Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra is Now Available on the Mac App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that macOS Sierra feels more like an update instead of a new OS version? Besides Siri, there is nothing that amazed me. And Siri was really overdue. Thoughts?
I hear similar thoughts with every OSX/MACOS update. What would you expect? GUI overhaul like Win7/Win8/Win10 - people hated it, so nice that Apple didn't go that way.
Continuity/iCloudSync/Siri/"Smart" storage capacity management - I really really like these features in Sierra

On the surface it looks that way. I personally have no use for Siri and unlocking macOS with an Apple Watch. The more important changes are under the hood, like support for newer Intel chips and graphics from AMD. The Apple file system (APFS) will be finished in 2017. It's a transition similar to the one from iPhone 6 to 7, looks very much the same on the outside but there are still many refinements and improvements that are worthwhile. I'm going to stay with El Cap for at least 4-6 more months as there is nothing in Sierra I really need to upgrade for. Makes the transition easier when you wait a while.

I feel the same, I know Sierra is an easy upgrade, because it doesn't lose any features or compatibility from El Capitan. (which wasn't the case with Mountain Lion > Mavericks. I have updated both of my real Macs, and had no real world issues so far. Adobe CC, Microsoft Office, (I know lol) and all of my Steam games that worked in El Capitan work now (The older ones have been borked since Mavericks though).

I'm not going to update the Hackintoshes til there is a solid usable version though. I made that mistake before with real hardware going from Snow Leopard to Lion.

Hi Guys this problem has been driving me nuts but have finally found my answer. I have an Nvidia 660Ti graphics card.

Firstly edit AppleGraphicsControl.kext and add your Mac Board ID. Open config.plist with Clover Configurator click on SMBIOS and read what Board ID says.

Then edit AppleGraphicsControl.kext and add your Mac board ID, don't forget to add none. I use MacBookPro9,2 and it was not listed. Once I added it in saved it and loaded it with kext wizard. and rebooted my graphics card was showing correctly.

I also added in Clover boot loader CsmVideoDxe-64. In config.plist under "System Parameters" I added NvidiaWeb=true. Under boot Arg I did not add Nvda_drv=1

Hope this info helps

This worked for me, though I did NOT add the "CsmVideoDxe-64" file into Clover. I am running Clover 3763, configured as an iMac 12.2 with a nVidia GTX 650 Ti Boost. Simply edited the "AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext" within the Plugins section of the "AppleGraphicsControl.kext" under S/L/E, adding the below to the Info.plist file within;

<key>Mac-942B59F58194171B</key>
<string>none</string>

I expect though that this will again be a problem in future updates, so would be good to know if it can be patched at boot time with Clover?

Update to include below note.
NB
: I first took a copy of the kext, made the necessary updates and then reinstalled using "kext utility" per bilbo123's original post, I am sure KextBeast can be used to install updated kext too.

Last edited:
This worked for me, though I did NOT add the "CsmVideoDxe-64" file into Clover. I am running Clover 3763, configured as an iMac 12.2 with a nVidia GTX 650 Ti Boost. Simply edited the "AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext" within the Plugins section of the "AppleGraphicsControl.kext" under S/L/E, adding the below to the Info.plist file within;

<key>Mac-942B59F58194171B</key>
<string>none</string>

I expect though that this will again be a problem in future updates, so would be good to know if it can be patched at boot time with Clover?

Thank you!
Added key with my board ID to: S/L/E/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
Instead of the black monitor it now just reboots. Am I missing something? It supposed to work with NVIDIA Web Drivers? Or with native clover-injected ones?

EDIT: Reinstalled NVIDIA Web Drivers, behavior remains the same. The last thing I see in verbose screen before it turns off monitor is that some NVIDIAWeb kext loads OK (no panics).

Last edited:
I hear similar thoughts with every OSX/MACOS update. What would you expect? GUI overhaul like Win7/Win8/Win10 - people hated it, so nice that Apple didn't go that way.
Continuity/iCloudSync/Siri/"Smart" storage capacity management - I really really like these features in Sierra

To Update or Not: Just wanted some other's options - I just did my first hackintosh, have El Capitan however still don't have Audio or NVIDIA graphics working - so I'm thinking "why not" make the leap to Sierra - or is there more that could possibly go wrong???

Thank you!
Added key with my board ID to: S/L/E/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
Instead of the black monitor it now just reboots. Am I missing something? It supposed to work with NVIDIA Web Drivers? Or with native clover-injected ones?

EDIT: Reinstalled NVIDIA Web Drivers, behavior remains the same. The last thing I see in verbose screen before it turns off monitor is that some NVIDIAWeb kext loads OK (no panics).

Did you edit the kext directly, if so did you rebuild caches etc?

I actually took a copy of the kext first, made the necessary updates and then used "kext utility" (though I am sure KextBeast from TonyMac site will work too) per bilbo123's original post to install the updated kext.

I do not know what they did in this latest version Sierra 10.02.1... just know that finally the speed of my RAM is correct in "About My Mac", which had never happened before!:clap:

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2016-09-27, às 02.00.47.png
    Captura de ecrã 2016-09-27, às 02.00.47.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 323
Hi Guys, I have been trying to get my Z68X-UD3H-B3 up and running, I haven't had macos running on here since Lion but want to come back and give it a shot. I managed to get Sierra running with network but had no luck with graphics (have to run with nv_disable=1 to get to desktop (I have a GTX 570 with none standard device ID of 1086 which I have had trouble with in the past) I have latest clover installed and UEFI bios U1n. What would be great is a pack of the files needed for clover and suggestions for my card to work. Thanks Guys.
I was gonna PM some of you with my board but don't have enough posts yet :/

Last edited:
Hey guys, i'm having a problem trying to download Sierra. it's telling me "We could not complete your purchase. This version of macOS 10.12 cannot be installed on this computer.

Any reason why this is happening, i've been able to download the OS in the passed?

r1viMie.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back