Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
It's ok not to use that file, if you don't have any it will default to normal aml provider in clover. I was offering it up as a replacement for your hd4600 version. I'll go back and remove it so no one else tries to use it. It was from a build guide on this forum.
I tried it again and CPU clock and voltage are behaving normally again. I'm not sure what happened with the first go-around. I stared at the values for over a minute and they did not change at all. I suppose I should have left it in there longer and rebooted a few times to get a better look at the behavior. I decided to try it again when I noticed sleep is not working properly (more on that below).

To get rid of the Display 3mb this caused by an unsupported igpu. If you try ig platform ID 0d220003 and fake ID 0x04128086 you should get Intel unknown 1536mb. Do this in clover before you boot up.
In Clover bootloader Options, do I check the box that says Inject Intel and edit the fields below it? I tried that with no change in behavior. If that was wrong, please let me know.

For the number of screens you have try using only one monitor, connect it to the igpu/motherboard at start, at clover screen scroll to options button, work on your graphics injection 0x04128086, and ig 0d220003 and at this time you can select the Intel unknown and change it to "Donkey graphics" or whatever you want to name it and then before you're ready to boot into Sierra switch the cable to the RX 480 then hit enter.
Do I do this again in Clover Configurator after I enter it in bootloader options screen? Or do I do that only if it the clover bootloader options change from above works (which it didn't).

Hopefully, you'll only have one monitor showing up as being connected and it will show with the RX card. If this works then you can use these injections and set them using clov config or other Xcode. Once you find the combo you want you can get it set permanently.
I tried this by checking Inject Intel in clover bootloader options and editing the ig platofrm id and injection and it had no effect at all. I still see the extra display.

Following up on graphics injections, I had a little time to try different options. Here's what I found (As well as more detail on the sleep issue I mentioned at the top of this post):

0. Inject ATI - false; Inject Intel = false:
- Graphics work as they should
- Third unknown display is present.
- FCPX 10.3 works fine.
- SLEEP DOES NOT WORK. Monitors go to sleep and wake up without issue, but the PC never sleeps. It keeps running. Computer sleep options are missing in Energy Saver settings. Only monitor sleep settings available.
- Very slow boot time. I get the BIOS splash screen and Clover bootloader very fast as usual, but the Apple logo and progress bar takes quite a while - about 30-40 seconds. Normally it takes just a few seconds.​

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 11.18.53 AM.png

1. Inject ATI = true Inject Intel = false; both monitors plugged into RX 480:
- Identical as above, except;
- 1 fps improvement in Valley benchmark.
- GPU correctly defined as RX 480
2. Inject ATI = true Inject Intel = false; one monitor in IGPU, one monitor RX 480:
- Same as above, except monitor connected to IGPU has poor graphics, white lines, slow refreshing, etc. Not usable in OS X, but I don't care about that. Only providing this information in the off chance it is relevant in some way.​

3. Inject ATI = true; Inject Intel = true:
- Graphics work as they should, regardless of whether one monitor is connected to IGPU or both in RX 480.
- Intel graphics display properly as HD 4600.
- Valley benchmark within 1fps Inject Intel = false, so basically the same.
- SLEEP WORKS PROPERLY
- Fast/normal boot time.

- FCPX 10.3 crashes immediately upon opening, as before (expected).
- This really seems to be the best functionality/performance out of all options, and I wish I could use it except for the FCPX crashing issue. I suppose I could continue using FCPX 10.2.3, as that works fine. Frustrating.​

I still have not bought a DisplayPort cable for my second monitor. Went to Best Buy yesterday and they had a DP to HDMI adapter, but that had no change in appearance of second monitor, so text still appears pixelated on that screen. I'm hoping the full DP cable will sort that out. My previous R9 280x had 2x DVI outputs and I had both monitors connected by DVI on the 280x, and did not have this issue.

Any ideas on the sleep and boot time issues when using Inject ATI = true? Sorting those issues out would end this saga for me.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
It may be that the 3.0 version just has bugs and is incompatible with the 2 graphics options being supported simultaneously. Have you tried to contact tech support, and see if others are having similar problems. They may not be aware of an issue with it.

For the Intel fake IDs inserting the fake ID and ig numbers allows you not to inject Intel and still get supported status. When you inject Intel it takes over and overrides those numbers. The same with inject ATI, with the new clover it takes over and injects name and the dayman Framebuffer.

I think that display is just your igpu being named display because it has no support, what's weird is the monitor showing up as connected.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
- FCPX 10.3 works fine.
- SLEEP DOES NOT WORK. Monitors go to sleep and wake up without issue, but the PC never sleeps. It keeps running. Computer sleep options are missing in Energy Saver settings. Only monitor sleep settings available.
- Very slow boot time. I get the BIOS splash screen and Clover bootloader very fast as usual, but the Apple logo and progress bar takes quite a while - about 30-40 seconds. Normally it takes just a few seconds.​

2. Inject ATI = true Inject Intel = false; one monitor in IGPU, one monitor RX 480:
- Same as above, except monitor connected to IGPU has poor graphics, white lines, slow refreshing, etc. Not usable in OS X, but I don't care about that. Only providing this information in the off chance it is relevant in some way.​

- Graphics work as they should, regardless of whether one monitor is connected to IGPU or both in RX 480.
- SLEEP WORKS PROPERLY
- Fast/normal boot time.

- This really seems to be the best functionality/performance out of all options, and I wish I could use it except for the FCPX crashing issue. I suppose I could continue using FCPX 10.2.3, as that works fine. Frustrating.​

I still have not bought a DisplayPort cable for my second monitor. Went to Best Buy yesterday and they had a DP to HDMI adapter, but that had no change in appearance of second monitor, so text still appears pixelated on that screen. I'm hoping the full DP cable will sort that out. My previous R9 280x had 2x DVI outputs and I had both monitors connected by DVI on the 280x, and did not have this issue.

Any ideas on the sleep and boot time issues when using Inject ATI = true? Sorting those issues out would end this saga for me.
The boot times / shutdown times are helped along by the Intel HD4600 accelerator. Since the AMD card has to be set more as a secondary card, it is not able to lend its accelerator to that process.

The sleep issue has been a proverbial thorn in the side for some time now in the Clover world. [By the way, the current work to get the IGPU booting problem solved is also working on that one. Some systems are able to have it others are not. ???
PM.jpg

That is mine. In Clover, I have the option dart=0 set, others need the darkwake option set. Others do not get any choice. ???

BTW, macOS Sierra 10.12.2 Public Beta Five (16C60b) is available. The relevant AMD 9500 Controller and 4100 kext have been updated to version 1.48.15, but audio is still horrifically bad.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97-D3H
CPU
Intel Core i5 - 4690K
Graphics
HD4600 , RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB
Mobile Phone
iOS
I tried it again and CPU clock and voltage are behaving normally again. I'm not sure what happened with the first go-around. I stared at the values for over a minute and they did not change at all. I suppose I should have left it in there longer and rebooted a few times to get a better look at the behavior. I decided to try it again when I noticed sleep is not working properly (more on that below).

In Clover bootloader Options, do I check the box that says Inject Intel and edit the fields below it? I tried that with no change in behavior. If that was wrong, please let me know.

Do I do this again in Clover Configurator after I enter it in bootloader options screen? Or do I do that only if it the clover bootloader options change from above works (which it didn't).

I tried this by checking Inject Intel in clover bootloader options and editing the ig platofrm id and injection and it had no effect at all. I still see the extra display.

Following up on graphics injections, I had a little time to try different options. Here's what I found (As well as more detail on the sleep issue I mentioned at the top of this post):

- FCPX 10.3 works fine.

View attachment 223792

- SLEEP WORKS PROPERLY
- Fast/normal boot time.

search solution, with Inject Intel = No , working for me

Last edited:
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
The boot times / shutdown times are helped along by the Intel HD4600 accelerator. Since the AMD card has to be set more as a secondary card, it is not able to lend its accelerator to that process.

The sleep issue has been a proverbial thorn in the side for some time now in the Clover world. [By the way, the current work to get the IGPU booting problem solved is also working on that one. Some systems are able to have it others are not. ???
View attachment 223828

That is mine. In Clover, I have the option dart=0 set, others need the darkwake option set. Others do not get any choice. ???

BTW, macOS Sierra 10.12.2 Public Beta Five (16C60b) is available. The relevant AMD 9500 Controller and 4100 kext have been updated to version 1.48.15, but audio is still horrifically bad.
Check this out. Polaris 12, Polaris 10XT2 (Crossfire card?) and Vega 10 of course. 9500Controller kext just got a whole lot bigger. There is a new 0x687F.C. card that benchmarked just under a 1080 rumored to be Vega 10 or RX 490 on the intraweb.
XT2.png Polaris 10 XT2 sounds like a R9 295X card minus 300 watts?

Update: WCCFwitech just used this graphic in a new article posted 12/7/16 about Vega 10, Polaris 10XT2, and P12. It"s credited as a leak, lol!

Last edited:

Fl0r!an

Motherboard
Asus Z170M-Plus
CPU
Intel i5-6600K
Graphics
AMD Radeon R9 280
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Polaris 10 XT2 sounds like a R9 295X card minus 300 watts?
According to AMD's previous naming scheme it sounds more like a refreshed Polaris 10 to me. They did the same with HD 7950 and HD 7970 back in the days (Tahiti Pro2 and Tahiti XT2), which ended up in the "Gigahertz Editions" (and later in the R9 rebadges). Don't know if it even was a different design, or just refined process.

Sounds way more realistical to me than a 2x P10 GPU. I hope AMD won't make this one, would look pretty desperate.

Nice find btw! ;)

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
According to AMD's previous naming scheme it sounds more like a refreshed Polaris 10 to me. They did the same with HD 7950 and HD 7970 back in the days (Tahiti Pro2 and Tahiti XT2), which ended up in the "Gigahertz Editions" (and later in the R9 rebadges). Don't know if it even was a different design, or just refined process.

Sounds way more realistical to me than a 2x P10 GPU. I hope AMD won't make this one, would look pretty desperate.

Nice find btw! ;)
Yeah, I should have worded it better, it looks like a dual gpu card not a crossfire card, they already crossfire in windows. They should've done this months ago but if it works and we get 1070 - 1080 performance levels that would be sweet, minus the 10% igpu loss, of course, we wouldn't have to worry about updates and drivers going out. If it's $400-$450 it will be interesting, it if it's in the $500-$600 range meh! It's good that it looks like P10XT2, and Vega 10 are seperate cards, but never put it past AMD to put out a power hungry almost close enough competitor card for the same price point.

Fl0r!an

Motherboard
Asus Z170M-Plus
CPU
Intel i5-6600K
Graphics
AMD Radeon R9 280
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
OS X can't make full use of dual GPU boards, so it's not a real alternative for us. It would accelerate OpenCL applications (just like two separate GPUs do), but OpenGL will be stuck at single GPU speed.

I rather think that Ellesmere XT2 thing is "just" going to be standard P10 on a refreshed process (-> better efficiency and/or higher clock rates). RX 485 or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.