Contribute
Register

MacOS Sierra on older Macbook Pro (mid 2009)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P6T SE
CPU
2.81 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 650 ti 1024 MB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
MacOS Sierra does not support Macbook Pro's older than 2010. I've got an 2009 Macbook Pro and I was wondering if I could Hackintosh it so it can run Sierra?

I do not know if this is possible at all, but as stated above, I am just wondering. :)

Good question. You and the Mac Pro users are asking the same question. Since Sierra has just come out for developers, we're in a wait and see mode. I've not looked at the MacRumors Forum's MacBook forum sections, but they're working on solutions in the Mac Pro fourm sections there.

For what regards Mac Pro, I've read on other forums that is possible to install on 3.1 and 4.1 models, also if apple said it supports only 5.1 and 6.1 models, with simple hacks. For the 4.1 models you can install 5.1 firmware on it with an utility that has been on the net for a while as this models actually have the same motherboard (and this gives you not only the possibility to install mac os sierra but also to install new hardware such as cpu that are compatible only with 5.1 models), for 3.1 models I've read someone saying that he succeeded just modifying some plists. For the MacBook pro mid 2009 I haven't find anything yet but, as far as I know, it has got very similar hardware to the MacBook late 2009 that is supported (actually they have same processor and same gpu) so hopefully should be simple to find a solution to run mac os sierra on it.

Last edited:
It's looking that the "regular Hachintosh way" will be how it has to be installed on the 1,1 and 2,1 model MacPros. Although a 10 year run on a machine is pretty good. Someone compared it to trying to install Mac OS 9 onto a Mac IIfx made in 1990.

And If I try to install Sierra 'the regular Hackintosh way' with Unibeast (assuming it is possible to Hackintosh it just like previous versions), is there any chance this could work? And if not, why not? Due to the fact Macs have different motherboards?

Edit: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-12-sierra-unsupported-macs-thread.1977128/
Yes, and other reasons. The MR's thread has a good solution for non supported Apple systems. However, it's still early in the game. I'd sit back and watch and gain knowledge. Sooner or later, you're probably going to need a newer MBP - used or new - as Sierra uses the newer (since 2010) Intel processors SSE4 code which the older processors don't have/support. I have two MBP 17" - a 2009 and a 2011 - I'll be replacing the 2009 with a Skylake MBP when they come out. Time marches on.

It's looking that the "regular Hachintosh way" will be how it has to be installed on the 1,1 and 2,1 model MacPros. Although a 10 year run on a machine is pretty good. Someone compared it to trying to install Mac OS 9 onto a Mac IIfx made in 1990.
LOL! I remember those days. Then, XPFactor boot loader to install Tiger and Leopard on Apple Beige Macs (7600/8600/9600).

MacOS Sierra does not support Macbook Pro's older than 2010. I've got an 2009 Macbook Pro and I was wondering if I could Hackintosh it so it can run Sierra?

I do not know if this is possible at all, but as stated above, I am just wondering. :)

Actually, I have (2) 2009 MacBook core2duo's and one has Sierra on it. The key is to determine if it has ddr3 ram or the early 2009 model with ddr2 ram. I have both those models and the early ddr2 model won't download the software. The ddr3 version no problem. Check your ram in about this Mac, system report if it's ddr3 your good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back