Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
psst ... macOS High Sierra 10.13 Public Beta Seven is out there.

It seems to be Autoloading apfs mode. Piker came up with a script to fix for HFS+ mode. Its getting brutal!

It seems to be Autoloading apfs mode. Piker came up with a script to fix for HFS+ mode. Its getting brutal!

Pull the drive off of the SATA bus, etc. Hook it up to a SATA To USB adaptor, and plug it into a USB port. (USB 3.0 works for doing this, USB 2.0 should work, I have not tried the latest USB 3.2) Run the updater on it and you will keep HFS+ mode if it was in HFS mode to begin with. (In other words, treat it like it is an external drive hooked up to your iMac or Mac mini -- ahh the Mac mini, remember those? :) -- and you will avoid the APFS problems). If you want to convert it later, DiskUtility has the option to do the conversion.

If you need to get the apfs.efi file to use for some reason, after the install is done, you will find the latest version in Vol-Name/usr/standalone/i386/apfs.efi

Thanks, that's a great tip, I've dealt with APFS mode and it's frustrating if you have multiple disks and OS versions, due to the boot requirements needed.

Mac Mini, my brother in law just got a new one for his business server. There a niche for these things in the small server market. He also mentioned a buddy hacking a Nuc for a server.

Pull the drive off of the SATA bus, etc. Hook it up to a SATA To USB adaptor, and plug it into a USB port. (USB 3.0 works for doing this, USB 2.0 should work, I have not tried the latest USB 3.2) Run the updater on it and you will keep HFS+ mode if it was in HFS mode to begin with. (In other words, treat it like it is an external drive hooked up to your iMac or Mac mini -- ahh the Mac mini, remember those? :) -- and you will avoid the APFS problems). If you want to convert it later, DiskUtility has the option to do the conversion.

If you need to get the apfs.efi file to use for some reason, after the install is done, you will find the latest version in Vol-Name/usr/standalone/i386/apfs.efi

Oh yeah, back in Public Beta Five and carried over into Public Beta Six, Apple made some changes to the AMD controller and accelerator kexts, that made them close to the way they work in 10.12, the named frame buffer patches that were not working in earlier versions of High Sierra are now working again, AND audio IS working for the AMD cards overs DisplayPort and HDMI. I will not be able to do much investigating of what the Public Beta Seven changes are until later this week.

Thanks, that's a great tip, I've dealt with APFS mode and it's frustrating if you have multiple disks and OS versions, due to the boot requirements needed.

Mac Mini, my brother in law just got a new one for his business server. There a niche for these things in the small server market. He also mentioned a buddy hacking a Nuc for a server.

They are great for small servers and for portable small stations you unplug and stick in your carrying case to take with you to the next job. Just plug them back into a monitor and go.

Beta 7 installed without any issues on my rig tonight

Asus Z97-A
Radeon R9 370X
Sandisk SSD

Audio and ethernet working fine
Wireless card working fine too
Bluetooth no issues

J

I put the latest lilu and whatevergreen kexts in System/Library/Extensions ran kext wizzard, and also have them in Clover kext folder 12.13. Did you make a new kext folder for 12.13? Clover only comes with 10.12 and other. You can just rename other folder or create a new 12.13 kext folder.

Note: As of Sierra 12.6 no modifications need to be made to kexts or Clover for Polaris cards (in general terms specific brands or port layouts may vary). The only thing that doesn't work is the name R9 xxx. It if you inject ATI or use the Whatevergreen kext combo it names it Radeon Pro 480/575.

Are you getting the 480/575 when using the helper card? If not the kexts may not be working.

Sorry for the delay. I finally had time to try many different combinations and still can't get HS to boot with just my RX480 (or with a helper card for that matter). I just get a black screen after the progress bar is mostly finished (or a black screen on the helper card and a completely yellow screen on the 480).

Everything is working perfectly under 10.12.6. No kext or Clover modifications and my system reports my card as Radeon Pro 480/575 8192 MB (with or without a helper card). I've tried with the Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts in 10.13, Other, and S/L/E (with kext wizard).

If anyone has an EFI folder and/or config they know boots GA-X99-UD4 in HS, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 3.37.44 PM.png

Sorry for the delay. I finally had time to try many different combinations and still can't get HS to boot with just my RX480 (or with a helper card for that matter). I just get a black screen after the progress bar is mostly finished (or a black screen on the helper card and a completely yellow screen on the 480).

Everything is working perfectly under 10.12.6. No kext or Clover modifications and my system reports my card as Radeon Pro 480/575 8192 MB (with or without a helper card). I've tried with the Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts in 10.13, Other, and S/L/E (with kext wizard).

If anyone has an EFI folder and/or config they know boots GA-X99-UD4 in HS, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

View attachment 275580

Try unplugging the cable and reinserting a few times after black screen. If you can try different ports.

Thanks!

View attachment 275580
You might be able to use the efi from this posted clover.zip. I have an asusx99 and I couldn't install HiSierra. I used this efi and got HS installed. Then I stripped out all the patches I didn't need for my setup and it is working fine. Worth a try-- http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...de-but-maybe-a-working-in-progress/?p=2468893 Good Luck You do need Lilu and whatevergreen.kext for rx480

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back