Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

And there is even more: after getting this "bug" fixed again, i could say, that my 4-monitor setup is working perfectly with HighSierra beta3: having two identical monitors here: 2x LG 27" 4k connected through 2 Displayport, one HDMI to an AV-Receiver and one HDMI from iGPU. Full working 8-channel sound via AV-Receiver.

I have had some time to go through Rehabman's full text and try a few things, but I do not think that is the main problem. While I cannot rule out a bug in the USB drivers, or that issues he raises in the tutorial are affecting things here, I have also had time to find a few more issues.

Scenario One: DP cable from the RX 460 card to the monitor and HDMI cable from the RX 460 card to the same monitor. This works fine, and I can use the monitor's input selector to switch between the two connectors and essentially use the HDMI as an extended desktop, Audio and video are both working:

Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 3.46.39 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 3.46.53 PM.jpg

Scenario Two: DP cable from the RX 460 card to the monitor and HDMI cable from the RX 460 card to a tv with HDMI input. The second screen shows up just as it should, but the mouse now locks up wherever it is when the tv is connected. (It does not jump up to the left corner and try to hide)

Scenario Three: DP cable from the RX 460 card to the monitor and HDMI cable from the RX 460 card to a a/v receiver. As long as the receiver is turned off, no issue. Turn it on and then the issue I described occurs, the mouse jumps up into theft corner and does not move. The connected tv shows a signal, but the screen is black -- not the no-signal-grayish black, but the got-a-signal-but-no-picture black.

So I think there is an issue somewhere else.

So is there any development on black screen without helper card/igpu ?

So is there any development on black screen without helper card/igpu ?

With High Sierra Vega cards are working without IGPU, Polaris no. But High Sierra has good Audio for Polaris.

Do you remember my problems with 2 RX480 cards? (crashing window server)

So, I flashed it with RX580 bios - no difference, still crashing on 10.12.5.
I also tested it on 10.12.6 - still crashing, but at least, I could remove all entries from Clover config related to AMD GPU (I left only "arbitrary" section for PCI ID 02:00.00 with fake device-id, otherwise it would crash).

But there is a funny difference between single GPU RX480 in 10.12.5 vs 10.12.6. I have 2 displays, one connected via DisplayPort (RX480) and the other via HDMI to D-Sub (iGPU).
On 10.12.5 everything works as expected, i.e. HDMI->D-Sub is used during the boot (and macOS loading) process and then goes black (I was thinking maybe HDMI to D-Sub would help but it behaves the same way as when D-Sub from motherboard is used directly), while on 10.12.6 I can't boot this way - HDMI->D-Sub stops on macOS booting screen and RX480 DisplayPort is never initialized (2nd display does not receive a signal).
On 10.12.6, if only one display is used - the one with DisplayPort from RX480 and HDMI from iGPU is also attached to it (it has multiple inputs that can be switched or used - by screen splitting - at the same time) then everything boots as expected. I.e. macOS detects two displays and boots to desktop.

@Mork_vom_Ork and @jerry12345

I stumbled upon an interesting situation here. I've been testing a i3 7350K (Kaby Lake) 4.2GHz and the only reference to this in OS is here with NeilHart and his custom builds. He mentioned he disabled the IGPU graphics and uses a Nvidia card as primary display. I messed for a couple of days with this to get IGPU working but it would not boot. After reading his thread I put a Nvidia Gt210 card in and it booted right up. After I was in High Sierra I worked a bit more and got IGPU partially supported along with GT210. I then placed RX 480 in system and messed with ig settings and got it to boot. It ran OK like ny pentium setup with partial frame buffer but no IOaccelerators for IGPU. I played with ig setup and used 0x19120001 (Skylake) and got this RX 480 as only graphics in about This Mac. See pics and Ioreg.

About this Mac RX 480 KBL CRB.png

This is after 0x19120001 for ig. RX 480 only.

About this amc RX 480 no IGPU.png

Uningine benches (no IGPU?), somewhat low for this card with IGPU it is I the 1900s for valley and 1250s for heaven.

Valley RX 480 .png
Heaven RX 480.png

Geekbench dropped from 140,000 (with IGPU) to 101,000 so its a little buggy and the missing IGPU support is probably the issue. Bios settings still have the IGPU/IGFX as primary display but the IOReg shows bare minimal display support and no IntelFramebuffer loaded. Its AppleDisplay only which is interesting and new.

Ioreg. RX 480 no igpu.zip

With IGPU partial and RX 480

IOREg. RX 480 + IGPU partial.zip

P.S. I'm afraid to reboot.

Attachments

• Ioreg. RX 480 no igpu.zip
    5 MB · Views: 130
  • IORegistry High Sierra.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 62
  • IOREg. RX 480 + IGPU partial.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Do you remember my problems with 2 RX480 cards? (crashing window server)

So, I flashed it with RX580 bios - no difference, still crashing on 10.12.5.
I also tested it on 10.12.6 - still crashing, but at least, I could remove all entries from Clover config related to AMD GPU (I left only "arbitrary" section for PCI ID 02:00.00 with fake device-id, otherwise it would crash).

But there is a funny difference between single GPU RX480 in 10.12.5 vs 10.12.6. I have 2 displays, one connected via DisplayPort (RX480) and the other via HDMI to D-Sub (iGPU).
On 10.12.5 everything works as expected, i.e. HDMI->D-Sub is used during the boot (and macOS loading) process and then goes black (I was thinking maybe HDMI to D-Sub would help but it behaves the same way as when D-Sub from motherboard is used directly), while on 10.12.6 I can't boot this way - HDMI->D-Sub stops on macOS booting screen and RX480 DisplayPort is never initialized (2nd display does not receive a signal).
On 10.12.6, if only one display is used - the one with DisplayPort from RX480 and HDMI from iGPU is also attached to it (it has multiple inputs that can be switched or used - by screen splitting - at the same time) then everything boots as expected. I.e. macOS detects two displays and boots to desktop.

I have seen similar results in 10.13 Public Beta. I think we are getting progress a chunk at a time, as in, in 10.12.5 multiple displays were okay but we had no sound. In 10.13, sound is working for each kind of 'display', but in some situations, we are limited as to how many 'displays' can connected at the same time.

Off topic on topic....

Does anyone know when Intel plans to integrate HDMI 2.0 and/or DP 1.3 (or 1.4) into their iGPU?

I have done enormous amounts of searching with no info to be found.

This isn't directly related to AMD graphics BUT the tangent I see is...If Intel integrates these standards then Apple will also do so in their drivers.

I am excited to hear the news about solo booting AMD cards , hopefully some low to mid end cards arrive in the next 18 month. It would be nice if the DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 ports are fully functional.

Off topic on topic....

Does anyone know when Intel plans to integrate HDMI 2.0 and/or DP 1.3 (or 1.4) into their iGPU?

I have done enormous amounts of searching with no info to be found.

This isn't directly related to AMD graphics BUT the tangent I see is...If Intel integrates these standards then Apple will also do so in their drivers.

I am excited to hear the news about solo booting AMD cards , hopefully some low to mid end cards arrive in the next 18 month. It would be nice if the DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 ports are fully functional.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...ke-its-first-post-tick-tock-cpu-architecture/

"Kaby’s biggest advertised feature is improved support for 4K."
"HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 are also supported, which (respectively) enable 4K output at 60Hz over an HDMI cable and provide the DRM required to carry an encrypted 4K signal from the thing that’s playing it to the screen that will show it. The maximum supported DisplayPort version remains 1.2, however, dashing the hopes of anyone who wants to drive a 5K display at 60Hz over a single cable using DisplayPort 1.3."

Check the motherboards from the various manufacturers, at the moment, the Z270n chipset is the newest available. The above article is a bit dated, (mostly everyone skipped over DisplayPort 1.3 for DP1.4), but something close to it will be what I have found so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back