sierra. I don't think the 460 is any faster than the 280x. Probably actually slower.

If you really want to upgrade to a modern AMD card, I would try to stretch to a RX480 4gb.
You would then need to upgrade to sierra and I would use clover as the bootloader.
The problem is it probably won't boot with either the 460 or 480 as primary. So would would need to factor in the cost of a 5450 just to be able to boot into osx if you are unable to use the GTX 460 as a bootcard.
So if you don't mind hassle, 460/480 is a good choice for you. A 280x would be much simpler, but they use more power due to being older tech.

Regarding stability. The RX480 is very stable in fcpx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back