Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, so I used to contribute to this thread early in the pages ~40-50 or something like this and my RX480 is doing great so far but I am currently experiencing sleep issues which could be GFX related but I am not sure.

So my question is: has anyone working sleep with the Sapphire RX480 because my Hackintosh reboots (or at least tries to reboot -> blackscreen) after like 40 minutes in sleepmode.

Hi guys, so I used to contribute to this thread early in the pages ~40-50 or something like this and my RX480 is doing great so far but I am currently experiencing sleep issues which could be GFX related but I am not sure.

So my question is: has anyone working sleep with the Sapphire RX480 because my Hackintosh reboots (or at least tries to reboot -> blackscreen) after like 40 minutes in sleepmode.

My sleep is working without issue (of course I have IGPU as primary in BIOS). Sapphire RX 480 8GB reference card.

I figured it out. Looks like I am getting 1536MB with metal support, but it says Iris Pro instead of HD4600. Might that be the issue?

View attachment 223291

@jerryy2345 Thank you for your comments. I did a search and I wasn't able to find anything about disabling HD4600 accelerators. I'm willing to try it though.

I have to take off for a while, I should be able to track down the patch when I get back. It is here on this site dealing with Safari Sierra problems.

But, in the mean time, the screen you are showing should not be there if you have inject-intel set to false in your Clover config.plist, it should be a very generic type (Gigamaxx can show it if he gets here first.) it could be that you have a strange character in your file that is corripting the config settings which causes Clover to use its default values -- one of which is inject-intel is set to be true.

I have to take off for a while, I should be able to track down the patch when I get back. It is here on this site dealing with Safari Sierra problems.

But, in the mean time, the screen you are showing should not be there if you have inject-intel set to false in your Clover config.plist, it should be a very generic type (Gigamaxx can show it if he gets here first.) it could be that you have a strange character in your file that is corripting the config settings which causes Clover to use its default values -- one of which is inject-intel is set to be true.

Oh that patch. Yes I did that on @Gigamaxx suggestion. It fixed an issue I had with video playback in Safari (that I didn't know existed because I exclusively use Chrome). It had no effect on the FCPX issue.

Iris Pro has been showing up instead of HD4600 for some time now (on a R9 280x card too) BTB has. It caused issues that I have noticed other that when I upgraded FCPX to 10.3. I wonder where I can look to find that faulty confit setting...

I have a question-When I first built this machine I set it up with Multibeast inject Intel because I didn't have discrete graphics. After adding the R9 280x I think I used Clover Configurator to add Inject ATI and I don't know if there is some config file from Multibeast that is not playing nice with Clover settings. Is that possible? If so, where can I find that and change it?

I figured it out. Looks like I am getting 1536MB with metal support, but it says Iris Pro instead of HD4600. Might that be the issue?

View attachment 223291

@jerryy2345 Thank you for your comments. I did a search and I wasn't able to find anything about disabling HD4600 accelerators. I'm willing to try it though.

I have a MSI cubi with a broadwell i3 it has HD 5500 graphics in Windows but loads Iris pro 6100 in sierra with 30 bit color.

Intel Iris graphics are generally top notch or top shelf Intel graphics on their cpus. This may be the issue because I believe that have or require more processing units than are available to the CPU. However if you get it to work it may fix the issue. Try to get the CPU graphics loaded with the 30 bit color ARGB2101010 I think that's what may be holding you back. Apple uses Iris graphics natively so if you can get it to work correctly it should provide better performance than the HD 4600 which is not supported natively.

Interesting, because my broadwell gets the 30 bit support and works very well even though I know the CPU only has half the capacity that it should.

Look in your clover main partition file in EFI backup folder. You may also check OEM folder in EFI partition (use EFIMounter, available here @ Tonymac in downloads section) Multibeast may have added contrary clover commands to what you're doing now, that could be it.

Last edited:

I read about using boot a argument for sleep on my Skylake rig darkwake=8, I use dart=0 darkwake=8 for boot arguments. For binaries I only select applertcpatch. For APCI patching fixdisplay and fix USB. I'm not sure about sound but everything else works after wake, as I use a USB sound card (Sabrient) which works as well.

Ok, have a new problem.

So I installed Clover, and the configurator on to my OSX start-up disk. Played around with the configurator, but never saved anything. Ended up deleting clover and config. app to pursue some other ideas. I removed the 8800GT card, and just left the RX 460 in place with the 6-pin connected.

I started the machine, and to my surprise it now boots to the Clover screen??? Not sure what to think of this ... I guess good, because the card is working and clover can discover the card by name. BUT, if I try to load into Sierra, the screen goes black, then a bunch of dos like info scrolls, followed by a boot chime, right back to clover. So I can't get to Sierra now.

I have no idea how to configure the settings though ... and need some help please :)

Pics of what I see:

http://www.curpiercompany.com/Files/os1.jpg

http://www.curpiercompany.com/Files/os2.jpg

I have a MSI cubi with a broadwell i3 it has HD 5500 graphics in Windows but loads Iris pro 6100 in sierra with 30 bit color.

Intel Iris graphics are generally top notch or top shelf Intel graphics on their cpus. This may be the issue because I believe that have or require more processing units than are available to the CPU. However if you get it to work it may fix the issue. Try to get the CPU graphics loaded with the 30 bit color ARGB2101010 I think that's what may be holding you back. Apple uses Iris graphics natively so if you can get it to work correctly it should provide better performance than the HD 4600 which is not supported natively.

Interesting, because my broadwell gets the 30 bit support and works very well even though I know the CPU only has half the capacity that it should.

Look in your clover main partition file in EFI backup folder. You may also check OEM folder in EFI partition (use EFIMounter, available here @ Tonymac in downloads section) Multibeast may have added contrary clover commands to what you're doing now, that could be it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my posts and make suggestions. I really appreciate it. I don't even know where to begin to try and figure this out. I just looked in the folders you suggested and honestly I'm not sure what I'm even looking for.

I just removed the RX 480 and changed nothing else. About This Mac still says Iris Pro 32 bit, but FCPX works just fine. How frustrating.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my posts and make suggestions. I really appreciate it. I don't even know where to begin to try and figure this out. I just looked in the folders you suggested and honestly I'm not sure what I'm even looking for.

I just removed the RX 480 and changed nothing else. About This Mac still says Iris Pro 32 bit, but FCPX works just fine. How frustrating.

1). In the clover folders look for the config.plist. If you click on the arrow on the clover folder it should show more folders. there is also the "config.plist" there and you can drag this onto the desktop and the original will stay in the clover folder.
2). download "Clover configurator" google it, or buy Xcode in App store (Xcode is a great tool for many uses). **Note: when you open clover configurator DONT choose Mount EFI unless you want to change your running system configuration.
3). Right click on desktop copy of config.plist and select "open with" it should show clover configurator or Xcode, select one and open.
4). Look at the "devices" section there is a place for fake ids, thats where you would put or check your Intel igpu id 0X04128086, or other variation and you can also put the ATI (AMD) id 0x67ef1002 for RX 460, or 0x67DF1002 for RX 480.
5). Check the "graphics" section and ig platform id .0220003, or other combination you want to use.
6). The "Kernels and Kext" patches this is where you would add patches to get better graphics support for the HD 4600. If you find them listed somewhere you add them here. You will sometimes find them listed like this "find 00 03 00 11 E4, replace 00 03 11 D4" , and they have "Comments" to include as well. Note, don't use these numbers I just made them up you will have to find them, RehabMan in the desktop section has great guides for Intel graphics fixes.

You can do this without affecting your build because its the desktop copy so you can try using configurator or Xcode experimenting and practicing to get fixes set correctly.
You can use EFIMounter to get your EFI clover folder access and the EFI backup file by selecting "Go" on top toolbar menu and scrolling to "Computer". Select your Sierra disk and open EFI Backups. Compare the config plist of both versions for differences. Just click on the config plist in each folder.

It's a good idea to get an inexpensive ssd 120gb or other HDD and use CarbonCopyCloner to make a copy of your system file. After copying is finished use a clover bootloader (google it for latest version) and select the spare disk as destination to mount ("Change install location" is in the third screen options). After its loaded select the EFI disk icon on your desktop and open EFI folder. The clover folder should be there, open it and drag your desktop copy of config plist into clover folder and it should give you a replace prompt. Download FakeSMCKext from Downloads section here at tonymac and place it in Clover Kext folders 10.12 and Other. Shut down system and disconnect your primary drive and try the new one. If it boots up and runs you can practice changes on it and still have your main drive for security.

After reading though the latest you have mentioned, it does seem that you have some conflicts in your setup.

First though, Gigamaxx's advice is good, but note: Xcode is free, you can get it from the App store. It only costs various amounts of money if you want a commercial developer's license. The part you would be using is the included plist editor. Xcode is a large download though, it has an largish installer which in turn downloads more largish files.

There are other alternatives, you can mount the EFI partition and then use a text editor to edit the config.plist file -- TextWrangler (free from BareBones) is excellent for this, Apple's included TextEdit is also good, but be careful with it as you must make sure things like smart quotes, etc., are turned off or you can get weirdness in your files. Also, if you are inclined you can use the Terminal app (in your Utilities folder) to mount the partition and edit the files and be reasonably confident there will be no oddness.

Back to what you are doing. Since you have said you added in the patch for the Safari issues, and are getting the Intel Iris Pro screen, it seems that you have inject intel set to true in your config.plist file. Pulling the RX480 card and having things work is because the OS is using the patched HD4600 accelerator and not trying to mix the cards. if you take the patch off, it is a 'good bet' that you will suddenly start having some issues with Safari, maybe YouTube, and FCPX 10.3.

Once you mount the EFI partition on your desktop, open it and you should see a folder called EFI and a file called boot. Open the EFI folder and you should have three more folders called APPLE, BOOT and CLOVER. Open CLOVER and there will be a lot of folders inside. Ignore those for the time being. There will also be a file called config.plist. This is the one you want to look at.

From here, the specifics for your card will be different than for my card, but some things are the same. Scroll down to the Graphics section:

Code:
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Intel</key>
            <false/>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
    </dict>

Also check the SMBIOS section and make sure you have something like:

Code:
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <string>iMac14,2</string>

where your product type is a Macintosh product that has a non-igpu graphics card (i.e. if you are using the iMac 14 series, use iMac 14,2 NOT iMac 14,1). If you are using the 15 or 17 or NN series, that still have to be one with the 'extra' graphics card.

Once these pieces are configured, the parts Gigamaxx is telling you about fake ID and whatnot for your RX 480 card will need to be taken into account. I believe that once you have this all dealt with, you will be able to go back and remove the Safari patch and it will still work with those videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back