Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got home, people tagging me at last minute with "requests" at work. They did work on the AMD9000controllerkext my R7 265 system definition blew out.
R7 265 AbouthtisMac.png HD 7XXX AboutthisMac.png

Good News for RX 480 after update to Sierra public beta 12.4 version 3 It still works with the simple Clover ATI fake ID 0x67EF1002. Bad news is the inject ATI leads to black screen even though you hear the fans spin up like a normal boot. It seems like the Clover creators have achieved the same black screen boot issue we started with in Sierra and are trying to get away from.

Just set fake ID and do not inject ATI. I used iHex to fix the R9 XXX to RX 480 in the 9510Controllerkext. So this last update replaced the 9000controller, 9510controller, and 4100kext for me as all my fixes were undone.

@Jerry2345 look at this RX 480 HDMI Audio pic the "Current Samplerate 48000" ? Maybe we need to increase or decrease the sample rate to align with the video rate.

RX 480 beta 12.4 fake ID.png RX 480 Audio 12.4-3.png

Last edited:
I just got home, people tagging me at last minute with "requests" at work. They did work on the AMD9000controllerkext my R7 265 system definition blew out.
View attachment 237566 View attachment 237567

Good News for RX 480 after update to Sierra public beta 12.4 version 3 It still works with the simple Clover ATI fake ID 0x67EF1002. Bad news is the inject ATI leads to black screen even though you hear the fans spin up like a normal boot. It seems like the Clover creators have achieved the same black screen boot issue we started with in Sierra and are trying to get away from.

Just set fake ID and do not inject ATI. I used iHex to fix the R9 XXX to RX 480 in the 9510Controllerkext. So this last update replaced the 9000controller, 9510controller, and 4100kext for me as all my fixes were undone.

@Jerry2345 look at this RX 480 HDMI Audio pic the "Current Samplerate 48000" ? Maybe we need to increase or decrease the sample rate to align with the video rate.

View attachment 237577 View attachment 237579
Hi there, how is it that you achieve audio through the RX480?? I'm going nuts with this!

If you look back some few pages, there is a quick Clover fix that will set your graphics card name (cosmetic change) in the About This Mac and System Report screens. That way you do not have to mess with the hex changes.

It would be really nice if things worked that way. But that sample rate is not the parameter that needs fixing.

http://thestereobus.com/2008/01/12/sample-rate-and-bitrate-the-guts-of-digital-audio/

If you look back some few pages, there is a quick Clover fix that will set your graphics card name (cosmetic change) in the About This Mac and System Report screens. That way you do not have to mess with the hex changes.

It would be really nice if things worked that way. But that sample rate is not the parameter that needs fixing.

http://thestereobus.com/2008/01/12/sample-rate-and-bitrate-the-guts-of-digital-audio/

I know about the fixes using clover config.plist edits, I do the manual fixes to see if they survive the updates.

Thanks for sharing that audio link, I have not been able to find anything on the google as far as specs for the Polaris Audio is it 16,24,32 bit? Its defaulting at 24 bit 46,000 kHz for me.

@FlOr!an, Sierra 12.4 version 3 public beta is not recognizing the CU limit fix. I can't find the "find" values similar to what happened to the Baffin to Ellesmere problem in 12.4 version 1.

Is it possible they assigned new values to the Baffin CU limit?

I was able to replace the new RadeonX4100 with version 2 and I have the 36 CUs, but it would not fix on the 12.4 3 version.
We'll see how long it will hold out before it doesn't work after more updates.

I know about the fixes using clover config.plist edits, I do the manual fixes to see if they survive the updates.
All System Files are restored back to their original state during an update if the current signature doesn't match the original signature. Doesn't mean that that the file was updated. If you look at the AMD9510Controller.kext inside info.plist file the DTSDKBuild version is 16E163e which was 10.12.4 beta 2, 10.12.4 beta 3 is build version 16E163f

Thanks for sharing that audio link, I have not been able to find anything on the google as far as specs for the Polaris Audio is it 16,24,32 bit? Its defaulting at 24 bit 46,000 kHz for me.

AMD is touting their audio for the Polaris and later architectures as TrueAudio Next, fwiw. But the cards come with DisplayPort 1.4 (and 1.2) connectors as well as HDMI 2.0 connectors which puts a hard limit on what is possible.

According to Wikipedia, Display Port 1.4 is at "8-channel audio with sampling rates up to 24 bit 192 kHz" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort) while HDMI 2.0 is "... Up to 32 audio channels, …, Up to 1536kHz audio sample frequency" --no bit depth mentioned -- (http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/index.aspx)

It is most likely limited by the Apple - AMD drivers. I have not found any mention of Apple using the sound physics libraries created by AMD for the TrueAudio Next platform, which is a bit puzzling actually as lots of folks are claiming Apple is trying to break into the game market (yeah I take that claim with a few mounds of salt as well) and these would be a natural fit to use.

Hi there, how is it that you achieve audio through the RX480?? I'm going nuts with this!

Actually, none of the RX nnn cards have working audio in Sierra yet.

You can get the Sound Preference Pane controls using a script such as https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-automatic-hdmi-audio-script-released.184867/ or similar. This is a combination script installer for Intel, NVidea, and AMD HDMI / DP audio. Be careful though about allowing it to install the Intel HDMI audio. Some folks report problems afterwards using apps such as Safari, iMovie, FCPX etc. while others have no problems with them. Keep in mind this does not give you good working audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back