Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

I just plugged in Gigabyte RX460 2GB, based on OOB stories in this thread, and it did work!

I've few questions and concerns.

When powering the computer on, after a few seconds I hear this "revving" sound, and i think it's the RX460, immediately after goes into black screen. Until sign in screen. I use DP from iGPU (HD 4000), and then switch to DP on RX460 once on desktop.

I've an old monitor with VGA and DVI, and MB has DP, VGA, and serial port. Is it possible to use this monitor for boot screen? I know that VGA is not supported (I tried) in 10.12, but if I use DP from MB to VGA on old monitor will this work to make the old monitor serve as boot screen loader?

It's a hassle to disconnect the DP every time I get to desktop. I could use HDMI but there's no 60 hrtz support.

Any ideas? what do you guys do to boot with RX460?

I read that the "R9 xxx" in About This Mac is purely cosmetic, so I'm not gonna bother there. Is there anything I need to do in order to enable acceleration or performance? I don't game at all, mostly 4k video editing.

Thanks.

Specs:

HP 8300 CMT
i7-3770
24 GB Ram
RX 460
EVO 850 SSD

The easiest (read that to mean least expensive) approach is to use what is called 'blind booting'; just hook your monitor up to the RX 460's DP port and turn the machine on. After a while, the log-in screen will appear and you can go about your usual fun. [You may find that you actually only need to access the Clover boot screen on an irregular basis. For those few times where you actually do need to access the boot screen, to, oh say switch to a different startup drive or debug something then swapping cables does work.]

DP switches that support 4K are expensive, it is often cheaper to buy a new monitor with multiple DP inputs than to get a version 1.2 supporting DP switch, but they do exist.

Gigamaxx has written that he has had success using the VGA connector on an old monitor for accessing the boot screen, but I have also read of people having problems when things do not go right. The VGA signal supposedly drops out once the AMD-Apple 95nn and 4100 kexts load.

The R9 xxx problem is indeed cosmetic, but having it read 'AMD Radeon RX460 2048 MB' is a nice touch. It is automatically fixed IF you enable the Clover based RX 460 Berbice frame buffer patch you can find by going backwards in this thread, (it is quite a few pages back though). I have not checked exactly how much performance you gain or lose by using Berbice over the generic, but the patch is stable.

Hi everyone!

I just plugged in Gigabyte RX460 2GB, based on OOB stories in this thread, and it did work!

I've few questions and concerns.

When powering the computer on, after a few seconds I hear this "revving" sound, and i think it's the RX460, immediately after goes into black screen. Until sign in screen. I use DP from iGPU (HD 4000), and then switch to DP on RX460 once on desktop.

I've an old monitor with VGA and DVI, and MB has DP, VGA, and serial port. Is it possible to use this monitor for boot screen? I know that VGA is not supported (I tried) in 10.12, but if I use DP from MB to VGA on old monitor will this work to make the old monitor serve as boot screen loader?

It's a hassle to disconnect the DP every time I get to desktop. I could use HDMI but there's no 60 hrtz support.

Any ideas? what do you guys do to boot with RX460?

I read that the "R9 xxx" in About This Mac is purely cosmetic, so I'm not gonna bother there. Is there anything I need to do in order to enable acceleration or performance? I don't game at all, mostly 4k video editing.

Thanks.

Specs:

HP 8300 CMT
i7-3770
24 GB Ram
RX 460
EVO 850 SSD

My setup lately is VGA connected to mobo and monitor (AOC) and hdmi connected to RX 460-480. The vga shows boot menu, then at log in screen it drops out. I set screen resolution to 1920x1080 in clover GUI settings and the VGA works in clover screen but is not supported in Sierra so it drops and all I have showing in about this Mac is the RX conected to the same AOC monitor. One monitor using vga for mobo and hdmi for RX cards.

Gigamaxx i need your help .I updated first with app store update after update the hd530 didn't boot proper ,then I went back to 10.12.4 then updated via terminal .edited the kexts in x4100 and 9510 then booted then also same problem hd530 loads a bit 65 to 70 percent then it gives a blocked signal logo ..I am confused what is the problem ..maybe I have to change to config file ?? New values maybe for the update in ig platform id

I have not used my Skylake build for a while now, I will try later tonight and see what's up.
Check your clover EFI folder and see if it has

EFI/
Apple
Boot
Clover

I have found the Apple folder sometimes gets placed in the EFI folder and by removing /trash it the system will boot. This may be happening, it is usually the cause of my pentium not working after a system update. After I remove it the system boots.

Look for an Apple folder in the EFI partition.

O
I have not used my Skylake build for a while now, I will try later tonight and see what's up.
Check your clover EFI folder and see if it has

EFI/
Apple
Boot
Clover

I have found the Apple folder sometimes gets placed in the EFI folder and by removing /trash it the system will boot. This may be happening, it is usually the cause of my pentium not working after a system update. After I remove it the system boots.

Look for an Apple folder in the EFI partition.
I will try this so I remove apple folder? .. yes the apple folder is inside the efi folder there are many files inside that folder should I remove it or should I bring that folder out of efi folder and place it outside ?

Last edited:
I did not intend to confuse you more, sorry about that.

The issue you are seeing has nothing to do with the RX cards, it is due to changes Apple made in their drivers for the HD 530 and newer IGPUs. You could pull your RX card out of your computer and still see the same problem.

Try what Tony is suggesting in the linked thread:

Turn off Inject-Intel in the Clover config.plist file and then boot. Install the two kexts and use KextBeast or a similar program to clean things up.

If it is difficult to access the boot drive from another drive, get to the Clover boot screen and turn off the Inject-Intel option for that single boot <--- this is possible if you hit the spacebar fast enough and scroll through the options.

After you get booting for the HD 530, etc. IGPU working, then make your changes to the AMD-Apple kexts the same way you did for 10.12.4 and you should be back to working as you did in the past.

Yes, you could make all of the changes at once and have them work, but that approach makes it more difficult to isolate problems.
I was very annoyed last night I m again back to 10.12.4 I try it again and see... btw I have inject intel always off and I tried with inject intel on also and still did not work

Last edited:
O

I will try this so I remove apple folder? .. yes the apple folder is inside the refi folder there are many files inside that folder should I remove it or should I bring that folder out of refi folder and place it outside ?

I removed the entire folder many times and it worked. Before I removed it I used -v or verbose boot flag and it stopped at gIOScreenLockState. After removing it booted normally.

I was very annoyed last night I m again back to 10.12.4 I try it again and see... btw I have inject intel always off and I tried with inject intel on also and still did not work

Inject-Intel being off while still having the problem is troubling. That should allow you to get to the desktop though without any kind of acceleration. One thing not being mentioned is which version of Clover is being used. The current general release version is 4077, and from reading the thread Tony linked to (over on InsanelyMac.com) it would seem they were using very recent Clover versions. What good or not that will do I cannot say, but every little bit may help. The Lilu kext being mentioned is a 'helper' kext that sits in the background and 'helps' other kexts work (sort of in the spirit of Rehabman's FakePCIID kext). It is used by a variety of other kexts, such as Shiki. The other kext mentioned is supposed to be the one that fixes the Intel IGPU issue, you may need to chat with the developer for a better fix for your system.

Inject-Intel being off while still having the problem is troubling. That should allow you to get to the desktop though without any kind of acceleration. One thing not being mentioned is which version of Clover is being used. The current general release version is 4077, and from reading the thread Tony linked to (over on InsanelyMac.com) it would seem they were using very recent Clover versions. What good or not that will do I cannot say, but every little bit may help. The Lilu kext being mentioned is a 'helper' kext that sits in the background and 'helps' other kexts work (sort of in the spirit of Rehabman's FakePCIID kext). It is used by a variety of other kexts, such as Shiki. The other kext mentioned is supposed to be the one that fixes the Intel IGPU issue, you may need to chat with the developer for a better fix for your system.
I have the latest updated clover 4077 yeah I need to check if this works or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back