Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
??? If you are not interested in gaming nor fcpx and you are looking for low power consumption, loudness and pricing, why don't you go for e.g. the Zotac Geforce GT 730 (4GB DDR3) ???

Cheers
-----------------------------------------------

Thank you guys for your personal thoughts on that.
This AMD vs. Nvidia NLE story makes me headache.
I checked the Nvidia CUDA camp then i read this:

Then i checked the pricing for a GTX980Ti, for a GTX1080, i even did so for GTX1060 variants. Insanely high and out of my target. Also the temperatures, loudness _and_ especially the power consumption which is very important for me due the expensive costs here in Europe are nothing i'd like to own for every day work or general idle mode.

A RX480 maybe isn't really comparable in terms of performance, but all other important things like power consumption, loudness and pricing really fits my needs. And hey, i don't plan to play games with this box.

So given the fact there highly likely won't be any driver for Pascal CUDA cards for OSX and some of them already go back to the predecessors variants, and the specs, costs of the card and running costs overall frighten me i just see one solution: AMD.

Keeping that in mind what just confused me today and stopped me from ordering the components and dive deeper into the Hackintosh experience... there are just two questions left:

1. Gigamaxx and Fl0r!an wrote there's no way currently to use newer AMD cards like the RX480 as the primary card or standalone. You have to set the iGPU as the primary one since there no dedicated support available right now but the Clover developers are working on that. So my question is: when i build my system tomorrow, and get it "best practice working", is it realistic that we'll see a better support or dedicated drivers in the upcoming time to get this AMD GPU working more easily, probably OOB like R280 cards nowdays? I just hope it won't turn into a drama like with Pascal cards today.

2. Did somebody of you already tested to work with Adobe Premiere and After Effects with his CUDA-less RX*** card in his Hackintosh on Sierra? I mean is the performance really so dog slow with a Skylake i7, 32GB RAM and a CUDA-less RX480 when working with Adobe products? I don't know if this is a reference, but Apple uses AMD GPUs in their systems since late 2013 also with Adobe packages and there also isn't any CUDA.

2. Did somebody of you already tested to work with Adobe Premiere and After Effects with his CUDA-less RX*** card in his Hackintosh on Sierra? I mean is the performance really so dog slow with a Skylake i7 said:
I tested the premier pro with few clips, same clips in fcpx. I made the clips 800% faster in both, and result is premier pro preview plays smoothly but fcpx stutters whenever the fastened clips come. So according to that I don't feel premier is slow with rx 480 in there.and ion premier pro I have set opencl in Mercury playback. Maybe other's rig differs.

have an MSI RX 480. I've posted recently about trying to get it to work in sierra 10.12. I tried @Gigamaxx 's advice to "Did you use the 67EO1002 definition to 67DF1002? This is no longer working you need to use 67FF or 67EF to make the change. Go back and replace the EO and then change one of the other definitions and make sure to move the info.plist to desktop before making changes. Replace it after changes and then run kext tool to get repair permissions. I tried ALL the combinations, no go. I tried @Mork_vom_Ork 's "patches for use within CLOVERs config.plist" post #1356 this thread. I restarted 5 times to get the plist changes to settle into the kextcasche, no go. I tried to use @carpentryplus25 's clover.plist spoof on post 272 this thread, no go. I have spent the last two complete days trying to get this acceleration going, no go. The device id is in ati9500 kext but every time I try to patch the x4100 it freezes on boot.
Any ideas out there? I appreciate it as I really don't want to have to return this card. Thanks for helping! johnm

I tested the premier pro with few clips, same clips in fcpx. I made the clips 800% faster in both, and result is premier pro preview plays smoothly but fcpx stutters whenever the fastened clips come. So according to that I don't feel premier is slow with rx 480 in there.and ion premier pro I have set opencl in Mercury playback. Maybe other's rig differs.

Yeh I found the same choppy playback at 8x speed. 4x works perfectly though.
In case anyone is interested in how I use the colorfinale plugin, I recorded a quick demo below.

have an MSI RX 480. I've posted recently about trying to get it to work in sierra 10.12. I tried @Gigamaxx 's advice to "Did you use the 67EO1002 definition to 67DF1002? This is no longer working you need to use 67FF or 67EF to make the change. Go back and replace the EO and then change one of the other definitions and make sure to move the info.plist to desktop before making changes. Replace it after changes and then run kext tool to get repair permissions. I tried ALL the combinations, no go. I tried @Mork_vom_Ork 's "patches for use within CLOVERs config.plist" post #1356 this thread. I restarted 5 times to get the plist changes to settle into the kextcasche, no go. I tried to use @carpentryplus25 's clover.plist spoof on post 272 this thread, no go. I have spent the last two complete days trying to get this acceleration going, no go. The device id is in ati9500 kext but every time I try to patch the x4100 it freezes on boot.
Any ideas out there? I appreciate it as I really don't want to have to return this card. Thanks for helping! johnm

You may have too many fixes going on, are you injecting Intel and ATI at the same time?
Can you post your config.plist, drag a copy to your desktop and then remove uuid and serial number.

You may have too many fixes going on, are you injecting Intel and ATI at the same time?
Can you post your config.plist, drag a copy to your desktop and then remove uuid and serial number.
Thanks, no, I did each attempted fix individually and none together. Here's my config. I appreciate you checking it out!

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.5 KB · Views: 187
Thanks, no, I did each attempted fix individually and none together. Here's my config. I appreciate you checking it out!

You have an X99 system right? I'm sorry I thought your were on a Skylake 100 series. You don't have igpu and will need a helper or support card. Do you have a Nvidia or AMD vCard that is native to Sierra, like a gt210, or AMD 5450? An older vCard is needed as igpu. I saw Nv-disable in boot arguments can you describe your system CPU, and graphics cards?

You have an X99 system right? I'm sorry I thought your were on a Skylake 100 series. You don't have igpu and will need a helper or support card. Do you have a Nvidia or AMD vCard that is native to Sierra, like a gt210, or AMD 5450? An older vCard is needed as igpu. I saw Nv-disable in boot arguments can you describe your system CPU, and graphics cards?
Asus x99pro usb3.1 Broadwell-e i7-6800k. Am I going to have to leave the helper/support card in the machine permanently?, or just until I get it setup? I tried to using different smbios and they booted with the x4100 kext with 67DF plugged into the kext plist, which it froze on boot, with my original smbios. I guess I'll try to find a support card if you can point me to a tutorial, maybe re-install all over, see if that helps,I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Asus x99pro usb3.1 Broadwell-e i7-6800. Am I going to have to leave the helper/support card in the machine permanently?, or just until I get it setup? I tried to using different smbios and they booted with the x4100 kext with 67DF plugged into the kext plist, which it froze on boot with my original smbios. I guess I'll try to find a support card if you can point me to a tutorial, maybe re-install all over, see if that helps,I appreciate the help.

Look into an AMD 5450 2gb, I picked one up for $35 US at microcenter. You need to put it in the first slot and then put the RX in the second slot and the 5450 or whatever you choose will act as igpu and activate the RX card. The R9 270x will work as well, most of the Pitcairn are compatible. Check out some inexpensive cards or if you have the money you can look at a better card. I chose the 5450 because it had 2gb, and run on 75. Watts from the pcie slot so no extra power cable was required.

One hacker used a gtx 1070 pascal for Windows, and had a RAx 480 in second slot for Sierra. I've used a Nvidia 8400gs as a igpu in dedicated pcie slot graphics.

Did you hear the fans spin when you booted to a blank screen while trying this?

Look for a card and list it and I can see if it has "native support" in Sierra. It doesn't need native support but it makes it easier to run and sleep may work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back