Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest fix is to remove parts of the Intel SKL Graphics kext. Basically it will disable or degrade performance of your integrated or cpu graphics but when using a RX 480 the CPU IGFX is only needed for the boot screen. It will probably lower performance for open GL apps and gaming but for open CL apps it should be fine. This fix has been reported to work for more than one user and its important if you are using FCPx for a living.
Thanks since this is a single purpose machine thats been the sticking point. I appreciate what the community has done. To further the cause. I can't imagine abandoning the Apple coolaid , and since they have control of the hardware software they can definitely squeeze every bit out of everything, they just have made things difficult for people who need things like high speed networking and can't rely on Thunderbolt. If they abandon Intel, we are all in a heap of trouble.

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
Good morning,
thank you, I did it, it is now the result:

Fabrizios-MacBook-Pro:~ sev7en$ sudo su

Password:

sh-3.2# cd /Volumes/Repository/-\ MAC_from18.12.2016/-\ eGPU\ v7\ -\ 20.01.2017

sh-3.2# ./automate-eGPU_v7.sh

*** automate-eGPU.sh v1.0.0 ***

* (c) 2016, 2017 by Goalque & FricoRico *

Detected eGPU

Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480]

Current OS X

10.12.4 16E144f

Previous OS X

[not found]

Latest installed Nvidia web driver

[not found]

Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

IOPCITunnelCompatible mods done.

Rebuilding caches...

All ready. Please restart the Mac.

sh-3.2#

but... it continues to dont' work. What's wrong?

View attachment 234744
Do you have the Nvidia web drivers installed? I keep seeing that Nvidia message. Check in Library/Extensions or System/Library/Extensions.

Also, when you edit the info.plist for 4100kext you need to drag the info.plist to the desktop, make the edit and then replace it to the folder. You should get "authenticate" and " replace" prompts and then password. Before you reboot you need to run a kext tool like Kextwizzard to fix repair permissions and clear caches. Kext beast doesn't usually work you'll need to use Kextwizzard. Google it. There is a video on YouTube by Philips Garage RX 480 in sierra. Watch it a few times and then redo the fix.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K@4.7
Graphics
Sapphire RX480 Nitro 8gb +VEGA 56
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
you would need to disable the igpu and edit the bios of the 480 so it doesn't post during boot.
Can you explain how did you do this? I'm up for more experiencing

Motherboard
Sony Vaio Intel Lynx Point-LP (Premium)
CPU
i7-4500U
Graphics
HD 4400
Do you have the Nvidia web drivers installed? I keep seeing that Nvidia message. Check in Library/Extensions or System/Library/Extensions.

Also, when you edit the info.plist for 4100kext you need to drag the info.plist to the desktop, make the edit and then replace it to the folder. You should get "authenticate" and " replace" prompts and then password. Before you reboot you need to run a kext tool like Kextwizzard to fix repair permissions and clear caches. Kext beast doesn't usually work you'll need to use Kextwizzard. Google it. There is a video on YouTube by Philips Garage RX 480 in sierra. Watch it a few times and then redo the fix.
Thanks, I did exactly that but it doesn't work. The ID of my GPU is different, could be that?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
To get fcpx to work you would need to delete parts of the intel igpu kext files, or you would need to disable the igpu and edit the bios of the 480 so it doesn't post during boot. Probably not a great idea if you don't have a dual bios.

Personally I went with the second option and it's working great so far, although I don't need to boot into windows so it may not be a great solution for others who do. Sleep etc. all works fine.
I don't know what was done but i replaced my previous config.plist with the optimized one Gigamaxx verified for me (and you can check them in the backlog).
I cannot tell you if something was disabled or similar, i'm not that deep into this things.
My display is only connected to the RX480, and i can tell you that iGPU is enabled in BIOS, also in OSX.
In terms of dual BIOS, i saw in the Manual of my Gigabyte MLB that it has a dual BIOS.
So far i never had any freeze or so since i build up this System and all is running flawlessy. From on board sound, over sleep and wake up to applications. The only minor Problem so far is that the System sometimes restarts or powers on again when you select "shutdown". But AFAIK i already found a thread about a workaround.

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
Thanks, I did exactly that but it doesn't work. The ID of my GPU is different, could be that?
What brand of RX 480 is it? All RX 470-480s have 0x67DF1002 as far as I know. Only the RX 460 has a different ID 0x67EF1002.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Can you explain how did you do this? I'm up for more experiencing
Below is how I edited the 480 bios.

I then booted into windows and used winflash to flash the bios over. In clover I still use the EF67 injection.
However this is something you would do at your own risk, and I wouldn't personally do it if I didn't have a dual bios on my card in which to recover from.

Motherboard
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
..... Sleep with Skylake requires igpu IGFX to be connected to a monitor to function, this is a work around for that.
A workaround for less compatible hardware combos yes, but not strongly needed for "Skylake". Works without here from the very first day.

Motherboard
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
An update regarding FCPX....

I downloaded the BruceX Test XML file and started to import it into FCPX 10.3.2. After a while FCPX crashes before it finishes the import process. Tested it twice, always the same behavior.
Anyway, beside that FCPX works. Davinci Resolve Studio also.
Maybe it's also the XML file in a version missmatch since its available for more than 4 years in a uneveloped state.
Going forward with the Adobe suite....

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299-A
CPU
i9-7920X
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'm noticing different LuxMark scores when testing the RX 480 at different resolutions on my 4K monitor. Is this something I should expect? I apologize, I'm not familiar with OpenCL's workings but I thought it would be resolution independent. First score is the monitor scaled to 3360 x 1890 (via Display Preferences). Second score is native 4K (3840 x 2160).

My old eyes struggle a little at native 4K resolution for everyday work (which is coding). I doubt this difference is noticeable in most "real world" situations but I was just curious. Thanks.

3360 x 1890 @ 30 Hz.png 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz.png

Status
Not open for further replies.